Did you mean: 

AOD Visa - rumor reducing 3% cash back

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: AOD Visa - rumor reducing 3% cash back

@Aim_High wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

... I consider any and all rewards as temporary and subject to reduction. For me at least, the rewards are the icing on the cake ... 

I do not currently have any card that gives 3% cash back and likely never will. Why? I have seen no offers for such cards that offer 200 dollar SUB's ... The big money is in the SUB on a future sock drawer card.

I share the view of @sarge12 that rewards aren't the end-all and are the "icing on the cake."  But some of the reasons behind that similar philosophy have some differences.   To me, the most important priority to me is building and maintaining a great credit file to suit my needs for if and when I need to apply for more credit.  In that regard, keeping most of my cards for the long term seems to me a more prudent strategy.  While I have before and would in the future open an account for short-term goals such as a BT offer or 0% financing, my guiding principle has normally been to ask "how will this card serve me for the next ten years or longer," not for the next three to six months.  I don't want to open accounts primarily for a SUB which I just have to sock-drawer and/or later close because they never really fit my needs. 

Not there's anything wrong with a SUB-focused strategy as part of card rewards, but I'm sure this is a reason why AOD FCU didn't offer a SUB and why the 3% card may prove to be sustainable after all!   Just like @sarge12 wasn't looking for a card without a SUB, AOD FCU wasn't looking for a customer like him that would earn the SUB just to sock drawer the card.  They wanted a more long-term customer.  It was a smart move on their part, IMO.  

The flip side for anyone who isn't interested in constantly adding new cards every year to keep up the SUB income, a card like the AOD FCU Visa will continue to provide strong rewards earnings year-over-year without having to incur regular new account penalties and CRB inquiries.  While I love SUBs like anyone and will take advantage of them when appropriate, my personal opinion is that focusing more on the long-term benefits of a card versus the short-term benefits of a SUB is less hassle.   The $20K spend before out-earning a 2% card with a $200 SUB is a moot point to me. 

Your strategy is very valid, and might be more appealing to many. My situation is a bit unique in that over 80% of my spending is on goods or services that already yield at least 3% cash back. Being disabled, I use Amazon, the grocery store, and Costco on line. I have a BofA card that has online shopping as a 3% catagory. My Amex card gets 6% for groceries, and 3% for gas. Chase Amazon Prime is 5% for Amazon purchases. If I did have a 3% cash back card to use anytime another card did not yield at least 3%, My total charges on that card would be 200 bucks a month at the most. Except for the grocery store, I very rarely venture into a brick and mortar store. Now since my Mother cracked her hip the amount I spend on resteraunts has increased drastically, but that will soon change. The added 1 percent cashback on 200 bucks would be 2 bucks more than a 2% card, so it would take 100 months to get 200 more bucks more than the 2% cash back card. That is 8 years and 4 months. Others may have 40000 in charges i a year. For my charging. 

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 51 of 179
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@drlucy wrote:

I saw on Reddit someone mentioned that AOD was planning on reducing their 3% cash back benefit. I hope this isn't true as we put just about everything on this card. I was wondering if anyone here had heard anything about this.

Thanks!

I would say this is false based on my conversation with the assistant branch manager. One thing that became very clear in that Convo is that they don't really care for people just putting $25 in savings to get the card. Meaning they want a more meaningful relationship. So I wouldn't be surprised if Reps are instructed to discourage those kinds of people. I mean they can't really refuse you to apply but they can put doubts in your mind about if it is worth the effort to get this card. 

Also, look up their financial stability rating, They are at an A+. No major bank is at that rating and even my other two credit unions are just at an A rating. 

Context of course would help a lot here. If it was just a call inquiring if this card will stay at 3% long-term. Meaning that was the first question no interest in any of their services otherwise I think my assumption is dead on. 

If AOD needs to make adjustments I think it will be first in minimum amounts in savings accounts to open a membership and then the interest rate on this card. I mean they could raise it 3% and still be super competitive.

Message 52 of 179
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I just got this card in Nov '21 so you guys are making me quake in my boots that it will be altered.  

The Reddit link provided seems to have some already misconceived conceptions so I do question its accuracy.  But I do appreciate the OP bringing it up none the less. 

I have since reached out to my AOD FCU contact for more clarity.  I will report back what she says.  

-----------------------

"Hi <A>,

Happy holidays!  Happy New Year!  

I have been loving this card.  Thank you so much for all your help in applying / approval.  

There have been some rumors on the myFICO forum that this card will be altered from its current 3% cash back on everything to something lesser.  Do you have any input on that, by chance?

Thanks, <ptatohed>

This is why we cannot have good things 

Sometimes it is best just to leave Schroedingers Cat in the box, to not open the box, or in this case hit the box with a stick Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 53 of 179
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

Well, the bigger problem I see here is this....

Someone starts a wild rumor that this "may" happen.  Sure, at any time any card is subject to changes from any lender. But now, rather than everyone chilling out and quietly using their AOD 3% card while holding their breath in hopes that no dust gets stirred......everyone and their uncle's uncle is now calling AOD, freaking out and raising attention to something that may have never been true and actual.  But due to the high call volume and constant questions pouring in, (along with references to this forum, which is never good).....this is going to have AOD board members talking about the issue and investigating why there is so much attention on a non-issue.....which then makes it a true issue.

Calm down people. If they nerf it, they nerf it. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, your phone calls of objection aren't going to change it, and right now you are making the issue worse by raising all this attention. All you can do is prepare for the worst......have a 2% card as a backup or in your plans for application.

+ 1

I often wondered if this was what happened with Amex backdating now almost 7 years ago. People calling in 2014 to have their new account backdated to 1990 when they either charged off a balance or closed the account Man Frustrated

But back to the subject. I want to thank OP for the post; it has been very entertaining! 

Anything can happen with rewards; ask original GM Card holders or Citi Dividend account holders about that. Freedom used to work the way Custom Cash works now etc etc. I hold a USAA Limitless Cash Rewards 2.5% Visa; while they did end new applications, we (knock wood) still have our cards.  Point being; if AOD does end the 3% cash back, I would almost bet that those of you who got one will be grandfathered and new cardholders will get a lower earning. 

In the meantime, no sense in worrying about it; carry on and continue using your cards. 

Message 54 of 179
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Amex stopped backdating accounts for a couple of reasons, pressure from CRAs being the main one since every new account was reporting inaccurate data.  

Amex's argument was that (paraphrasing here) consumer is "the account" with multiple products (cards) hence same opening date. CRAs didn't want to play that game any longer due to the regulations regarding accuracy of credit reports. 

This was a joint effort between the big three, and they didn't stop backdating at exactly same time. TU put their foot down first, followed by EQ. EX was last to comply.

For some during the transition week, backdated accounts showed up with "real" date, but that stopped quickly, so they probably reached some sort of agreement to use correct data going forward. 

Message 55 of 179
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BearsCubsOtters wrote:

Point being; if AOD does end the 3% cash back, I would almost bet that those of you who got one will be grandfathered and new cardholders will get a lower earning. 

Well, an almost bet is good enough I guess!   Certainly one possible outcome, but in a similar situation, USAlliance will reduce from 3 to 2% for all cardholders, old or new, and Tropical already went from 3% to 1% for all.

No idea of the rough percentages, but most/all of the nerfs I have been involved with have eventually impacted existing cardholders as well.  I assume it depends on the scope of the problem: if existing cardholders are already causing enough loss, you need to reduce the bleeding.

Message 56 of 179
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

+ 1

I often wondered if this was what happened with Amex backdating now almost 7 years ago. People calling in 2014 to have their new account backdated to 1990 when they either charged off a balance or closed the account Man Frustrated

But back to the subject. I want to thank OP for the post; it has been very entertaining! 

Anything can happen with rewards; ask original GM Card holders or Citi Dividend account holders about that. Freedom used to work the way Custom Cash works now etc etc. I hold a USAA Limitless Cash Rewards 2.5% Visa; while they did end new applications, we (knock wood) still have our cards.  Point being; if AOD does end the 3% cash back, I would almost bet that those of you who got one will be grandfathered and new cardholders will get a lower earning. 

In the meantime, no sense in worrying about it; carry on and continue using your cards. 

Exactly, why worry about rumors? Always people out there, sometimes out of jealousy, who want to stir the pot.  If AOD announces anything then we can discuss it. I have great confidence that AOD is just fine as I stated before, they are as healthy as a financial institution can be. In the top 100 credit unions in the country as far as that goes. 

Message 57 of 179
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

While I have before and would in the future open an account for short-term goals such as a BT offer or 0% financing, my guiding principle has normally been to ask "how will this card serve me for the next ten years or longer," not for the next three to six months.  I don't want to open accounts primarily for a SUB which I just have to sock-drawer and/or later close because they never really fit my needs.   

But cards change too frequently to make projections that far out. If Prestige was the same card it was even five years ago (price rewinds, Admirals access, easy 1.6 AA redemptions), I'd be a total Citi/TY/AA fanatic.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 58 of 179
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:  ... my guiding principle has normally been to ask "how will this card serve me for the next ten years or longer," not for the next three to six months ...   

But cards change too frequently to make projections that far out. If Prestige was the same card it was even five years ago (price rewinds, Admirals access, easy 1.6 AA redemptions), I'd be a total Citi/TY/AA fanatic.

It's true that cards change frequently, @wasCB14.  Honestly, although I've had credit cards since the early 1980's, I don't think I was ever as aware as I am now about the accuracy of that statement!  Of course, for about half of my credit years, there has been little if any information easily available on the internet and there weren't online communities like My Fico to exchange industry trends.   It's been an eye-opener.

My perception of the industry is that the "rewards" aspects of credit cards has heated up in the last ten to fifteen years, both in cash back rewards as well as travel points systems.  The competition has caused many lenders to constantly reinvent their card programs.   I think this is much more true for the premium travel cards like the Prestige card you mentioned.  When someone applies for a high-AF card with the understanding that there will be reciprocity from the lender with credits and/or benefits and then those benefits or credits change, I can see why it might dictate the need to question card (or even lender) loyalty.   This is why I will continue to be very selective about adding any additional premium cards to my wallet.  They are not only expensive and may not be worth the cost, depending on consumer lifestyle and their usage, but they also appear much more volatile.  IMO, mid-range and lower cards tend to be more stable, even if they aren't as lucrative, exciting, or exclusive.  Examples:  the Discover IT, the Citi Double Cash, the Chase Freedom Unlimited; the Capital One Quicksilver; and yes, even the AOD FCU Visa.   As opposed to your example of the Prestige, several of these cards have actually enhanced their value over time, such as the Freedom Unlimited gaining 5% back on Chase travel and 3% on dining out and in drugstores.

When I joined My Fico a few years ago to learn more about current trends in credit cards, I knew I wanted to refresh my rewards earnings and I've done that.  But to me, that doesn't mean always chasing after the next big thing.   As I mentioned in some of the other parts of that message you didn't quote, the rewards are just one aspect of my cards.  While some of our members would dump a card over some nerfing of rewards value (or perk), I would tend to stay the course.  It's just not worth constantly remaking my profile to try to keep the single best card(s) because it's always a moving target.   Just because card programs change around us doesn't mean we have to change our cards.  Sometimes, it's best to keep them while we evaluate options.

I've said this many times on the forum, but four of my cards are over 20 years old.  Have they always been leading edge in rewards value?  No.  Three of them started out as basic VISA cards that offered no rewards at all, but twenty years ago, that was a lot more common and if you got 1% cash back, that was the exception.  When I had my first American Express card in the 1980's, AMEX didn't even give out MRs yet.  However, over the years, I stayed the course and I product-changed all four of them at least once into better cards as banks updated their programs.  I didn't get them for a SUB, and SUBs weren't even so common back then.  And by keeping them instead of dumping them immediately as I added better cards, I was able to retain the account age and lender relationships.  Now, I see those cards as "anchors" in my account age.  As I have added about a dozen new cards in the past four years, those old accounts have made my new accounts cause less impact to my average age of accounts.   Those cards are my Discover IT, my AFBA/UMB Simply Rewards, my Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards, and my Chase Freedom Unlimited.  They're quite valuable to me, not only in terms of age but now rewards as well.  That AFBA/UMB card that paid no rewards now can pay 3% cash back (uncapped) on restaurants, gas, groceries (including Discount Stores like Walmart and Target) with no AF.  That Bank of America card that paid no rewards now can earn 5.25% on up to $10K annual spend in grocery stores/warehouse clubs and/or my selected monthly category.  And that Chase Freedom Unlimited, when combined with my Sapphire Reserve, earns 2.25% in the travel portal or potentially 3% if UR points earned on it are transferred to travel partners.  And my Discover card, which back in 1993 didn't quite even earn 1% true cash back due to the original cash back program on the card, now earns up to 5% in selected quarterly categories. 

I'll admit: I have opened some cards for short-term gain, such as when I was rolling around some larger card balances during a financial struggle and using special BT offers.  Or when I have purchased furniture or appliances and wanted to take advantage of special financing offers.  Other than these types of offers, I've never opened a card exclusively for a SUB with no intention of using it past the first few months.  And when I have a card that appears to no longer serve my originally-intended purpose, I keep it for for awhile and try to find a use for it, whether by product change or if nothing else to combine the limit into another card with that lender. 

I guess the difference is in the level of commitment I have when applying.  I look beyond the SUB and I'm willing to stick it out with a card even if it changes, such as when I committed to the Sapphire Reserve and then Chase increased the annual fee, changed the benefits and credits, and the COVID-19 pandemic began.  That doesn't mean I'll guarantee I'll never close any card, but it's not done casually. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 59 of 179
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

I've said this many times on the forum, but four of my cards are over 20 years old.  Have they always been leading edge in rewards value?  No.  Three of them started out as basic VISA cards that offered no rewards at all, but twenty years ago, that was a lot more common and if you got 1% cash back, that was the exception.  When I had my first American Express card in the 1980's, AMEX didn't even give out MRs yet.  However, over the years, I stayed the course and I product-changed all four of them at least once into better cards as banks updated their programs.  I didn't get them for a SUB, and SUBs weren't even so common back then.  And by keeping them instead of dumping them immediately as I added better cards, I was able to retain the account age and lender relationships.  Now, I see those cards as "anchors" in my account age.  As I have added about a dozen new cards in the past four years, those old accounts have made my new accounts cause less impact to my average age of accounts.  

I think that's a very reasonable approach, but as always have to consider what was given up.   Assuming that there were SUBS around, you could perhaps have got several subs (and used the money to invest in Amazon, Apple and Uber and....!!!!)   and then compare that actual value with whatever you perceive the value of the age and relationship to be.

Now it's somewhat easier for me because of the former magic of Amex backdating I have three cards with 1987  dates, so I am not always so concerned with AAoA.

Message 60 of 179
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.