Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Universal Visa soon to be Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AT&T Universal Visa soon to be Mastercard

Out front, I've had this card for 25 years, and it hasn't been much value since the categories just about stopped rotating.  Only really keeping it for the multi-decade history.

Got a letter today from Citi stating that my next card will be a Mastercard.  I'll be getting a new account number, expiration date and security code (duh on the last two).

The Q&A on the back of the letter is interesting.  Citi's marketing group needs an overhaul.  Check this:

1.  Why are you replacing my card?  Your Citi Visa card is being re-issued as a Citi Mastercard as part of a larger effort to offer a more consistent experience across many of our products and to look for new ways to enhance your experience in the future.

4. Will my card contain an EMV chip?  Yes.  ... enahnced security when used at chip enabled terminals and increased ease of use in other countries.  To learn more, visit citi.com/chiptechnology (404 not found!)

The only real future I see is that I'll likely cancel this card once I get to a ThankYou Point milestone and snag a gift card, unless someone tells me keeping this multi-decade old account has any value.  Already have high credit scores.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AT&T Universal Visa soon to be Mastercard

What is the earn rate for TY points?

Since it is AT&T branded, does it offer any ATT perks?

Kind of strange to move it to MC since they have the Costco VISA but maybe Citi is not enjoying the VISA arrangement.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My card is very old, and not equivalent to the one currently on the Citi card site.  I doubt you can get this type of card, or even product change into it.  It was first offered in the early 1990's.

It earns just 1 ThankYou point per dollar spent.  Occasionally a 5x deal, currently dining and ending July 31 and only for spend of $500.  But I haven't seen a 5x deal in over a year, and only one quarter each of the last 3 years.

In the ThankYou portal, it appears to be a 50% haircut if one uses TY Points for cash, a 20% haircut if you get a recent purchase refunded, or 0% haircut on a gift card.  Merchandise not explored.

I don't think I even get 2 ThankYou points on AT&T purchases - Haven't tried, since I haven't had services from them in over a decade.  The card might have or did have 30 mins free long distance calling, which worked out great in college early 1990's to dial a 1-800 number and get around university billing costs (high!).  And 2 free directory assistance calls.  Unused features mostly.

Message 3 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's kind of interesting these old legacy CCs still around, albeit soon to be converted.  Mine was issued as MC (not Visa) back in 1994 (Universal Bank) before Citi gobbled them up.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, originally I recall AT&T offered both Visa and Mastercards, and the Mastercard hologram was sort of unique for that time.

I had both cards, so I could get an hour of calls per month back in the day.  I probably cancelled the then Mastercard for the Dividend card, which I still have as well.

Apparently I own relics.

Message 5 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

On another thread a couple weeks ago, someone got irritated with a CSR and said they “slammed their phone down”, presumably to hang up?

I’m thinking, “how do you slam a cellphone down?”

#RotaryPhone

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Uhm, having a multi decade credit card , no af, is the valueSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wondering who my AT &T Cards were issued by? Obtained Visa and a MasterCard AT & T Cards with $26,500 CL on one and $28,000 CL on the other. Do not remember why I even closed them with the large CLs which for the time, were huge! Both were way back in time ... interesting that Citi wants to increase their usefulness?! Legacy for sure. Back in the time, my memory said they were useful as I had no AT & T products or telephone service?

Message 8 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Citi still issues an AT&T card with 2x online shopping and 2x AT&T purchases, paid in Thankyou points. Obviously not very useful because you can get 2% on everything with a Double Cash.

As far as the OP, why not just convert the card to something better? You'll maintain the credit history.

Message 9 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

On another thread a couple weeks ago, someone got irritated with a CSR and said they “slammed their phone down”, presumably to hang up?

I’m thinking, “how do you slam a cellphone down?”

#RotaryPhone

I'm sure that somewhere there is an app where when you gently put the cell phone face down, it emits a load sound and drops the call

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.