Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU on Amex TU

tag
aftermath
Established Contributor

AU on Amex TU

If I want to issue an AU on my Amex TU, does the AU need to be a member of Costco?

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: AU on Amex TU

anyone? Smiley Sad

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 6
jason10
New Contributor

Yes, additional cardmembers must be Costco members. In fact, you'll be asked for the additional users membership # and the card will not be approved or sent until Costco verifies that the applicant is an active member.

I have been trying to add my gf to my Costco TE card for nearly 2 months for this very reason. When I got the card, I was a secondary member on my father's executive business account. After getting my own membership and adding my gf to the account, I requested an additional card for her, and the request was denied because her account was not linked to my father's account.  I needed to change the Costco account associated with my TE card before I could add her as an additional user.

Message 3 of 6
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Did any credit pull happen?

Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Whatever you do, if you request an AU card for the Costco card, do so in the store. Otherwise, you'll have to wait a couple of weeks if you apply online, just as with the primary card.

No hard inq that I'm aware of, but I believe that they do soft the AU applicant, because AmEx holds AU's responsible for purchases made on their card.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
hemi961
Regular Contributor

If I understand the terms of the card correctly (which I may not), they not only have to be a member but have to be on your original Costco membership. Since I just have the personal membership with Costco (that only allows one additional card) I couldn't get an AU card for my daughter since she had her own Costco membership.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.