Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AaoA and 5/24

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

AaoA and 5/24

Hey guys, just a quick question I know opening up a lot of cards could bring your age down but let's say you don't apply for the next 2 or 3 years, just so that you could be under the 5/24 to get the Chase cards, if you do it that way, would it be bad for the credit score cause it took you 2-3 years to open up another card rather than sooner? Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Re: AaoA and 5/24

No it will actually help you.... The longer you go without seeking credit the better your score is....
Inquires Fall off and your credit file matures....

You have a better chance of approval if you haven't applied for anything in years.....
Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MrDFinance wrote:
No it will actually help you.... The longer you go without seeking credit the better your score is....

You have a better chance of approval if you haven't applied for anything in years.....

Right, and remember this is "normal" behavior:  outside of credit card forums, most people have very few cards and might have 10-20 or more years between applications.

Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MrDFinance wrote:

Right, and remember this is "normal" behavior:  outside of credit card forums, most people have very few cards and might have 10-20 or more years between applications.

And those same normal people find ways to default. Having 3 credit cards or 20 , if you arent responsible with them  can both end in disaster...or good credit. Going years without apping is a great goal thoughSmiley Wink

Message 4 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

By waiting, you'll take a significant hit (20 points, maybe?) because you've brought your AoYa (age of youngest account) to zero. But if you didn't wait, you wouldn't have earned those points to begin with. As mentioned, lenders like an AoYA that's greater than zero.

AAoA (average age of accounts) is harder to pinpoint, but if you drop below a threshold, you probably won't be hit by much.

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Hey guys, just a quick question I know opening up a lot of cards could bring your age down but let's say you don't apply for the next 2 or 3 years, just so that you could be under the 5/24 to get the Chase cards, if you do it that way, would it be bad for the credit score cause it took you 2-3 years to open up another card rather than sooner? Thanks!

No. The opposite. That's the best thing you could do for your credit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

By waiting, you'll take receive a significant hit gain (20 points, maybe?) because you've brought your AoYa (age of youngest account) to zero 24 months and increased your AAoA by 24 months. But if you didn't wait, you wouldn't have earned those points to begin with. As mentioned, lenders like an AoYA that's greater than zero.

AAoA (average age of accounts) is harder to pinpoint, but if you drop below a threshold, you probably won't be hit by much.

@There @HeavenOhio I fixed that for you.

Message 7 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica, it looks like you could read my post two ways, and you read it the opposite of what I had intended. Smiley Happy I meant to imply that a new account would have brought the OP's AoYA to zero after not having applied for anything recently.

Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@SouthJamaica, it looks like you could read my post two ways, and you read it the opposite of what I had intended. Smiley Happy I meant to imply that a new account would have brought the OP's AoYA to zero after not having applied for anything recently.

No you wrote it the opposite of what you had intended Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

No you wrote it the opposite of what you had intended Smiley Happy

Her post really confused me, glad its clarified.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.