12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 11 of 18
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX set 3k limit on green after FR

I just received my new AMEX green 2 weeks ago. When I read this thread I wondered why I ever app'd this card. A waste of a HP? I started worrying about how I was using it. The last thing I want is IRS forms. I was even looking for a replacement card today for my new AMEX. I am rebuilding and that's why I app'd for it in the first place. My plan was to use it as a cash flow tool (5k) per month and make one payment on the day I receive my statement. Now I'm not so sure. Any advice on how to keep AMEX for many happy years to come? My credit scores are going to fluctuate as I build adding new acct's. Please I respect your advice?

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Dishpro wrote:
I just received my new AMEX green 2 weeks ago. When I read this thread I wondered why I ever app'd this card. A waste of a HP? I started worrying about how I was using it. The last thing I want is IRS forms. I was even looking for a replacement card today for my new AMEX. I am rebuilding and that's why I app'd for it in the first place. My plan was to use it as a cash flow tool (5k) per month and make one payment on the day I receive my statement. Now I'm not so sure. Any advice on how to keep AMEX for many happy years to come? My credit scores are going to fluctuate as I build adding new acct's. Please I respect your advice?

Don't outspend your reported monthly income adjusted for usual DTI calculations.

Pretty much all the recent FR's I've seen posted, were where the applicatant mis-reported their income on the Amex application, and then proceeded to spend well beyond what's reasonable for their claimed income (take your 5K / month spend on a reported income of 35K/yr... Lucy, you got some splainin' to do!)

The general trip up's on this are 1) using the card for business expenses, or 2) well, a few folks who probably need to get righteous with their tax filings before a close encounter of the worst kind (IRS audit).

The second one is a no-fly zone as far as I'm concerned; however, the first one has a simple resolution: apply for a business card instead which Amex will probably be more than happy to provide assuming qualifications are met.

In any event, for the responsible consumer, the benefits to having a relationship with Amex far outweigh the "issues" reported here; the fact is there are millions of consumers who lead normal FICO lives, whereas pretty much everyone on here does not... and as such, our incidence rate for AA of any type (FR's from Amex in this case) are much higher than typical as well.  

It's really nothing to be concerned about if you're on the up and up on your personal expenses and reported income.

        
Message 13 of 18
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@HenryJumbo wrote:

Not to sound antagonizing but why would Amex FR a user out of the blue? Are you omitting something out of the story? I doubt Amex would out of the blue say “hey let’s pick a random member who has an excellent record and FR them”. In order for Amex to use their resources I think they would first have a reason. Are you getting divorced, had previous COs, late payments, etc?

I read this a lot on the boards: 'CardXYZ lowered my limit, closed my account, etc' but I been PIF every month for the past 7 months. And then after asking them a bunch of questions, yea I missed a payment but still I been 7 months.

There's a reason why some get on the s'list of some companies.

Memeber you're a victim of identity theft.

In any case I would demand WHY before releasing any IRS information. Not even Mitt Romney is so willing to release IRS information so easy.

Talking about other bank CLD or Closing accounts or what not is VERY different from Amex and FR.  I have not really been very positive towards the FR threads in the past because they then cause these 50 other posts about "I'm Scared to use my card" "Where can my first purchase be" "I used my car 5 times today, I hope I don't get FR"

I think and hope that the one thing we can agree on is this is "Random" by Amex computers... I don't believe ANY purchase, Location, Bar, Walmart, Country travel, etc. will be the cause... I say this now 5-7 years into coming to MyFico and what accounts have been FR... Now the exception to the rule is if you got FR last year and close accounts instead of giving them the info, then come back this year and start applying and opening, they will come back and ask for FR again (Concorduser is good example... but have not seen him post in long time)

I believe even more it's random because look at something like the charge card... I have seen people that were capable of charging over $100k only to find a payment returned or a payment made 10 days after due date which Amex will tell you "You can do" as part of grace period and I do believe some can but when you are up in that kind of spending, it matters that you couldn't pay on time... I have seen a card like that then get hard limit at about $10k... Now if Amex wants to take you from $100k to $10k in 30 seconds, how and why would that account not be a better option to FR vs. an account that was just opened or an account that someone spent $500 for 2 months, then spent $5k but paid before due date... 

I doubt it's random. I just looked at gr33nsuit first post and she/he stated that "I'm still a student attending college, since most of my pay is commission: they're in cash. And I applied as a regular account.". Also "my monthly transactions usually range from 2-3 thousands".

She/he applied for a regular card, is technically a student. It's important to put that you are a student in the application because it's a major expense that goes with the profile. Also most of gr33nsuit's pay is in cash so you have to be VERY discipline when reporting your income.

To reiterate it makes no sense for Amex to randomly pick out excellent customers for FR. Usually something trips the alarm.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 14 of 18
FicoTron
Established Contributor

I use my gold card for ALL purchases and run about $1500 a month through it.  I've had it for 4 months.  I have hit tHe "check spending ability" a few times each month to see what happens...it went like this, first month $500 max, second $1000, third $2500, fourth $5000 max.  If I spent $5000 in a month it would look a bit fishy with my income, yet they would approve it.  I guess the moral is, don't lie to them, that way you can back up a FR with no prob.  And anyone worried about them being a hassle to have is crazy...way too much upside to being a member.

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 15 of 18
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

About the check spending ability, on the site you have to enter a specific amount to check for credit availablity. How do you checkbyour spending limit? I thought that wasnt preset.

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 18
gr33nsuit
Valued Member

Well maybe i was a little reckless with my card. Spent like 1.9k in the first month, I paid the bill twice though. Well guess imma be underwatchful eyes now. They do kinda take forever to process though. 

BARCLAY FICO: 782 12/12/14
DISCOVER FICO: 783 12/12/14
|Amex Blue $32,400 |Discover IT $28,000 |Usbank Cash+ $25,000 |Chase Freedom $23,700 |CSP $18,000 | Citi DoubleCash $16,500 |PenFed Cash Rewards $16,000 |SallieMae $12,500 |Citi Costco $12,000 |Citi Forward $8,000 |Quicksilver $4,200 |StateFarm CC $4,000
Start of Gardening 12/13/14
Message 17 of 18
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Dishpro wrote:
About the check spending ability, on the site you have to enter a specific amount to check for credit availablity. How do you checkbyour spending limit? I thought that wasnt preset.

Even those these charge cards are NPSL, there is a limit to which you can spend in a month.  That's what the button is there for. To see just how high you can go.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.