Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX scrutiny clarification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX scrutiny clarification

I need some clarification on Amex's 3x normal spending. I have heard it mentoned in these forums that Amex may impose a CL on a charge card or impose a FR if a person spends near 3X their normal spend in a short period of time.

By 3X this how many dollars you spend in say 1 month, or a certain period.

Amex knows that I usually spend 1k a month.  They also know that every week or two I pay off the balance.

If I apply for a new Amex card,  For example the Gold card.

To meet the new card's minimum spend for the bonus I need to put 4k through the card.

I spend 4k in the first month because I have home improvements and  car maintanance to do.

How would Amex look at this?  I supose Amex would take into consideration if I was making weekly payments to keep the balance lower?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX scrutiny clarification

I spend 3x my revolving limits monthly. Never had a problem. If they get uneasy with you and the gold, they'll call to recommend a payment. If you don't answer, they'll decline the charge and you'll call them. 

Message 2 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I need some clarification on Amex's 3x normal spending. I have heard it mentoned in these forums that Amex may impose a CL on a charge card or impose a FR if a person spends near 3X their normal spend in a short period of time.

By 3X this how many dollars you spend in say 1 month, or a certain period.

<snip>

You seem to be referring to American Express's formula that is part of their determination of the internal limit on a NPSL card.  

That is only one part of the equation of determining the limit for NPSL and isn't even used at all for many cardholders.  I often go many months, perhaps a year or more without making any meaningful charges on one or both of my personal charge cards but if I suddenly make a $10,000+ purchase I have no issues on a card that has seen average spend of $200 or even $0 for months on end.

Financial Reviews and hard limits are never placed as a result of simply spending more than you normally do (obvious exceptions if you decide to start spending $100k a month when you declared a $50k annual income).  However, as a result of a FR a hard limit can be placed.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if you're unsure of how it will look, call in and talk to a CSR and tell them you want to make some out of the normal range expenditures due to the reasons you mentioned, and ask if they'll note the account and set it up for you to approve. Assurance that the payments will be no problem and will be made weekly as in the past may help your case as well. Blindsiding them may not be so good. K-i-B has a very long and established history of high card usage with Amex and I'm not surprised that his results are as stated. The rest of us would better our odds by letting Amex know that non-normal spend is coming.

Message 4 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

And if you're unsure of how it will look, call in and talk to a CSR and tell them you want to make some out of the normal range expenditures due to the reasons you mentioned, and ask if they'll note the account and set it up for you to approve. Assurance that the payments will be no problem and will be made weekly as in the past may help your case as well. Blindsiding them may not be so good. K-i-B has a very long and established history of high card usage with Amex and I'm not surprised that his results are as stated. The rest of us would better our odds by letting Amex know that non-normal spend is coming.

Totally agree; also using the Check Spending Ability for large purchases that you plan to make can be useful.  (My reply was more addressing the "spending more than 3x your average spending is going to result in a Financial Review," which generally speaking isn't going to happen to most people unless Amex suspects something very risky going on.  The more common scenario for people without long and established histories/profiles is that either a charge is declined or charging ability is paused until a payment has been made.  But as a matter of course, very few people will ever see an actual Financial Review from Amex, and certainly not for something mundane like spending $2,000 one month when their average statements have been $500.)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the clarifications and good points.

1) call  and let Amex  csr know that you have some higher then normal expenses coming. ie medical, home renovations etc.

2) they would also use a formula to gauge your income in relation to the charges. hence the FR.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may not even come to that. As long as the charges aren't absurd compared to what you told Amex you earn, and you've got a good payment history with them, they're likely to approve the outsized charges. If the discrepancy is significant they may say "yes but please make a payment before using your card after that" or make some other stipulation but just letting them know can go a long way. If you've built some trust with them they're likely to OK it since you've demonstrated that you don't outspend your capacity to repay. The reason I mention calling it in rather than using the Check Spending Power button is that sometimes being able to explain your purchase to a person may yield better results than simply throwing a number at a computer.

Message 7 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yeah, in your case you can just throw that whole FR thing out the window and comparing $4,000 to your income (unless it's absurdly low like you're a student and only work a minimum wage job for 3 hours on Sunday).  You're talking about possibly spending $4,000 in a month.  That does not set off huge alarms that someone is money laundering or manufacturing spending to abuse the rewards system.  The FR part would only be relevant here if you started your conversation off by saying you make $40,000 a year, and were planning to do something absurd like spend $75,000 at the grocery store each month on your Gold Card which earns 4x MRs at grocery stores.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just call them before a big spend to give them a heads up and you should be ok

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.