Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX offers MR points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX offers MR points

Not sure if this has been discussed or if anyone knows a way around this but whenever DOC or TPG posts about new targeted AMEX offers giving MR or cash back, I have only been getting the cash back option.  Honestly, I rather get the MR points and have never seen that appear at all.  Does anyone know how we can option for one or the other or is there no way around this?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX offers MR points

It's a crap shoot.  I have been lucky but I closed my EDP because the MR offers were running dry and since the PRG change no use for it.  I only use MR offers when they come and don't use any CB offers so I don't start a trend perhaps or I'm superstitious.  Don't get me wrong I do get both and still get a fair amount of MR offers.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if this has been discussed or if anyone knows a way around this but whenever DOC or TPG posts about new targeted AMEX offers giving MR or cash back, I have only been getting the cash back option.  Honestly, I rather get the MR points and have never seen that appear at all.  Does anyone know how we can option for one or the other or is there no way around this?  Thanks!

This exactly happened to me too!!! any advice? should we call Amex?

Message 3 of 8
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if this has been discussed or if anyone knows a way around this but whenever DOC or TPG posts about new targeted AMEX offers giving MR or cash back, I have only been getting the cash back option.  Honestly, I rather get the MR points and have never seen that appear at all.  Does anyone know how we can option for one or the other or is there no way around this?  Thanks!

In my case, this has usually depended on the card itself. For example, I currently have the JetBlue offer simultaneously on my Blue Cash Everyday and Everyday/Zync cards (MR). The BCE has $40 back after spending $200+, while my ED and Zync cards have 4,000 MR after spending $200+. This has been the case for me with most offers for as long as I can remember. 

Ditto with the Stitch Fix offer posted on TPG. $25 after spending $50+ on my BCE, or 2,500 MR after spending $50+ on my ED/Zync. Interestingly, my Blue Business Plus only has cash back for this offer, despite being an MR card.

Message 4 of 8
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

All of your American Express products seem to be Membership Rewards. Being in the financial industry, we (as humans) recognize these trends. We realize that you’re specifically in Membership Rewards products and to gain more relationship we focus towards something other than what you’re familiar with. “This person has lots of Membership Rewards products, let’s shift marketing towards ‘cash back’ products.” This can be beneficial but also un-beneficial. If you see a Membership Rewards offer for someone other than yourself, contact American Express and share your desires. At the end of the day, American Express doesn’t want to lose any wallet share and it behooves them to gain your interest regardless. Sometimes a simple discussion can do wonders!
Message 5 of 8
redpat
Senior Contributor

@IFtkkdx428 wrote:
All of your American Express products seem to be Membership Rewards. Being in the financial industry, we (as humans) recognize these trends. We realize that you’re specifically in Membership Rewards products and to gain more relationship we focus towards something other than what you’re familiar with. “This person has lots of Membership Rewards products, let’s shift marketing towards ‘cash back’ products.” This can be beneficial but also un-beneficial. If you see a Membership Rewards offer for someone other than yourself, contact American Express and share your desires. At the end of the day, American Express doesn’t want to lose any wallet share and it behooves them to gain your interest regardless. Sometimes a simple discussion can do wonders!

Good luck with that conversation with a frontline CSR.  You will get the standard boiler plate answer that goes no where. Sometimes it is what it is and there is no rhyme or reason.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 8
redpat
Senior Contributor

Well I went through mine and here is what I have

omaha steaks      40  for 1,000

virgin wines         150 for 5,000

the real real         200 for 4,000

yook                       250 for 5,000

john varvatos      250 for 7,500

pier 1                        75 for 1,500

soma                      100 for 3,000

salvator ferrm      750 for 15,000

swarovski              150 for 3,000

cole hann               150 for 3,000

the red door          175 for 5,500

harry & david          75 for 2,000

stitch fix                   50 for 2,500

madwell                 120 for 2,500

ebags                      100 for 2,000

rover                          75 for 2,000

mgm                        250 for 5,000

homewood            250 for 5,000

fananatics             100 for 1,500

telecharge               75 for 1,500

grand total $3,385 for 77,500 mr points that's 22.89 times.

I will probally use only five or six from this list.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

For some reason most of my offers lately have been cash back themed, rather than MR. It would be nice if they specifically  targeted the cards you have, whether they be MR or CB. My BCE should get targeted offers for CB, while the Gold and ED should be MR releated. < Too Logical?

I guess at the end of theday it doesn't matter, as it's still a reward/discount either way. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.