Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX "Transfer available credit to another Card" feature

tag
jason10
New Contributor

AMEX "Transfer available credit to another Card" feature

Is this something new? I've read about people moving credit lines when consolidating cards but I assumed that was something that was only done as a special request. After activating my new Starwoods Preferred card a new link appeared above "Dispute/Inquire about Account Activity". Basically, it allows you to transfer credit from any of your AMEX cards in $100 increments. I was able to transfer $2,000 from my unused Blue card to my new SPG account resulting in a $5,000 CL. Very handy. Anyone else use this feature?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX "Transfer available credit to another Card" feature

Yes, this is a feature that has recently been reinstated for amex cardholders. 

Are you saying you were able to immediately transfer credit limit from an existing card to a card you were recently approved for?  I read someone say they were turned down when trying to transfer limit to a new card, which is something I will need to do with my Hilton I was just approved for, so I'm hoping they will allow me to move some of the limit from my blue cash.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 19
jason10
New Contributor

Yes, I was able to transfer $2,000 from my 4 year-old Blue card to my new SPG card (applied on 4/3, activated today). I was asked how much I wanted to transfer as well as my HHI. You can transfer any amount (in $100 increments) of your choosing so long as you leave at least a $500 CL on each card. The request was immediately approved and my CL updated instantly. The approval page said it would update within 15 minutes.

I was able to transfer to/from any of my cards, and the link remains after making a transfer.

Message 3 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Well, that's good news.

$500? I wonder if that's different now, or different from person to person, as I thought the limit was $1000

Message 4 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@jason10 wrote:

Is this something new? I've read about people moving credit lines when consolidating cards but I assumed that was something that was only done as a special request. After activating my new Starwoods Preferred card a new link appeared above "Dispute/Inquire about Account Activity". Basically, it allows you to transfer credit from any of your AMEX cards in $100 increments. I was transfer $2,000 from my unused Blue card to my new SPG account resulting in a $5,000 CL. Very handy. Anyone else use this feature?

jason10, where exactly did you see the link? I don't have a link called "Dispute/Inquire about Account Activity", or at least, not on the main page.

I'm always baffled by AmEx's website. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'm always baffled by AmEx's website. Smiley Tongue

It's tough to navigate.  Sometimes I think they have 4 different websites at any given time and it's just up to chance as to which one you're taken to.

Message 6 of 19
jason10
New Contributor

It's not on the main page. Select the Recent Activity or Online Statement links for one of your cards. The "Dispute/Inquire about Account Activity" link will be on the bottom left. The "Transfer Available Credit to another Card" link should be directly above it.  If you don't see the link, try another card.

For some reason the link wasn't showing for my Blue card but was displaying for my Costco TE and SPG cards. The next time I logged in, it was available for the SPG and Blue but not the TE. It doesn't really matter. So long as you have the link on one of the pages, you can transfer credit to/from any card.

Message 7 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Found it, thanks.  This will come in handy when I get my Hilton card if they approved me for $2k again, I'll transfer some from my Blue Cash that I rarely use.

Message 8 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Thaks, it worked! The link was on the older card (the Blue). I transferred $3K to the Costco to make it $10K, leaving Blue at $2K.

It does ask you to enter your income, with the options to use household income or provide alimony, if you want. I just entered the same figure that I entered first time around (an accurate figure, btw. Smiley Very Happy)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 19
android01
Valued Contributor

I just tried the transfer balance feature to transfer 5k from my Delta Card to my Costco card and I got a 7-10 day message!  I wonder what that's all about.  I thought that if you have the transfer feature available, it's just a transfer from one card to another.  At least that's what I'm hoping, and this doesn't result in a hard pull.  Weird....Smiley Indifferent

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.