Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX prequal

tag
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

AMEX prequal

Hey MyFicoers. It's been about 7 months since the last time I posted on here. Been hanging out in my little garden trying to stay out of trouble. So here's my question.

A few months back I checked Amex site to see if I qualified for anything and it gave me the we can't match you to any offers at this time. I looked today it gave me based on your interest we recommend the following cards.

Platinum Card: can't justify the $450 annual fees

BCP: don't want the $75 annual fee but the rewards are nice

BCE: the card I'd probably apply for.

So how accurate is AMEX site?

Cap 1 QS1 - $3300, Kemba CU - $500, Chase Freedom - $500, Sears MC - $751, Sears - $2000, Hot Topic - $1230, Grismer - $1200, Target - $1800, Walmart - $200, Home Depot - $500, Discover IT Chrome - $7000, Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX prequal

Amex pre-equals are often solid.  But like anything, it is not a guarantee and a YMMV thing....

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked today it gave me based on your interest we recommend the following cards.

That is not a pre-qual.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked today it gave me based on your interest we recommend the following cards.

That is not a pre-qual.

+1

It will say something along the lines off "we've found these pre qual offers for you"

Message 4 of 18
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Was curious as to what to look for. 

Cap 1 QS1 - $3300, Kemba CU - $500, Chase Freedom - $500, Sears MC - $751, Sears - $2000, Hot Topic - $1230, Grismer - $1200, Target - $1800, Walmart - $200, Home Depot - $500, Discover IT Chrome - $7000, Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's better to get pre qualified. 

I'm prequal for

platinum: 100k points instead of 40k

BCP: $250 reward instead of $150

I think you can wait and get better credit scores and check your pre qualifications online. 

Message 6 of 18
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

Lol I don't even know what my updated scores are. I forgot about this place for a while since I had rehabbed my credit report. Been gardening. 

Message 7 of 18
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Yeah it will not say recommended, it will definitely say prequalifed on top, and usually it will have a better offer than wants on the amex website.

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for a point of reference, Amex has never given me a prequalified offer.  I cold apped for both of mine.  If you have nice scores and decent income, go ahead app if you don't have any baddies on your report.  Mind you, the BCP if you use it for your gas and groceries will more than make up for the AF, even with using your freedom for their gas quarters.  Good luck and let us know what you do!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should also make sure you get a set APR in your prequal offer.  If you see the word "prequalified" and the offer includes a set APR (not a range), then it's a pretty strong indication that you're g2g.  

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.