Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX question

Just got approved for my first Amex Delta Skymiles Reserve card. I have never had an Amex before and considering I have been rebuilding my credit for over a year now, I want to keep going down the right path. I have heard that AMEX does not show up on my credit report for 2-3 months? Also i heard that they don't report to credit bureaus unless you have an outstanding balance? Can anyone give me some tips on how to best manage my Amex card? I like to keep my balances down to zero on most cards to show a low UTI rate. 

17 REPLIES 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX question

Data points have started to pop up that AMEX now reports new tradelines when the card's 1st statement closes. 

As for your reporting question,  I just confirmed that every one of my AMEX cards has reported their status to Experian within the last 30 days.  7 of them (correctly) reported a $0 balance. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 18
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your new AMEX. Previously, it was typical for AMEX not to report until the 2nd statement cut. Recent DPs have shown however that they are starting to report right away now. As far as not reporting unless you have an outstanding balance, that only rings true for their business cards, not their personal cards. 

Edit: Coldfusion beat me to the punch! 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow thank you guys for the responses, I'll make sure to pay it off before my closing date on June 11th. I definitely do not want a revolving balance to bring down my scores. Does AMEX report to all 3 credit bureaus or just Experian? They seemed to only check Experian for my approval.

Message 4 of 18
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh wow thank you guys for the responses, I'll make sure to pay it off before my closing date on June 11th. I definitely do not want a revolving balance to bring down my scores. Does AMEX report to all 3 credit bureaus or just Experian? They seemed to only check Experian for my approval.

All 3. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 18
jcooks
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Be careful to not get hit with the all zero penalty.  My score dropped 20 points when I accidentally paid off all cards.

Message 6 of 18
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless you're in a position where you need to be scrambling and clawing to get every single last FICO point you don't typically need to be worrying about having multiple revolving balances report especially if you don't have utilization concerns. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 18
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Amex Delta Skymiles Reserve card approval. My AmEx reported immediately after my 1st statement.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got an AX green card.  They wasted no time in telling the 3 agencies about it. 

Tracking my balance i find it changes monthly in all 3.  They don't report the same day as cycle close, but they do report.

I'd suggest not playing games or following hearsay with reporting dates or closing dates. Pay the bill when you get the statement, in full if possible, and AX will love you forever.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks man yeah so glad I asked. Do you pay it in full by the due date then every month? Not sure wether to pay in full by due date or closing date with AMEX, first closing date on my card is June 11 and first payment due isn't till July 6

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.