Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX soft pulls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX soft pulls

Does anyone know what it means when it says “the amounts of your payments in relation to the overall balance on your American Express account” means on my decline letter?

When I applied I owed 0 on my current statement on AMEX. I did though have a balance for the next month due when I applied and got declined.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone know what it means when it says “the amounts of your payments in relation to the overall balance on your American Express account” means on my decline letter?

When I applied I owed 0 on my current statement on AMEX. I did though have a balance for the next month due when I applied and got declined.

It means they don't have enough payment history to evaluate another card being added.  If you're not using it monthly and generating activity then it's hard to make a decision.  

When in doubt find a small monthly bill to put on new cards and setup autopay for the balance.  Don't play the 1% UTIL game if you don't need the extra points for a large purchase like a car/house if you want things to grow in a timely manner.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understood. Each month these past 3 months I’ve put about $4k on the card and then pay it off when due.

When I first applied I only had the gold for 28 days. I’m at 3 months now with heavy spending and paying in full.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You mentioned you have 5 cards and the oldest being 8 yo at this point.

Putting $4K/mo through the Gold should be enough to get a Platinum unless some internal policy is disabling the option due to the age of the account due to the AF change that would occur within the first year even though it sounds like you're ADDING it and not upgrading it.  

There are some behind the scenes factors playing into the denial depending on which product you currently have.  If it's a CC then it might be one thing and if it's a Charge card it might be another.  

Things change with Amex every once in awhile and what works one month doesn't the next.  There might be a policy shift where like CC's / Charge cards won't allow multiples in a certain time frame.  I have/had 3 of them the BCx (E or P depending on the bonus), Gold, and Magnet. I picked up the CM / Gold within a year of each other w/o issue but, then got the pop-up for the bonus on a new ED app I was thinking about which would be a timing issue.  

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all this info. Yes, I’m adding not replacing the Gold card AMEX.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.