Did you mean: 

AMEX with BK

tag
Siopao
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX with BK

@pizza1 wrote:

@Siopao wrote:

I've been seeing that members have been able to get an AMEX with a BK on their reports.  I've read that they will start accepting people with a BK7 after 5 years.  Is that 5 years after filling or discharge?

I tried to apply with AMEX and was instantly denied to my BK.  My file date is 10/31/2011 but my discharge wasn't until 2/2012.

OP....They may or may not approve you solely for your Charge off with them.  If you paid them back...it looks good, if not, they will know the second you apply. They may ask to be paid back first, but you wont know until you apply.  See my other post here in your thread.

Thank you for the advice Pizza1.  The charge off was a little over 23 years ago.  I don't even remember the amount, but I'm sure it was under 1k since I wasn't make much at that time.  I don't have a problem with paying them back if they request it.

Message 11 of 25
Siopao
Regular Contributor

@Billybob_TX wrote:

5 years after filing. Try on November 1st and I bet you get in if there are no negatives since the BK. Good luck!

Thank you Whipster.  I may try around November.  Either way I'll update this thread when the time comes.

Message 12 of 25
Siopao
Regular Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@Billybob_TX wrote:

5 years after filing. Try on November 1st and I bet you get in if there are no negatives since the BK. Good luck!

I would do 5 yrs and ONE day AFTER the DC date to be on the safe side. ......thats my opinion though.  People that have been approved most have been approved after DC date, not filing. 

How does AMEX know when my DC date is?  I looked at my full Experian and it only show the file date.

I'm just trying to figure out when to apply with them.  Thank you!

Message 13 of 25
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

5 yrs minimum if u did not burn them. There have been rare exceptions. U might get lucky.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 14 of 25
Siopao
Regular Contributor

Just wanted to update the thread.

I apped on Nov 5th and didn't get an instant decline like I normally would so that was a good sign!  I had to call and confirm my information and the rep welcomed me to American Express!  Starting credit line of $2,000.  I'm happy that I'm back in with AMEX!

My BK discharge date isn't until 2/2017.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Siopao wrote:

I apped on Nov 5th and didn't get an instant decline like I normally would so that was a good sign!  I had to call and confirm my information and the rep welcomed me to American Express!  Starting credit line of $2,000.  I'm happy that I'm back in with AMEX!

So, you are saying you were approved by Amex with an open BK? If this is the case, be careful with your Trustee. On another note, it doesn't take 5 years post BK to get back in with Amex. I was just approved for the Amex Everyday Card 4 months post BK discharge and I included them in my BK. 

Every file is different and is treated accordingly. Don't be afraid to apply for another. 

Message 17 of 25
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Siopao wrote:

So, you are saying you were approved by Amex with an open BK? If this is the case, be careful with your Trustee. On another note, it doesn't take 5 years post BK to get back in with Amex. I was just approved for the Amex Everyday Card 4 months post BK discharge and I included them in my BK. 

Every file is different and is treated accordingly. Don't be afraid to apply for another. 

OP filed a BK7 and is 5 years post file date, the BK is not open.

The reason you were approved 4 months post discharge is because you filed a BK13. AMEX requires you to be 5 years post file date. In most cases a BK13 lasts 5 years Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 18 of 25
Siopao
Regular Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Siopao wrote:

OP filed a BK7 and is 5 years post file date, the BK is not open.

The reason you were approved 4 months post discharge is because you filed a BK13. AMEX requires you to be 5 years post file date. In most cases a BK13 lasts 5 years Smiley Happy

Thanks for clearing that up Scupra, I can see how that was misunderstood though.  I should have said that my BK7 5 year anniversary isn't until 2/17 Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was dc in Sept. recvd Amex in January. They told me that I could never get an increase as long as Bk was on my report. The minute it dropped. I got the 3x increase. Sometimes there are no hard rules.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.