cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX "Shop Small" Offer - Spend $10+, Receive $5 Back (10 Limit)

tag
MerMer495
Valued Member

Re: AMEX "Shop Small" Offer - Spend $10+, Receive $5 Back (10 Limit)

Ok, I'm blind hahahahha.  It is there in the Added to Card tab.

Thanks again!

Message 31 of 170
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

Be sure to look at the map for the approved vendors.  I was surprised at the limited number of small businesses that qualified under this offer.  Nice of AMEX to support the small businesses, though!

That must vary drastically by location.  I literally have hundreds of businesses on the list within a 2-3 mile radius.  It was odd to see Walgreen's and Enterprise on there, though - guessing independent stand-alone  franchises.

Have a lot by me. Even better, the small liquor store near my place is one of them. $10 is an easy purchase there when I need impromptu bottles of wine. 

Same here, liquor store a couple of miles away is on the list.   I know where I'll be buying beer the rest of the summer.

This post inspired me to poke around and discover that one of the included shops is a discount grocery store the next town over that has, improbably enough, an amazingly good and cheap wine section. Guess who's making the drive over there for half-off bottles this weekend? 🙋🏼‍♂️ ... with 4x SkyMiles to boot!

Message 32 of 170
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

This post inspired me to poke around and discover that one of the included shops is a discount grocery store the next town over that has, improbably enough, an amazingly good and cheap wine section. Guess who's making the drive over there for half-off bottles this weekend? 🙋🏼‍♂️ ... with 4x SkyMiles to boot!

Wooohooo! I was surpised to see a discount store in my neighborhood on the list too. Score!

Added this to my Delta Plat so I can show it some love over the next couple months. 

Thanks for reminding me about the 4X bonus!! 

Message 33 of 170
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I have this overwhelming urge to start "Amex sucks" thread, but only for "Defense rests" posts  😐

I wont, because I'm kinda grown up, and no local liquor stores are participating.

Unless by "local," you mean within like 10 meters of your house, I think your search is broken.  TRUST ME, you have a lot of merchants that are eligible, including liquor stores!

The heck??? 

I furiously opened the website so I can prove you wrong because there were none this morning,  and now it's everyone.

I hate them! 

MR Fanbois accept your apology on behalf of HRH American Express.  Heart

So, you gonna get the Wells Fargo and NFCU cards now?

I didn't apologize,  and they only fixed it because some fanboi is snitching on me. 

Nope on WF. 

NFCU, for that  I need roommate or husband.

That's a choice between setting yourself on fire and setting yourself on fire. 

Now on myFICO: roommates with benefits... Netflix and NFCU? Cat Tongue

        
Message 34 of 170
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Revelate wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I have this overwhelming urge to start "Amex sucks" thread, but only for "Defense rests" posts  😐

I wont, because I'm kinda grown up, and no local liquor stores are participating.

Unless by "local," you mean within like 10 meters of your house, I think your search is broken.  TRUST ME, you have a lot of merchants that are eligible, including liquor stores!

The heck??? 

I furiously opened the website so I can prove you wrong because there were none this morning,  and now it's everyone.

I hate them! 

MR Fanbois accept your apology on behalf of HRH American Express.  Heart

So, you gonna get the Wells Fargo and NFCU cards now?

I didn't apologize,  and they only fixed it because some fanboi is snitching on me. 

Nope on WF. 

NFCU, for that  I need roommate or husband.

That's a choice between setting yourself on fire and setting yourself on fire. 

Now on myFICO: roommates with benefits... Netflix and NFCU? Cat Tongue

Be stil my heart 😍

I wish there was *batting eyelashes* emoji 

Message 35 of 170
Anonymous
Not applicable

Warning:

I had signed  up for this offer for my  BCP and WP.  But I just read in the comments at  DoC that you can only use one offer per person (that is per SSN) and if you sign up  a  second card the offer on the first card will be retracted.  And indeed the "SmallShop" offer no longer appears  under "Added to card" of my BCP

Edit: False alarm. See here for what really happened.

Message 36 of 170
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Warning:

I had signed  up for this offer for my  BCP and WP.  But I just read in the comments at  DoC that you can only use one offer per person (that is per SSN) and if you sign up  a  second card the offer on the first card will be retracted.  And indeed the "SmallShop" offer no longer appears  under "Added to card" of my BCP

Maybe Amex has fixed it?, as I could only add it to one card. Would not let Me add to a second card.

This is what I get when trying to add to a second card.

Message 37 of 170
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Warning:

Maybe Amex has fixed it?, as I could only add it to one card. Would not let Me add to a second card.

It was only an hour ago that I added the offer to my WP. Maybe it only happens if the cards are on separate online accounts

Message 38 of 170
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Warning:

It was only an hour ago that I added the offer to my WP. Maybe it only happens if the cards are on separate online accounts

Seperate online accounts could do it.

Message 39 of 170
Gollum
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

I'm not sure how much the offer helps small businesses. The fees charged by American Express are why some small businesses don't accept American Express. I don't use either of my rewards credit cards at small businesses that I like.

Edit: I forgot about my sockdrawered Capital One credit card Smiley LOL so I guess I have three rewards credit cards.

In this case, the incentive is being fully funded by American Express.  Outside of normal processing fees, there is no additional cost to the merchants.

Amex fees being higher than other card networks is mostly a myth, and gets perpetuated by credit card processors (now that direct Amex processing is no longer required) so that they can give a merchant a bad rate and just say "well, everyone knows Amex fees are higher."  They also average out total Visa and MasterCard transactions, and because of the Durbin Amendment debit card fees are almost nothing so it skews the fee structure and makes it look like credit card fees are lower for those brands since nearly all debit cards are on those networks.

In actual percentages, Visa Signature, Visa Infinite, World MasterCard, World Elite MasterCard, and most especially business MasterCard products have higher processing fees than even the Amex Centurion Card.  This is why Citi will issue a $500 Double Cash WEMC; every swipe is about .85% more in their pocket than a basic non-rewards consumer MasterCard. 

If I am faced with "we don't accept Amex," my first go-to is always a Visa Infinite Card.

I could be missing something, but I don't understand how that strategy supports small businesses that don't accept American Express.

I used to pay with cash at small businesses that I like so those businesses could avoid processing fees for credit cards, but I wasn't sure that was a good strategy because more cash on hand seemed like it would make that small business a more tempting target for robbery. I have read that rewards credit cards have higher processing fees than non-reward credit cards. In order to support small businesses that I like, now I pay at those small businesses with a non-rewards credit card (I have read that non-rewards credit cards have lower processing fees than rewards credit cards).

Edit: I used strikethrough (a line through part of what I already posted) on a redundant statement.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 40 of 170
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.