cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX relationship post clawback and ban?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX relationship post clawback and ban?

Greetings everyone!

I'm unsure if this is the correct forum, but I wanted some feedback from people who were part of the big Amex clawback. I had all my cards cancelled and have since applied for another card with them which resulted in an instant review then denial. Has anybody had any luck on opening new cards after that? Should I expect that I am indefinitely banned from new Amex accounts?

Cheers

21 REPLIES 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX relationship post clawback and ban?

Im going to call it a hunch and say you are on their blacklist..tuff to say what level though.

Message 2 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Greetings everyone!

I'm unsure if this is the correct forum, but I wanted some feedback from people who were part of the big Amex clawback. I had all my cards cancelled and have since applied for another card with them which resulted in an instant review then denial. Has anybody had any luck on opening new cards after that? Should I expect that I am indefinitely banned from new Amex accounts?

Cheers

Just to be clear...we're talking about self-referrals?

The old test for whether someone was on the blacklist was to see if they pulled a credit report. Blacklisted applicants would not have their credit pulled. I'm not sure if it's still a reliable test.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Greetings everyone!

Cheers

The old test for whether someone was on the blacklist was to see if they pulled a credit report. Blacklisted applicants would not have their credit pulled. I'm not sure if it's still a reliable test.

Yup, self referrals. Hmm since I had accounts with them, it was a soft-pull so I wouldnt be sure I could check that.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your denial.

Message 5 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Since this was a fairly recent event, I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of being approved for a while - possibly ever - due to rewards abuse.  I'd maybe try once a year to see what happens, but that bridge has been decidedly burned, at least for now.

Message 6 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, so they closed all 4... Platinum, Gold, Schwab Investor and Everyday?

Yeah, it's unclear for how long you'll remain on their naughty list due to what the RAT team may have concluded for this particular AA.

On the plus side, at least no HP. 

Message 7 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Greetings everyone!

Cheers

Yup, self referrals. Hmm since I had accounts with them, it was a soft-pull so I wouldnt be sure I could check that.

It really isn't a SP.  More or less, the application cross-referenced their internal database which likely resulted in the auto-decline. 

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Since this was a fairly recent event, I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of being approved for a while - possibly ever - due to rewards abuse.  I'd maybe try once a year to see what happens, but that bridge has been decidedly burned, at least for now.

I guess I'll give that a try.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

OP, so they closed all 4... Platinum, Gold, Schwab Investor and Everyday?

Yeah, it's unclear for how long you'll remain on their naughty list due to what the RAT team may have concluded for this particular AA.

On the plus side, at least no HP. 

Yes sir, plus a Cash Magnet, Delta Gold and a BBP.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.