Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX prepaid card-any benefit?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

AMEX prepaid card-any benefit?

I had applied for AMEX and was denied. Recently, I asked them to resend my rejection letter and today I receive email saying since I was denied why not get their prepaid card.

Is there any benefit to my next AMEX app if I have this card and Have history of using this card responsibly? I know the card doesn't impact my CR.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX prepaid card-any benefit?

@Duncanrr wrote:
I had applied for AMEX and was denied. Recently, I asked them to resend my rejection letter and today I receive email saying since I was denied why not get their prepaid card.

Is there any benefit to my next AMEX app if I have this card and Have history of using this card responsibly? I know the card doesn't impact my CR.

I don't think that their Pre~paid card will increase your odds of approval.   They might soft your reports more often however, which could potentially lead to a pre~approval for a charge card in the future, for whatever that is worth.    It will still come down to your credit reports when you apply.... 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 49
LOC
Contributor

Actually it does help. They have a program called Make Your Move that allows you to graduate to a regular charge card.

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 696
Goal Score: 850

Message 3 of 49
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@LOC wrote:

Actually it does help. They have a program called Make Your Move that allows you to graduate to a regular charge card.

The make your move program does not graduate AMEX prepaid cards into charge cards.     All that it offers is the possiblity that it will lead to a future pre~approval to apply for a charge card.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 49
Jlu
Established Contributor

^+1

Don't listen to that guy, your AMEX Prepaid will NEVER graduate! 

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 5 of 49
LOC
Contributor

It is not a guarantee but it allows you to establish financial history that will increase your chances of getting a charge card with them.

Message 6 of 49
LOC
Contributor

It worked for me... i was approved for a Zync card NPSL after using a prepaid card for three months.

Message 7 of 49
CS800
Super Contributor

Maybe it does give AMEX some insgith as to how you manage your payments, etc

But one will still ahve to go through a credit hard pull etc to qualify for a charge/revolver.

Message 8 of 49
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@LOC wrote:

It worked for me... i was approved for a Zync card NPSL after using a prepaid card for three months.

How were your reports looking at the time? If they were looking decent before you started using the prepaid card and the same after 3 months, you probably could've gotten approved even without having to use the prepaid card.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 9 of 49
Jlu
Established Contributor

LOC - Was there a clear connection between your approval and your prepaid card? I am willing to bet it was coincidence.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.