Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU on Amex with bk

tag
Jccflat
Established Contributor

AU on Amex with bk

My husband has a 3 year old Chapter 7bk on file and was added to a Amex card witch Over 60 days ago and it showed up on my credit report also
Does this mean he managed to get in?
Or they can close the Acct still
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AU on Amex with bk

If AMEX wasn't part of the BK he should be fine regardless since as the primary you taking full financial responsibility. If AMEX was included in his BK and the 60 day period has already passed when you provided his social security number then he should be in the clear; I would recommend he has a backup card just to be safe.

Message 2 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Like stated above, if his ssn was provided and the card wasn't closed, he can be an AU. But, he still can't apply for his own card until 5 years and 1 month have elapsed.

Message 3 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

To echo what has been mentioned.  I was an AU on my wife's Amex card for years before I was able to get my own due to BK13.  And I currently have several Amex cards and my BK is still alive and well on my reports for just a few more months (thank goodness!)  But the 5 year and 1 month is spot on as there was no getting a card on my own not even a day prior.  

Message 4 of 11
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

I included Amex in my BK7 back on 12/2016. I owed them 2,500. I was gonna pay them back, but there is no point until my BK7 is 5 years and 1 month old. I’ll pay off my balance a 6 months before that date and reapply. Otherwise I would remain on their blacklist for up to 10 years or longer.

At least Amex will give you a chance with a bankruptcy on your credit report. Chase won’t even look at you until your bankruptcy falls off your credit report even if you didn’t include them in your bankruptcy.

Message 5 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@soxfaininfl wrote:
I included Amex in my BK7 back on 12/2016. I owed them 2,500. I was gonna pay them back, but there is no point until my BK7 is 5 years and 1 month old. I’ll pay off my balance a 6 months before that date and reapply. Otherwise I would remain on their blacklist for up to 10 years or longer.

At least Amex will give you a chance with a bankruptcy on your credit report. Chase won’t even look at you until your bankruptcy falls off your credit report even if you didn’t include them in your bankruptcy.

You are absolutely spot on with Chase.  But there was a time not so very long ago when Chase would interrogate you to no end if you had a BK on your report but if you passed their scutiny that was probably worse than that of Homeland Security, they'd toss you a bone and let you in even if your burned them.  Those days have since come and gone.  In my situation I never actually burned Chase per se but more so of them buying out an old account that was Providian turn WaMu turn Chase. 

Message 6 of 11
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
You are absolutely spot on with Chase.  But there was a time not so very long ago when Chase would interrogate you to no end if you had a BK on your report but if you passed their scutiny that was probably worse than that of Homeland Security, they'd toss you a bone and let you in even if your burned them.  Those days have since come and gone.  In my situation I never actually burned Chase per se but more so of them buying out an old account that was Providian turn WaMu turn Chase. 

Yes, you are correct from what I read on this board and from other sources. They have great products, but I've done my homework. Amex is just as good or better with certain credit cards. I acctually have a Chase checking and savings account, and they are much better banking experience than Bank of America (had them for 5 years). I am also an authorized users on two Chase credit card accounts that have 20K or more limits. I also have a friend that is a Chase banker, but I won't apply with Chase until my BK's fall of my CR's. If their policies change on people that have BK's in the future then maybe I will give it a try. Otherise Amex is my first priority to get back with.

Message 7 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@soxfaininfl You are right for the most part.  If one has Amex, Citi, or Chase most can be had with either of them.  Sure, some may require more work than the other.  Chase has Hyatt and Amex has Hilton and Marriott.  Citi is without a hotel partner but they are have access to OneWorld, SkyTeam, and Star Alliance partners.  One may take a little more effort that the other but for the most part, with a little work, most can be achieved no matter which you choose. 

Message 8 of 11
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

Great post Loquat!

Message 9 of 11
Jccflat
Established Contributor

I wonder is there Actually a method or something to check if u are blacklisted with Amex ?

So if they where included with a small balnce it will be 5 years ? U can get in back or it’s longer
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.