Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX's Best Shot To Date

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

AMEX's Best Shot To Date

Hi, all!

I'm not a big fan of AMEX, and I've ignored the numerous offers they've sent to me...until now. 

They may get me with this one. 

It's for a Premier Rewards Gold Card.  They'll give me $750 in gift cards (75,000 points) if I spend $1000 within the first three months.

It's got me to thinking.  I mean, I can't ever be bought...but I can be rented!

Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
alph4
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX's Best Shot To Date

That's a great offer. Not to mention its a great offer on one of the best AmEx non-revolvers out there.  Premier Rewards Gold is the best charge card in my opinion, if you don't need airport lounge access etc. that the Platinum offers.

You could also transfer the MRP's to an airline to get some free tickets besides the gift cards.  If you transfer them and use them to get first class travel, they could be worth more than $750.

Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 2 of 15
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Thanks for that input, alph4!  I'm really considering this card, just for that $750. 

As far as converting the points for first class airfare...I didn't know that could be done, but it matters not. 

I'm cheap.  The airlines still refuse to sell me outside "wing-seating", or to let me fly as baggage.  Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 15
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I really don't know how you can turn that offered down, haha.

Message 4 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Arggghhh.  So jealous.  Love this card but I got it under a much less lucrative offer.  Anyway, glad you are able to take advantage of it.  Like I said, I really like this card, but even if you aren't inclined to keep it, I think you should take the offer just for the bonus points.  Unless you've got a mortgage app coming up and already have a few inquiries, can't really see why you wouldn't.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 15
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Yeah 75,000 points could be one or two flights depending on airline and places traveled. I would definitely jump on that offer. Also since the first year is free. I love my PR Gold and I only got the generic 10,000 points I think.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 6 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I'd say go for it. $750 gift card is very nice offer. Assuming you can spend enough to overcome $175 of AF starting at second year, keep it.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

It's got me to thinking.  I mean, I can't ever be bought...but I can be rented!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 15
ferrari
Regular Contributor

There is currently a 50% bonus if you transfer to Delta Skymiles. So you will get 1.5 x 75000 miles. The miles can be used to buy AMEX gift cards if you also have a AMEX  Delta Skymiles credit card. So if you apply for both cards you get 30000 miles bonus for applying to AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles and 112500 miles from transferring the 75000 points to Skymiles. That's a total of 142500 miles devided by 11000 is $1295 in AMEX gift cards or they can be used to purchase rewards tickets which is even better.

Message 9 of 15
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@ferrari wrote:

There is currently a 50% bonus if you transfer to Delta Skymiles. So you will get 1.5 x 75000 miles. The miles can be used to buy AMEX gift cards if you also have a AMEX  Delta Skymiles credit card. So if you apply for both cards you get 30000 miles bonus for applying to AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles and 112500 miles from transferring the 75000 points to Skymiles. That's a total of 142500 miles devided by 11000 is $1295 in AMEX gift cards or they can be used to purchase rewards tickets which is even better.

That is amazing! 

I've got to say that I'm still not sure about kissing AMEX right on the lips, but it's hard to say "No"  after your explanation of how to milk those points!

Thanks, ferrari!

P.S. 

The hard part about thanking anyone in a forum post is leaving somebody else out who deserves thanks, too...and you all do...I thank each and every one of you, for sure!  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.