Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU account hurting me?

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

AU account hurting me?

Hey guys, question here.

I USED to be an AU on my mom's Chase-BP card; I was taken off months ago and my card deactivated. Well, I got a credit alert via Citi Identity Monitor saying that the Chase account is reporting as 30 days late...now, is this going to hurt MY credit score? I thought that since I was taken off of the account, it wouldn't continue to update the account status on my CR since I literally have no access to the account. 

I was thinking of calling and asking Chase if they can delete the entire TL from my CR. It would really hurt my AAoA since this account was opened before I was born, but it's worth it if this 30 day late is going to kill my credit. I was going to tell them that my parents put me on there, I've been taken off months ago and have no access to the account, so I don't think they should be reporting negative information to my CR since I have nothing to do with that account. No card, no payment obligations, etc. 

Anyone have any advice on how I should proceed? 

I have the free Walmart TU FICO and I'm going to see in a few weeks if my score takes a nose dive. I'm going to be really upset if my mom's irresponsibility tanks my credit, especially since I never asked to be put on this account in the first place. Smiley Mad

Photobucket
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Re: AU account hurting me?

It should have been removed as soon as you were taken off as an au. Those accounts do not typically stay on a report like it was closed. So i would call chase first and ask them to have it removed, and if that doesnt work then dispute it with the cra. Yes as long as it shows you are being hurt and those kinds of things can have lasting repercussions if another creditor sees the late.
Message 2 of 11
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Yeah I'm definitely going to call them on Tuesday. 

Should I just call the Chase backdoor number or try and find a number for their BP card? I can't even call the number on the back of the card because I don't even have a card! lol 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 11
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

well if you have a record of when you were taken off and the card was reported late AFTER you were take off then i see no problem with getting it removed. if chase doesnt want to co operate then the next step would be dispute it along with records on when you were removed and when the late occured.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

FICO scores AU accounts just like they are your own accounts, so yes the 30 day late will drop your scores.

A lot of times creditors will leave AU accounts on your reports even after you are removed, sometimes people have to dispute with the CRAs as not mine to get the account removed.

Since this is your oldest account, and is helping your AAoA, another idea would be to ask your mom to call Chase and ask them to GW the 30 day late payment.   Maybe if it is her only late they'll give her a one~time GW adjustement.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 11
ajh5408
Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

FICO scores AU accounts just like they are your own accounts, so yes the 30 day late will drop your scores.

A lot of times creditors will leave AU accounts on your reports even after you are removed, sometimes people have to dispute with the CRAs as not mine to get the account removed.

Since this is your oldest account, and is helping your AAoA, another idea would be to ask your mom to call Chase and ask them to GW the 30 day late payment.   Maybe if it is her only late they'll give her a one~time GW adjustement.

I think this is your best answer. The easy way to get it removed in its entirety is to simply dispute with the CRAs, but the best long-term solution is to get the 30-day late removed and retain the TL... It would be good for your mom's score too, so, you know, bonus!

Message 6 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

That's a really good idea. While the 30-day late is going to hurt you, losing the aging will drop your score a lot more. If she has had a good record w/them, they may be willing to waive it as a gesture.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 11
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Well I called Chase's executive offices (from the number on here) and the woman I spoke with was very pleasant. She told me that I was actually still listed as an AU on the account, but my card was just deactivated. She said she could take me off and remove all records from my CR since I'm not a liable party. I accepted, and she took my phone number and said she would personally call back when it's all done and send me a letter in the mail confirming everything. 

I'm pleased. My parents have had several other lates on this account, but they were long ago. I didn't want to go through trying to get the late waived, then have to sit back and wait for the next time it happens (my parents aren't the most financially responsible people). I'd rather have it gone completely and have only MY credit history on there...the age may hurt me, but that's something beyond my control -it's not my fault I'm young. The lates, on the other hand, make me look bad even though they're not technically mine.

I was preparing for a huge fiasco but was pleasantly surprised. 

I'm not planning on making any big purchases (house, car, etc.) as I'm still in college, so I'll have plenty of time to build up a solid history with the cards I have. Smiley Happy

Photobucket
Message 8 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Well I called Chase's executive offices (from the number on here) and the woman I spoke with was very pleasant. She told me that I was actually still listed as an AU on the account, but my card was just deactivated. She said she could take me off and remove all records from my CR since I'm not a liable party. I accepted, and she took my phone number and said she would personally call back when it's all done and send me a letter in the mail confirming everything. 

I'm pleased. My parents have had several other lates on this account, but they were long ago. I didn't want to go through trying to get the late waived, then have to sit back and wait for the next time it happens (my parents aren't the most financially responsible people). I'd rather have it gone completely and have only MY credit history on there...the age may hurt me, but that's something beyond my control -it's not my fault I'm young. The lates, on the other hand, make me look bad even though they're not technically mine.

I was preparing for a huge fiasco but was pleasantly surprised. 

I'm not planning on making any big purchases (house, car, etc.) as I'm still in college, so I'll have plenty of time to build up a solid history with the cards I have. Smiley Happy

I think this is the much better approach.  You can always have yourself added back later if they ever get around to fixing the late via GW.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 11
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I think you made a good move getting the AU account off. It might hurt a bit in short term, but it is good to have full control of your credit report.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.