Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU Macy Card Help Score Trouble

tag
millenion
Established Member

AU Macy Card Help Score Trouble

Yesterday, my sister and I went to Macy's to buy some house goods. The lady at the counter recommended that my sister add me to her Macy's account as an authorized user to get 20% off our purchase. When she asked for my info she wanted my license and full ssn. Should I be worried it might ding my score? I'm currently gardening until Jan. My sister is one of those dumb people who never pay off their credit balances. Will me being an AU on her account impact my CR or score? If so I plan on removing my self immediately whenever that card comes. Please let me know what you would all recommend doing

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: AU Macy Card Help Score Trouble

@millenion wrote:

Yesterday, my sister and I went to Macy's to buy some house goods. The lady at the counter recommended that my sister add me to her Macy's account as an authorized user to get 20% off our purchase. When she asked for my info she wanted my license and full ssn. Should I be worried it might ding my score? I'm currently gardening until Jan. My sister is one of those dumb people who never pay off their credit balances. Will me being an AU on her account impact my CR or score? If so I plan on removing my self immediately whenever that card comes. Please let me know what you would all recommend doing

I honestly have never heard of getting a 20% for being added as an AU in the store...they would rather you open your own account, since stores are very hellbent on getting credit card apps (i work retail, so i know -_-) besides, typically AUs are added by calling the CC company, but maybe Macy's has an interface where they can access and edit this info?

you sure the woman didn't open you up your own account and cause a hard pull? if you were actually added as an AU and got 20%, then that's a sweet deal Smiley Tongue

you can actually dispute such affiliation on your credit reports if you really don't trust your sister, yet still stay as an AU on the card...if you reference the credit card act, AU's are technically not suppose to be reported anymore because they are not responsible for payments (and due to past abuses of the AU reporting).

Message 2 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Agree with daybreakgonesXe . Sounds like you apped for a cc without even knowing! Once you are on your sister's acct, her util will affect your CS. The new acct will temp affect your CS too.

Either way, if you were simply added as an AU, the new TL kicked you out of the garden. Sorry.
Message 3 of 14
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I work at a big retail store similar to Macy's, not going to say which one, but  we sell credit there, for us, we cant add an AU. To be an AU you would have to call the number on the back of the card, that clerk technically did something illegal by lying like that and you probably just applied for a card. Also being an AU doesnt affect your score nor are you liable for the amount of the money owed. A JO does affect your score though and you would be liable to repay that back then. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 4 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Skye12329

Being an AU DOES affect your CS if the util is high and/or pyts are missed. Not to mention, the loss to OPs AAOA a new TL brings. It can help too, low util, with a long history
Message 5 of 14
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Lexie, thanks for clearing that up, i read online at a different credit website of people saying it doesnt. Its the website where people have the AMEX card as avatars and member ratings.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 14
millenion
Established Member

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@millenion wrote:

I honestly have never heard of getting a 20% for being added as an AU in the store...they would rather you open your own account, since stores are very hellbent on getting credit card apps (i work retail, so i know -_-) besides, typically AUs are added by calling the CC company, but maybe Macy's has an interface where they can access and edit this info?

you sure the woman didn't open you up your own account and cause a hard pull? if you were actually added as an AU and got 20%, then that's a sweet deal Smiley Tongue

you can actually dispute such affiliation on your credit reports if you really don't trust your sister, yet still stay as an AU on the card...if you reference the credit card act, AU's are technically not suppose to be reported anymore because they are not responsible for payments (and due to past abuses of the AU reporting).

They only asked my sister for her income and all that not mines. So I'm baffled as well lol I'm praying it is not a hard pull since I'm gardening

Message 8 of 14
millenion
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:
Agree with daybreakgonesXe . Sounds like you apped for a cc without even knowing! Once you are on your sister's acct, her util will affect your CS. The new acct will temp affect your CS too.

Either way, if you were simply added as an AU, the new TL kicked you out of the garden. Sorry.

I think I might have, because she asked for the full social. But the lady did not ask for my income only my sisters. Is there away to check to see if there were any sp or hps at all?

Message 9 of 14
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@millenion wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

I think I might have, because she asked for the full social. But the lady did not ask for my income only my sisters. Is there away to check to see if there were any sp or hps at all?

Trust me...as long as she had your name, address, birthday, and social (which she did from your ID and you inputting your social), income isn't something that's verified, especially at the store, and anybody can put in a number. That's not something that's linked to your file and simply used as a basis for the credit limit/repayment ability, if need be.

I forgot who Macys pulls, but if you haven't already, pull your 3 free credit reports at annualcreditreport.com

Question - when you went to pay for the stuff, did she use the temporary slip that printed out or your sister's actual card? That may give us a clue to what happened. Also feel free to call the Macy's CC number to double check on what happened!!

Also, my store had a meeting today about credit card applications...apparently, there's been an issue with handing the T&C to the customer. Every time we do an app, we scan a barcode in the T&C, and are suppose to hand it to the customer, whether they're approved or not. Unfortunately, people have been using one T&C barcade throughout the whole day they do apps, and this causes a legal issue because it gives the impression that we never informed the customer about vital information about the CC they just applied for (we even have a button the customer presses before going about the application process to confirm the customer was given the T&C and that they accept it).

Did this particular associate give you a CC packet? If not, you may be able to dispute this if this card indeed is not an AU account. If she did...well...enjoy your Macy's card Smiley Tongue what a sneaky tactic though, definitely not kosher.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.