Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AU without access

+1000 ^^

Message 11 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Wow, kinda sad that there's so little trust there. Smiley Sad (And perhaps deservedly so; I'm not trying to bash you or her; I'm just sad to read this.) Anyway, if you're going to try to help her this way, good for you.

Tell her that she doesn't get to use the account, and have her acknowledge this.

Check your CC account daily.

If you find that she uses it without your knowledge and permission, even once, cancel it then and there.

And then I'd say you'll have to cut her loose, at least in the credit-building area. (I'm not saying divorce her! --just let her rebuild her credit herself.) Spouses/ partners need to be able to trust one another. We've all screwed up on something in the past and are deserving of forgiveness by the other, but if we abuse the other's trust, it's a relationship-killer IMO.

Hope it works out for both of you!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 20
bcdudley
Regular Contributor

I checked with USAA and they said I would be the only one with access to the account. Even so, I am not sure I would be doing her any favors. I mentioned that I was going to add her and that she should get a slight increase in her score from it and withing 2 minutes she was already talking about apping for a credit card of her own so she could charge to it. I think I will just let her rebuild on her own and keep our finances 100% seperate.

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ740, EX695
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

I have multiple people listed on my AMEX cards as an AU.  None of them have a card, or have access to my account.  It was done to simply help their scores. 

Message 14 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@bcdudley wrote:

I checked with USAA and they said I would be the only one with access to the account. Even so, I am not sure I would be doing her any favors. I mentioned that I was going to add her and that she should get a slight increase in her score from it and withing 2 minutes she was already talking about apping for a credit card of her own so she could charge to it. I think I will just let her rebuild on her own and keep our finances 100% seperate.

Yikes. It does sound like she needs to do it the tough way, doesn't it?

I think you've got the right idea.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I think you made the right decision because it was hard.

Givining someone unwilling to manage credit the chance to do more harm is foolish. Maybe a time will come when she's serious about fixing it. I had the ex as an AU when married.... she tried raising the limit to bail her BF out of jail, LOL! "Live and learn", I guess.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 16 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Maybe a hybrid approach.  Once she demonstrates that she's on the road to responsibly rebuilding for a given amount of time, you can revisit the idea of adding her as an AU then.  She'll still instantly pick up all the good history from your account at that time and get some score boost.  And you'll already know that she's turned a corner financially. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 17 of 20
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@bcdudley wrote:

Can I add my wife as an AU to my credit cards and be 100% sure that she has no way of using them. I want to help her increase her score, but she is horrible with money and is very deserving of her 490 credit score. She is one of the people that believes if she has checks, she has money. She actually got a $300 secured card to try to help, then maxed it out and never paid a penny of it. 

I have tried to teach her how to manage her money better, but it just hasn't worked.  What I would like to do is help her for future purchases we make together, but I don't want it to come back and hurt me.

Amex allows you to make someone an AU, and you can go online and "Freeze activity on this Additional Card" or set a spending limit -- the minimum limit is $200.

Message 18 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@drkaje wrote:

I think you made the right decision because it was hard.

Givining someone unwilling to manage credit the chance to do more harm is foolish. Maybe a time will come when she's serious about fixing it. I had the ex as an AU when married.... she tried raising the limit to bail her BF out of jail, LOL! "Live and learn", I guess.

lol, indeed. Smiley Very Happy I'm sorry, I'm sure it wasn't funny then, but it sounds like you've gotten past it!

Message 19 of 20
ILBrian
Regular Contributor

could always add her and not tell her

Wallet: Discover IT, Discover Gas, Citi Professional (6.74% apr), Chase Freedom, Cap1 Quciksilver, Élan Financial Rewards, BOA Amex, Walmart, CareCredit, Paypal Smart Connect, Kohls, HSBC Cash or Fly, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Zync, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, USAA Plat Rewards, Chase Ink, NFCU Plat
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.