Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Universal Visa soon to be Mastercard

tag
Trikoret
Contributor

Re: AT&T Universal Visa soon to be Mastercard

My Citi double cash card was converted from att universal card. I've had this account since 94.
Message 11 of 16
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I am fairly certain that Citi is a MasterCard issuer primarily. Now they do have the rare Visa like the Costco Visa but that is because the co-brand had a special requirement for it, they have the compatible infrastructure for both, and they are the largest issuer of cards worldwide. Being able to push around the networks even in cases where there are only a few cards means that Citi can do almost anything they want. In fact they were the first ones to tell MasterCard that their World and World Elite branding was not going to have the minimum limits honored and that if they did not like it they should take a hike. My guess is that they no longer like to have old Visa cards dangling and sucking out profit without a contract since AT&T does not want to deal with propping up two networks. Citi is basicly playing in a world that they make themselves and everyone else is just in it for the ride.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 12 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@zerofire wrote:

I am fairly certain that Citi is a MasterCard issuer primarily. Now they do have the rare Visa like the Costco Visa but that is because the co-brand had a special requirement for it, they have the compatible infrastructure for both, and they are the largest issuer of cards worldwide. Being able to push around the networks even in cases where there are only a few cards means that Citi can do almost anything they want. In fact they were the first ones to tell MasterCard that their World and World Elite branding was not going to have the minimum limits honored and that if they did not like it they should take a hike. My guess is that they no longer like to have old Visa cards dangling and sucking out profit without a contract since AT&T does not want to deal with propping up two networks. Citi is basicly playing in a world that they make themselves and everyone else is just in it for the ride.

Actually, they have the infrastructure to support any network.  In other regions of the world, they issue dual, co-branded network CCs, whether it's AmEx/MC or AmEx/Visa.  That said they still have older legacy products on the Visa network, besides the AT&T Universal Card as well as AmEx branded products and some Visa cards have been slowly phased out.   The AmEx CCs still live on for the time being so there's that.   And, while their primary contractual agreement is currently with MasterCard, they've also been known to flip flop networks over the years.  Nothing new for Citi. 

Message 13 of 16
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Out front, I've had this card for 25 years, and it hasn't been much value since the categories just about stopped rotating.  Only really keeping it for the multi-decade history.

Got a letter today from Citi stating that my next card will be a Mastercard.  I'll be getting a new account number, expiration date and security code (duh on the last two).

The Q&A on the back of the letter is interesting.  Citi's marketing group needs an overhaul.  Check this:

1.  Why are you replacing my card?  Your Citi Visa card is being re-issued as a Citi Mastercard as part of a larger effort to offer a more consistent experience across many of our products and to look for new ways to enhance your experience in the future.

4. Will my card contain an EMV chip?  Yes.  ... enahnced security when used at chip enabled terminals and increased ease of use in other countries.  To learn more, visit citi.com/chiptechnology (404 not found!)

The only real future I see is that I'll likely cancel this card once I get to a ThankYou Point milestone and snag a gift card, unless someone tells me keeping this multi-decade old account has any value.  Already have high credit scores.

I PCd my At&T Universal to Double Cash four years ago. DC is the daily driver now. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Logged in for my Visa statement over the weekend, and they were mid process of cutting my account to a Mastercard.  Sunday got emails introducing me to ThankYou with my new account.  (HA!)  Got the card Monday.

Not even a NFC chip!  Just the 15 year old visible chip.  They didn't continue to put "Charter Member" on the new card like my old card.  Appears to have kept my account open date.

I need to product change this once Citi's next normal card comes out.  It's a relic with my relic Dividend and DoubleCash cards.

My Visa expires 10/31/19.  Wonder if I can take it that long to spite them.  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my AT&T Universal Mastercard last week.  Yay, a chip in it!  (Previous AT&T Universal Visa did not, my only non chip card).

I can't believe it still has raised numbers.  Anyone seen a credit card carbon imprint machine being used in the last 10 years?

I need to PC this, if only for the 25+ year history.  Likely my only option is the Rewards+ card, which isn't very enticing.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.