Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX rep. way too optimistic.

tag
jumpinjax
New Contributor

AMEX rep. way too optimistic.

So, I was wondering a scenario (not mine) of a bk ch. 7 3.5 years out, with a clean record, only the bk showing up, and a credit score of 704.

**Rep's name hidden for privacy**

This was the chat online -

Welcome to American Express Live Chat! The next available Customer Care Professional will be with you shortly.

For quality assurance, this chat may be recorded and monitored. For your security, please click "END CHAT X" to close this chat window before leaving your computer unattended or when chat is complete.

Thank you for contacting American Express. My name is Rep. How may I assist you with your new Card application today?

you: Rep, does amex approve applications with 3.5 years post ch.7, with perfect credit thereafter and a 704 credit score. I dont want a denial inquiry if the latter is the case.

Rep: Thank you for your interest in American Express! Actually, we base our cards for our card members off of the benefits, rewards, and features that they would like their new card to have. Also, your application decision is based on a variety of factors, including information you provide on your application and information from other sources such as consumer reporting agencies. The outcome can only be determined once the application has been submitted and processed.

Rep: With this in mind, do you know of which card or cards that you are interested in applying for today?

you: i like the delta card or green

Rep: Awesome! Both of these cards carry great benefits! May I ask, what is it that you like about both of these cards?

you: I travel with delta alot, figured it would make sense, and the green would actually allow for flexibility when traveling.

Rep: That is correct! Both of these cards have excellent travel benefits. What other benefits are you looking for your new card to have?

you: i like the membership rewards and no pre set on the green since you have to pay it in full monthly. delta is revolving i presume, so that fits for times i would need to carry a balance. I currently have a cobranded card, the only benefit is it is on the amex network.

Rep: I would like to let you know of a benefit that comes with the Green Card, which is, you can transfer your membership rewards points into a frequent flyer program. Which Delta is part of this program.

you: nice,

you: so is there a aversion to those with a bk on record

Rep: Actually, we do not take in only one set factor of the application decision. We actually take in a variety of information. We take in information that you provide on your application, and we also take in information from consumer reporting agencies.

Rep: Also, if you were to apply for one of our Delta Skymiles Card, you may be able to receive your first checked bag fee waiver, just as long as the bag is not oversized or overweight on all Delta and Delta Connect flights.

Rep: You will also receive a 20% inflight savings in the form of a statement credit on eligible pre-purchased meals and in-flight purchases of food, alcoholic beverages, movies, television shows and video games accessed via Delta's seatback in-flight entertainment system, and audio headsets on Delta-operated flights.

Rep: And, our Delta Skymiles Cards also come with priority boarding!

you: very nice

Rep: Yes, if you were looking to get the most benefits out of your flights with Delta then I do recommend our Gold Delta Skymiles Card! Let me tell you more about this card!

Rep: The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card lets you earn miles for your spending which can be used toward Award Travel.

Rep: With this Card, you can earn 2 miles per dollar for eligible Delta purchases and 1 mile for virtually all other purchases on the Card.   You can use miles for Award Travel.  Roundtrip Award Tickets start at 25,000 miles plus at least $5.00 in taxes and fees.  And you can check your first bag free on every Delta flight (waiver is only for normal bag fee for the first checked bag that is not overweight and not oversize under Delta’s applicable rules) - that's a savings of up to $50 per person on a roundtrip Delta flight or up to $200 for a family of four!

you: I will try, thank you.

Rep: I will be more than happy to provide you the link to this card! - 'this by the way opened a new window automatically'

Rep: To apply, please follow this link to access full benefit information for the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card.   When you are ready to apply, please click on the “Apply Now” button on the page which will take you to the online application.  

Rep: https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/delta-skymiles/25330

Rep: Using your Card for everyday purchases can help you earn miles quickly.  For instance, if you spend $160 per week on the Card for things like groceries, dining out, gas, and entertainment, you can earn over 8,000 miles for the year.  This is nearly a third of a starting Roundtrip Award Ticket, for simply using the Card for purchases.

Rep: I would also like to give you some details of the welcome bonus that you can receive today!

Rep: You can enjoy all the benefits of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card for an annual membership fee of $95.  And, as an introductory offer, we will waive the annual membership fee for the first year.  Also, by applying today, you can earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.  (Terms and restrictions apply.  See online application for details.)

Rep: I just want to check in and see how the application is going!

you: i am filling it out as we speak

Rep: Awesome! I just wanted to check in and make sure that everything is going okay with the application.

you: thanks again Rep, you are so optimistic

Rep: Thank you! It brings me joy to know that are card members and non card members are happy and are satisfied with the card that they are interested in!

Rep: our**

______end of chat_____

Anyway, I have no need for any of these cards, however, this rep's enthusiasm is a bit propagandish for people who fall under the bk category.  I'm not saying impossible, but caveat emptor if you want another inquiry that may not get you approved.

Thought I'd share this experience.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX rep. way too optimistic.

I guess I'm not following because Amex will approve with a bk and they do base decisions on way more than having a bk or not and you picked 2 of the easiest underwriting cards Amex offers.

Message 2 of 7
jumpinjax
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I guess I'm not following because Amex will approve with a bk and they do base decisions on way more than having a bk or not and you picked 2 of the easiest underwriting cards Amex offers.

credit, I am unsure, I know of one guy who iib them in '02 and can't seem to get in, only to file again in '10 not including amex.  I guess this has something to do with a black list. 

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jumpinjax wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

credit, I am unsure, I know of one guy who iib them in '02 and can't seem to get in, only to file again in '10 not including amex.  I guess this has something to do with a black list. 

Including them in a bk and having a bk on file are 2 different things.

probably won't get in for at least 10 years if you ever included them... I think I have read some exceptions

Message 4 of 7
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

Peronally I applied for Amex PR Gold 8 years post BK

and was denied , even after manual review

but I did learn that they consider more than just BK ( they were not included in mine)

They also cited that I had too few active accounts ( 1 credit card at the time active, rest were AU or joined) and no installment accounts

(Car loan was paid off years back)

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Goal Score: 800+ across the board | Goals Hit: 3 Active Cards: 2

Gardening Since: October 2015 Garden Goal: Oct 2018

Wish List: | None

Message 5 of 7
Settemio
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jumpinjax wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

probably won't get in for at least 10 years if you ever included them... I think I have read some exceptions

I was blacklisted. I defaulted on Amex in 1990, only like $800. But they would not accept me back until 2010.

Message 6 of 7
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Settemio wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jumpinjax wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I was blacklisted. I defaulted on Amex in 1990, only like $800. But they would not accept me back until 2010.

Optimistic? Sure, but she's also doing her job. She has no idea if you'll be approved or not (or the person in the scenero you brought up) but she's not going to lose a potential customer for her company by saying there's no way you'll be approved. I bet you'll get simliar answers if you left out the BK part or listed the BK as 24 hours old. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.