Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX matches yes or no?

tag
Kchristophe11
New Contributor

AMEX matches yes or no?

Is it possible ro not show any matches on AMEX prequal. page and still be approved. Mine show no prequal offers but says based on your interests, the following cards may be a match...yada yada yada

I'm so confused
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX matches yes or no?

@Kchristophe11 wrote:
Is it possible ro not show any matches on AMEX prequal. page and still be approved. Mine show no prequal offers but says based on your interests, the following cards may be a match...yada yada yada

I'm so confused

Yes, I've had many Amex cards and have never been preapproved for any of them.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent years playing with the pre-app page and never got hits.  Finally just rolled the dice for a 10K approval a few years back.  If you have a specific card in mind then go for it.  Never settle for "offers" when looking at cards.

Message 3 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The best way to decide whether or not to apply is to gather opinions from fellow myFICOers. Smiley Happy

For that to happen, it'd be useful to know a little about your profile. What cards do you have right now, and when were they opened? If you have an Experian FICO 8 score available, that'd be useful too.

Message 4 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Yes, it's possible but in your case, I think you should wait. You just got BoA denial, your score is on low(ish) (650 something) end for Amex, and you have a late that's only 5 months old. Also, you just got two new accounts, but I think it's worth saying that Disco and NFCU are quite different lenders than Amex. 

So while prequal is not a guarantee of approval, nor does lack of prequal indicates a denial, I think in your case recent accounts (even if they are not reporting, inquries indicate credit seeking) and lates are the reason you're not seeing them.  Still, it does not mean you wont get approved, but I dont think that application at this time would yield good SL and terms with Amex. 

I'd wait if I were you. 

Message 5 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I've only rarely checked the pre-qualified page, and didn't find anything.

When I applied for Delta Platinum 3 months ago, the card's offer page (a website for that card, not for Amex cards in general) did say I was pre-approved for it.

I dont know if pre-qualified and pre-approved mean the same thing with Amex.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 12
Kchristophe11
New Contributor

So there's a separate page for specific cards?
Message 7 of 12
Kchristophe11
New Contributor

Ok. Did i post my DP's? That's odd.
Message 8 of 12
Kchristophe11
New Contributor

I recently got a NFCU Flagship and Discover it, but a BoA Denial. I have one late that's almost 6 months old. Experian fico 688, but expect increase next moth with payoffs. Utilization will be around 8%. I also have a Spark Business and 2 other Cap 1s. Income 180k. Oldest account 18yrs. Average age of accounts 13 yrs.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

In credit terms, a late payment 6 months ago might as well be yesterday. I agree with @Remedios - let your current crop age a bit, establish patterns of good behavior on them, let that late get beyond a year, and let your scores come up all the while, THEN app for the Amex you want. You may get it now, but you’d likely get it under much better terms later.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.