Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX multiple signing bonuses - my experience

tag
jd352
Regular Contributor

AMEX multiple signing bonuses - my experience

I know there is a lot of confusion on signing bonuses with AMEX. In fact, it seems ever their own CSR's don't know the policies that surround them. That being said, I received my 4th AMEX signing bonus last night. I will outline them below:

1. Amex Zync - 10,000 MR(E) points (10/2010)
2. Amex BCE - $100 cash back (6/2012)

3. Amex PRG - 25,000 MR points (6/2012)

4. Amex EDP - 15,000 MR points (7/2014)

I was also told by a CSR on the online chat that if I did app for the Platinum instead of converting it, I would be eligible for the 40,000 signing bonus even though I carried the PRG already. I really didn't want to app for it, although the bonus would have been nice. But, I am contemplating cancelling it anyway in a year now that our traveling plans we were looking forward to have taken another turn. For those that have had any experience closing the Platinum, were you given a retention offer to keep it open?

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX multiple signing bonuses - my experience

unfortunately, i dont think there  are enough data points out there since the May switch to lifetime bonuses to confidently say one way or another. i'd like to think that amex will be more aggressive with retention offers since they know there's less incentive for customers to boomerang back after closing the cards now.

if you decide to give it a shot, let us know what happens!

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 2 of 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@milkshakes wrote:

unfortunately, i dont think there  are enough data points out there since the May switch to lifetime bonuses to confidently say one way or another. i'd like to think that amex will be more aggressive with retention offers since they know there's less incentive for customers to boomerang back after closing the cards now.

if you decide to give it a shot, let us know what happens!

Well, I just chatted with AMEX and they said that my account (new BCP) is eligible for the sign up bonus despite previously having a Surpass card.

Message 3 of 8
MT936
Established Contributor

I thought you couldn't get any charge card bonus if you held a charge card in the past
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 4 of 8
jd352
Regular Contributor

@MT936 wrote:
I thought you couldn't get any charge card bonus if you held a charge card in the past

That is one of the reasons I posted this. I've received 2 charge bonuses, and was told I could get a 3rd. I wasn't going to chance taking on another account to see if the 3rd bonus was possible. Even when I received the PRG bonus, the fine print said if I held a charge card I would not be eligible,  but I still got it even though I had the Zync still open at the time I got the PRG. If I do try to close the Platinum, I will only keep it open if they offer me 40k MRs to keep it open. Since the heavy traveling plans got tossed to the side (person we expected to visit often is actually moving back), it's just a charge card to me. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MT936 wrote:

Yes, it's certainly possible the CSR was wrong about this!   But as OP says, things are confused.   You hear various options ranging from:

1) You can't get the bonus for card X if you previously had (or perhaps got a bonus for) card X.  It's no longer good enough not to have had it for Y months.

2) You can't get the bonus for card X if you previously had (or got a bonus on) cards in the same family (such as all charge cards)

to

3) You can only get one bonus per lifetime from Amex.

The last is really not the case!

Message 6 of 8
Involver
Valued Contributor

Yeah I've gotten bonuses on all 3 AMEX that I've opened this year.

I'm pretty sure you are only diqualified from them if you have previously had that specific card open at some point.

Message 7 of 8
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

yeah, lurking through flyeralk is seems that the prevailing (but not absolute) policy used to be:

1) if you had charge card X, you couldn't get any signup bonuses for any cards within the same family (i.e. other charge cards) for Y months.

now it seems, through the terms now, that the policy may be:

2) one bonus per lifetime per card (so different cards of the same family are eligible for bonuses).

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.