Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AX rumored AF increase on the Platinum?

tag
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

AX rumored AF increase on the Platinum?

Just watched Ask Sebby (YouTube) discussing about the possibility that AX Platinum might possibly raise the AF in the very near future. He gave some

arguments as to why he believes this will happen. He did say that people will continue to pay increased AFs as long as the benefits outweighs the costs and gave an example that when the card had an AF of only $450, you got back about $200 in credits. Now that it's $695, although higher, more people are taking it out because of the benefits. 

Of course, nothing is confirmed by AX and Sebby is looking into his crystal ball, so take it for what it's worth. 

JR
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AX rumored AF increase on the Platinum?

FUD will help Sebby get a lot of clicks to help him pay the $695 annual fee.  He has been very good about getting YT views and web traffic, but has an abysmal record of actually making factual statements when it comes to credit cards.  The fee just increased for existing cardholders 11 days ago, and for new cardholders 6 months ago.  Prior to that, it had been 5 years since they raised the AF from $450 to $550.  A long-rumoured card that sits between Platinum and Centurion would be more likely than Amex changing the AF again in the near future.

Message 2 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

He has been very good about getting YT views and web traffic, but has an abysmal record of actually making factual statements when it comes to credit cards. 

I laughed out loud when I read that sentence, but you speak the truth. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 12
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

I think it's more likely they jack AFs on the Brilliant, Aspire, Surpass and Green (in approximate order of likelihood). They already put out some surveys on possible feature sets for a $650 Brilliant.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 4 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I was going to say, they only just raised it recently. There's no way they'd raise it again so soon.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 12
tallin32
Valued Member

I remember seeing his last set of predictions for Amex—and I'm pretty sure that exactly zero of them happened.  I sort of agree with the general consensus here—we just had an increase.

Didn't he say that the wireless credit would be an Amex Offer?

Current cards:
  • Amex Gold (NPSL)

• Amex Gold (NPSL)

• Amex Platinum (NPSL)

• Amex Green (NPSL)

• Amex Platinum for Schwab (NPSL)

• Amex BCP ($10,000)

• Delta SkyMiles Reserve ($19,000)

• Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant ($10,000)

• Hilton Honors Aspire ($3,700)

• Amex Blue Business Plus ($15,000)

• Bill World Elite MC ($10,000)

• Citi Custom Cash ($4,000)

• Capital One World Elite Mastercard ($4,300)

• Mercury Mastercard ($3,650)

• Discover IT ($3,300)

• Apple Card ($5,750)

• NFCU Flagship Rewards ($11,000)

Message 6 of 12
tallin32
Valued Member

@notmyrealname23 Hang on. You have both the Schwab AND Original Recipe Platinum? I was considering the Schwab, but wondered whether I should cancel my regular Platinum card.

Current cards:
  • Amex Gold (NPSL)

• Amex Gold (NPSL)

• Amex Platinum (NPSL)

• Amex Green (NPSL)

• Amex BCP ($10,000)

• Discover IT ($3,300)

• Apple Card ($5,750)

Message 7 of 12
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@tallin32 wrote:

@notmyrealname23Hang on. You have both the Schwab AND Original Recipe Platinum? I was considering the Schwab, but wondered whether I should cancel my regular Platinum card.

Yes. There were very sexy upgrade offers on my Gold and a best ever SUB on the CS plat. Thus, two Plats. This is not going to be kept long term, but if AMEX wants to shovel points at me...

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 8 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@tallin32 wrote:

@notmyrealname23Hang on. You have both the Schwab AND Original Recipe Platinum? I was considering the Schwab, but wondered whether I should cancel my regular Platinum card.

Yes. There were very sexy upgrade offers on my Gold and a best ever SUB on the CS plat. Thus, two Plats. This is not going to be kept long term, but if AMEX wants to shovel points at me...

I was juggling three last month.

Business (new card for property management...plan to keep...the credits and 35% back feature I like...probably the best overall value)

Schwab (LT keeper...credits work and I get a Schwab loyalty credit)

Regular personal (SUB chasing, and I have since downgraded it to Gold...might upgrade for the right SUB since I have BCP and EDP from upgrade offers)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 12
tallin32
Valued Member

Wow—I only have the Green, Gold, Platinum and BCP.  I'm such a n00b.

Current cards:
  • Amex Gold (NPSL)

• Amex Gold (NPSL)

• Amex Platinum (NPSL)

• Amex Green (NPSL)

• Amex BCP ($10,000)

• Discover IT ($3,300)

• Apple Card ($5,750)

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.