Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX matches yes or no?

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX matches yes or no?

I think prequalification is based on Amex' beliefs about your income and lifestyle, NOT your credit. I could be wrong.

In my limited experience, being prequalified for a card has no bearing for whether I'm approved, it just may give a better SUB offer.

However, if you click to apply for a card when logged in, if it says "you're preapproved!", that seems solid.

I didn't attempt this until I already had a corporate card set up, so I don't know how it works if you don't have an Amex card yet. But long story short, "prequalified" is unrelated to whether you'll be approved, "preapproved" is pretty reliable. JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX matches yes or no?

Prequalified simply means you meet some basic combination of income, score, and profile that falls into the “acceptable” zone on the bell curve of their potential customer data. It is not binding and you can be declined if things don’t shake out to the liking of the lender. Being preapproved means that you’ve satisfied their requirements and is a firm offer for credit, which they must extend if you accept the terms, unless something in your reports has changed to the detriment of your profile and removed you as a viable customer based on the lender’s standards and metrics.
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.