Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX upgrades no longer 13 months?

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

AMEX upgrades no longer 13 months?

Long story short; back in with AMEX June of last year with Green and Feb. of this year got a Blue. Offers to upgrade both cards are always there but disallowed requesting me to call to apply. Today, keeping in mind the age of both accounts, backdating nothwithstanding, I can upgrade both to the Golds or Plat or Blue Cash Preferred/Sky. No message to apply or offer not available. So, the 13 month age rule is not hard and fast as was previously believed?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX upgrades no longer 13 months?

I believe the Card Act says no new fees in the first year. So, upgrading from one no AF card to another wouldnt violate the Act; however, Gold to Plat would.

Message 2 of 6
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe the Card Act says no new fees in the first year. So, upgrading from one no AF card to another wouldnt violate the Act; however, Gold to Plat would.

I assure you, the option for the Blue to Blue Sky and Blue Cash Preferred are there as well. I haven't read through the Act in quite some time but IIRC, the new fees charged would be for the lender, not the borrower so the upgrade would be permissable whereas the issuer charging a new fee or raising the fee would not be lawful within the first year.

Message 3 of 6
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I don't know.  I went through the entire process to "upgrade" my card only to receive an error message.  Basically, I had no choice but to call and talk to them.  That's when they explained the 13-month rule to me even though on my screen it showed I could upgrade now.  This was only a couple of months ago. 

Maybe now they're changing their ways!  Smiley Wink

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I don't know.  I went through the entire process to "upgrade" my card only to receive an error message.  Basically, I had no choice but to call and talk to them.  That's when they explained the 13-month rule to me even though on my screen it showed I could upgrade now.  This was only a couple of months ago. 

Maybe now they're changing their ways!  Smiley Wink

Sounds more like the Amex system is still not taking the Card Act 13 mo rule into account when auto generating the upgrades.  Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 6
n777ua
Established Contributor

Opened our gold account last July, I've always had the "upgrade" option but it won't work.  Just tried it again after reading this thread...no dice.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.