Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX platinum or Chase SR?

tag
onecoolamigo
Established Member

AMEX platinum or Chase SR?

I just wanted to add my question to the interesting contributions made about these two cards with huge AF. In terms of the lounge access in the airports, what is better to have, especially if you travel mainly abroad? And what about travel within the US? And overall, taking into account travels both globally and domestically? I am thinking of appying to one of these cards and still have mixed feelings reading all opinions... 

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 826
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX platinum or Chase SR?

You will have to actually list the airport you will be using, airlines you will be using, then see which has better offers.

Message 2 of 30
onecoolamigo
Established Member

Thanks. Most likely it is going to be JFK, Charlotte, both airports in Washington DC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Boston, Atlanta...

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

are significant number of your trip on delta airlines? platinum will get you into skyclub (no free quest) if you fly delta.

if not, amex centurion lounge (2 free quest) is currently available in SFO, amex says soon centurion lounge will be in PHX, CLT, JFK. Platinum's PP access (2 free quest) doesn't include restaurant in PP list.

CSR's PP will get you into a lounge in all airport you listed, including PP listed restaurants. Quality varies. 2 free quest.

Message 4 of 30
onecoolamigo
Established Member

Not really, it depends on the availability and best options especially on international routes. I am not so much concerned about the airports abroad because majority of major airports have great lounges with Priority Pass(I am not sure about AMEX cards). I am mostly thinking about airports within the US...After reading some inputs I made a conclusion that it is better to have AMEX for US travels (variety of lounges with acceptance of AMEX card) while on international - CSR? Am I right? However, this thought does not make easier my choice: what is better overall for both international and domestic travel? It is too much to pay AF for both cards...Whats is your advice?

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

In your scenario, I will go with CSR, for the following reasons:

1. more accepted abroad

2. better rental insurance and trip delay/cancellation insurance

3. lounge with restaurant options

4. travel credit much easier to use, effective AF much easier to cut down

Message 6 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

CSR:

Priority Pass (including restaurants and things like relaxation rooms and virtual golf).

Platinum:

Priority Pass (MINUS restaurants and other non-lounge experiences)

Delta Sky Club (when flying Delta)

Centurion

International Amex

Escape

Plaza Premium

Airspace

Lufthansa (when flying Lufthansa Group, very limited)

LAX is also getting a Centurion.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 30
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

How much intl travel are we talking about here?

Message 8 of 30
onecoolamigo
Established Member

At least, once or twice a year (roundtrips)...

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last year when the Amex Platinum fee was $450 I would said Amex Platinum were the clear winner.

Now with increased annual fee and the gift card loophole gone the case is harder.

Also, Amex took away the restaurant credit for Priority Pass but you can still access those restaurants you just have pay out of pocket,

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.