cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX through AMEX vs an AMEX through a bank (BOA, USAA, Costco)

tag
Tazman81
Established Contributor

AMEX through AMEX vs an AMEX through a bank (BOA, USAA, Costco)

Okay, so I had about an $800 AMEX debt dismissed through Chapter 7 backin January 2009.  It was from an AMEX Blue Cash card.  Well, I spoke with someone in the executive center and was advised that likely AMEX would not approve me for a card again, but I can apply through another bank that offers AMEX cards and they do not look at the blacklist that AMEX has when it comes to approval.  Does anyone know if there is any type of truth to this?  Just looking at options to get an AMEX card back to drastically increase my AAoA.  Thanks!

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX through AMEX vs an AMEX through a bank (BOA, USAA, Costco)

I believe that Amex-branded cards (e.g. Macys, BofA, USAA, etc.) are Amex-branded only. There's no other affiliation with Amex. For example, if you have a CapOne Visa CO, other Visa-branded lenders won't care that you defaulted on a Visa, other than the baddie itself. You won't be blacklisted from Visa-branded cards like you won't be blacklisted from Amex-branded cards. However, adding an Amex-branded card won't help your AAoA because they won't backdate, unless you get a card directly from Amex itself.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

I believe that Amex-branded cards (e.g. Macys, BofA, USAA, etc.) are Amex-branded only. There's no other affiliation with Amex.

The only exception I know of is the Costco card, which is handled directly by Amex.

Message 3 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I believe that Amex-branded cards (e.g. Macys, BofA, USAA, etc.) are Amex-branded only. There's no other affiliation with Amex.

The only exception I know of is the Costco card, which is handled directly by Amex.

Ah...OK. Thanks for the info...I try not to visit here too often (temptation). Anyway, would a Costco Amex backdate like any normal Amex CC?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:
Ah...OK. Thanks for the info...I try not to visit here too often (temptation). Anyway, would a Costco Amex backdate like any normal Amex CC?

I have unfortunately no idea, as the Costco card is my only Amex, and it's the only Amex I'm interested in. It has the usual "Member since" entry, but obviously the rewards program is separate, so I cannot answer your question. Pehaps, someone else will know.

Message 5 of 10
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Thank you all for the info.  No need for me to try for that AMEX through another bank if I won't receive the aged account.  This forum is awesome!

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 6 of 10
stefanc
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I have unfortunately no idea, as the Costco card is my only Amex, and it's the only Amex I'm interested in. It has the usual "Member since" entry, but obviously the rewards program is separate, so I cannot answer your question. Pehaps, someone else will know.

The Costco Amex should backdate to your original member since date.

Message 7 of 10
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Is applying for any card directly from the Amex website directly handle by Amex?  What about the airline cards offered by Amex website?  Are those airline cards branded or not?

Message 8 of 10
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

I could be wrong, but I believe every card on the AMEX website is handled by them. Account management, the back dating of accounts etc. Cards that will not be handled by AMEX are the Citi AA AMEX, Dillards AMEX etc. Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If it's on the American Express website, it's theirs, and any unfortunate past history with them will make it highly unlikely that they'd approve. Doesn't matter if it's a Blue, a Green, a Starwood, a Jet Blue, CostCo, you name it. These are all issued by American Express/ Centurion Bank. Although maybe it's just called American Express these days. Seems like they did some sort of swaparoo back during the TARP days.

If a card with an American Express logo is issued by any other bank or CU (BofA, Macy's, PenFed, USAA, etc etc), it just means that it's processed through the AmEx card-processing network. For instance, you won't be able to use it at establishments that don't take AmEx, like those listed in a separate thread going now, even if they take Visas or MC's from the same bank. Your customer service comes from that issuing bank, not from American Express, and being blacklisted by AmEx itself won't prevent you from getting a BofA/ Macy's/ PenFed/USAA/ etc AmEx.

Conversely, if you burned BofA (etc) on an AmEx-logo card, you are NOT blacklisted with American Express/ Centurion Bank, even though you might well be blacklisted with BofA or whomever you burned.

eta: out-typed by getmycredit right! Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.