Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX platinum triple dip

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX platinum triple dip

@dustinst22 I completely agree. But it is a game, and the banks are the game masters. Juicing value out of the banks is a subtle endeavor, due to the autonomous nature of these organizations, sometimes things that may naturally seem totally egregious to a consumer are completely ok with the issuer, yet something that seems benign can get your account closed.

So you have to know when to go in and when to hold back. If you push too hard youre more likely to draw unwanted attention to yourself and get an AA sooner. For the long play you want to stay more within the confines of their rules and just skate around the loopholes.

A great example here is actually the Amex Plat travel cred double dip vs triple dip. The double dip is completely fine, if they don't like it they'll eventually change it from calendar year to card membership year. But a triple dip requires taking advantage of the cancellation grace period, nabbing $200 from them, then claiming you don't get enough value from the card. When you consider it's a very small timeframe of application that even allows this to happen, yeah to me it's too risky of a move. But hey, it's a game after all, not like you'll actually go to jail if they stop you, and some people are willing to take more risks.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@marmaladepie wrote:
I tried the $100 Delta gc purchase two months ago and it DID NOT work. Had to go back and redo in $50 increments.

Yes, please always order $50 increments for GC. Worked for me for AA GC!

for OP: I dont know about triple dip. But double dip I think is good enough already, you got $400 GC without red flag from Amex for future relationship with them.

I've always ordered $100 AA gift cards for multiple years and multiple Platinum cards and never had any problem getting reimbursed.  $100 ones might be problematic for Delta cards but definitely not for AA.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

Ok, this is how I see it. You are pretty much destroying a “relationship” with Amex for a couple hundred bucks. I mean, it all depends on how you value that. If you don’t care, sure, do it BUT, I can see that you already have some AMEX cards and maybe in the future would like to get a CLI or get approved for new cards right? Well, it wouldn’t happen and all for a couple hundred bucks.

I would not recommend you to do that, you won’t be getting too much out of it when you consider the “whole thing”. Like it was mentioned before, keep the card and take advantage of all the other benefits but because of people that do that that CC companies keep on cutting on benefits because they, in the end of the day, have to pay for those credits that you would be getting and that cost get passed to us, legit customers. That could be actually an easy way to get into AMEX blacklist, so if that’s what you are secretly looking for, go for it!

I get that some people are saying here that this is a game and that the card was design for that and so on. I have to say that I disagree. First, this is only a game because THEY let you play. If they don’t give you a credit card, there’s no game to play.
Also, I bet that the card was not designed for that, taking advantage of the 30 grace period is not what the card was designed for. I also read here that CC companies do that all time, that they take advantage of people that can’t take care of their finances. Well, it’s not actually their fault, they offered you credit and you didn’t pay back, sorry, it’s not their fault. If you can’t/ don’t know how to use a CC, don’t get one or learn first and then get one. Easy.

Like I mentioned before, I don’t think that doing that is worth ruining a relationship with a bank that is willing to give you credit but this is me, we may have different opinions here.
Message 13 of 19
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Yeah, go ahead and milk them and you won't be getting anymore SUBs with them.  

So do it at your own peril and hope it was worth it for a couple of hundred bucks, jeez.....

200 dollars is 200 dollars.  If you get the Amerprise version there is no sign up bonus anyway.  I doubt this gets you on the no sign up bonus list.  People are self-refering which seems something much more risky.  This is using the card as designed and then cancelling.  More likely they will just take longer to credit everyone's travel credits to prevent this.  

It's been shown multiple times that you can do this with the Ameriprise and then app for a normal Platinum and get the SUB for it.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is zero difference between doing the triple dip and the double dip.  Really if they wanted to stop the triple dip they could say once per calender year like other banks do. 

Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

I am confused OP. Your siggy says you got the Platinum March 2018? So you have an airline credit to use in 2018, then one to use early 2019 if you so choose?

Not sure how you intend to triple dip with an existing Platinum, or trying to get a second?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I think I'm confused now haha!

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe he's getting the Charles Schwab flavor.  Amex seems to come out with new flavors of platinum every once in awhile.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@marmaladepie wrote:
I tried the $100 Delta gc purchase two months ago and it DID NOT work. Had to go back and redo in $50 increments.

Yes, please always order $50 increments for GC. Worked for me for AA GC!

for OP: I dont know about triple dip. But double dip I think is good enough already, you got $400 GC without red flag from Amex for future relationship with them.

I've always ordered $100 AA gift cards for multiple years and multiple Platinum cards and never had any problem getting reimbursed.  $100 ones might be problematic for Delta cards but definitely not for AA.

@Anonymous to know. Thank you @Anonymous

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.