Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX with BK

tag
720andBeyond
Valued Member

Re: AMEX with BK

AMEX will approve post BK7 after the 5 year mark. I waited until a little over 5 years after my BK7 to apply. I was approved earlier this year for a BCP with a $27k limit(don't think I will try for 3x CLI lol) and 50k income. My credit scores range from 740's-760's with only the BK7 baddie still showing on MyFico.

I also think AMEX looks at your other cards to determine limit. They matched my Capital One QuickSilver Signature limit to the dollar. My Discover card is at $23k so that might have helped also. You might want to try to build your other cards and then apply so that you can get a better limit initially.

I actually don't think AMEX will be that hard to get for most honestly. I get offers for their Platinum card constantly now. I want the Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve, but I think with a BK7 that is now 6 years old still reporting I would be an instant decline.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Siopao wrote:

Just wanted to update the thread.

I apped on Nov 5th and didn't get an instant decline like I normally would so that was a good sign!  I had to call and confirm my information and the rep welcomed me to American Express!  Starting credit line of $2,000.  I'm happy that I'm back in with AMEX!

My BK discharge date isn't until 2/2017.

So, you are saying you were approved by Amex with an open BK? If this is the case, be careful with your Trustee. On another note, it doesn't take 5 years post BK to get back in with Amex. I was just approved for the Amex Everyday Card 4 months post BK discharge and I included them in my BK. 

Every file is different and is treated accordingly. Don't be afraid to apply for another. 

OP filed a BK7 and is 5 years post file date, the BK is not open.

The reason you were approved 4 months post discharge is because you filed a BK13. AMEX requires you to be 5 years post file date. In most cases a BK13 lasts 5 years Smiley Happy

I get it. But the OP did say a discharge date is in February of 2017, which makes it an open BK.

Message 22 of 25
ambivalent
Established Contributor

Shut the front door!  For whatever reason AMEX is my  dream card...like I'VE ARRIVED.  My bk will be 5 years old in July.  OMG.  That's a 2017 goal.  Thank you so much for your post.  Now I have to stalk the AMEX threads to see what I can do to increase my approval odds.  

Congrats on your approval!!!!!!!!

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 23 of 25
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Siopao wrote:

Just wanted to update the thread.

I apped on Nov 5th and didn't get an instant decline like I normally would so that was a good sign!  I had to call and confirm my information and the rep welcomed me to American Express!  Starting credit line of $2,000.  I'm happy that I'm back in with AMEX!

My BK discharge date isn't until 2/2017.

So, you are saying you were approved by Amex with an open BK? If this is the case, be careful with your Trustee. On another note, it doesn't take 5 years post BK to get back in with Amex. I was just approved for the Amex Everyday Card 4 months post BK discharge and I included them in my BK. 

Every file is different and is treated accordingly. Don't be afraid to apply for another. 

OP filed a BK7 and is 5 years post file date, the BK is not open.

The reason you were approved 4 months post discharge is because you filed a BK13. AMEX requires you to be 5 years post file date. In most cases a BK13 lasts 5 years Smiley Happy

I get it. But the OP did say a discharge date is in February of 2017, which makes it an open BK.

Oops! I think I only got to see 02/2012 Smiley Happy Maybe OP edited the post

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 24 of 25
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was dc in Sept. recvd Amex in January. They told me that I could never get an increase as long as Bk was on my report. The minute it dropped. I got the 3x increase. Sometimes there are no hard rules.

What rule are you referring to? Also, when you say "The minute it dropped. I got the 3x increase." do you mean when the BK dropped you got the increase?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.