Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU as history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AU as history?

Son turns 18 in Feb. and I want to make sure his credit is pristine. Currently he is AU on 4 cards, 9/2015 citi secured $500, 11/2015 Kohls $300, 12/2015 Barclay Rewards $500, 12/2015 Apple Rewards $1500. Which cards would likely approve him with a file that thin? Does Amex and Discover even count AU as history? Any help is appreciated!!

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AU as history?

anyone?

Message 2 of 52
newhis
Valued Contributor

There are posts from people that got Discover and Amex with only AUs. I think I read a couple of people that even got Chase Freedom, but Chase is usually a denial without own cards.

I think I read that at 18 there are no prequals and can't put household income on apps. I'll have a 18 year old next year also, so I'm just starting to lear about that.

Message 3 of 52
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@newhis wrote:

I think I read that at 18 there are no prequals and can't put household income on apps.

Is this it? "The new rules allow an applicant who is at least 21 to report the income of his spouse or partner when applying for a credit card."

Message 4 of 52
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Son turns 18 in Feb. and I want to make sure his credit is pristine.

That may happen once he is in the one in charge of his finances.

Message 5 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does Amex and Discover even count AU as history? 

Definitely yes for AmEx. My wife was an AU on all my cards. Recently she was pre-qualified and approved for two AmEx cards.

Message 6 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Son turns 18 in Feb. and I want to make sure his credit is pristine.

That may happen once he is in the one in charge of his finances.

Well he is the only one who uses the Citi secured card and he pays it in full each month

Message 7 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mamontov wrote:

dabels731 wrote:

Does Amex and Discover even count AU as history? 

Definitely yes for AmEx. My wife was an AU on all my cards. Recently she was pre-qualified and approved for two AmEx cards.

Thank you! I know he wants to apply for Amex gold

Message 8 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I just turned 18 this past July. Been au for 3 cards.
Got approved for Amex te $5.5k and discover $500 right after I turned 18. Hope this helps.
Message 9 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Btw all the creditors will overlook the fact that your son has AU history. They only care about his individual history in the application process. I know this from personal experience as the creditors in my sig have cited me for having limited experience on my own. Therefore AU isn't really counted when applications are put under review, but they definitely contribute to his credit score.
Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.