AMEX premium cards adding Trip Insurance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX premium cards adding Trip Insurance

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I had used roadside assistance a few times. I'll see what my other cards offer and may get AAA again.

Looks like Costco and Rewards+ are the leaders again on extended warranties - unless Citi nerfs it like they did on most other cards.

Amex is only getting rid of the Roadside Assistance Hotline, not the Premium Roadside Assistance.

Where did you read that? The TPG article doesn't go into detail.

"Other changes

Finally, American Express is removing two underutilized benefits across the board: Travel Accident Insurance, which covers expenses specifically related to death or dismemberment during a covered trip, and Roadside Assistance. Amex reports that fewer than 1% of cardmembers have utilized these benefits, so the impact should be limited here."

I called Amex CSR. Premium Roadside Assistance will remain. TPG just updated their article. 

Message 11 of 17
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:

This is fantastic news!  The only downside for me appears to be losing Roadside Assistance.  I've only used it about 4 or 5 times over the years  (that works out to about once every 4 years), but it was always a nice added value and I've never needed AAA or similar coverage due to it.

Edit: Thanks for the TPG link @wasCB14.  And yes, @imaximous links to TPG are fine on myFICO.  Basically, the policy would just be no links to sites deemed unethical or illegal.

@K-in-Boston I only keep AAA because of the nice discount I get on Marriott properties.  

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would be nice if Travel protection was on Gold as well, that's the main reason I don't use that card for travel purchases. 

Message 13 of 17
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

According to Dans deals, premium roadside assistance is going bye bye.

Will be interesting to see who’s right.

https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-w...

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:
According to Dans deals, premium roadside assistance is going bye bye.

Will be interesting to see who’s right.

https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-w...

We will find out next week. Hopefully, the Premium Roadside Assistance stays around. Saves me $7 a month not having to get Roadside service from my car insurance.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully premium stays as it was a factor in saying no to roadside on my insurance. (But my Sonata came with roadside anyway)

The Gold having a 300 USD reimbursement for 12 hour really makes my Gold card feel premium. I at least have something to cover a hotel room and food in case of an overnight delay.

Definitely fixes the long time complaint about the Platinum. Now I’m definitely more interested in the Platinum down the line.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here with my last two cars. Which begs the question, could I elect to have that coverage taken off the Price? Because I'me sure we're pyinfg for it. lol

But if it's covered on most Amex CC I carry, then there's no need to have it included with my Vehicle.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.