Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abound CU Platinum Visa

tag
DataPoint
Established Member

Re: Abound CU Platinum Visa

Abound confirms that proximity to Kentucky is still no longer a requirement to applying for membership - I happened to have the same question and called them earlier today.

NOV 22 | BUS CARD | 2K | AMEX 2% Blue Business Cash Card | EXP HP
JAN 22 | PER CARD JOINT | 15K | 5% Max Cash Preferred | TU HP | Joint owner: 800+ score
JUN 21 | FED LOAN | Federal Education Loan
JUN 21 | PER CARD AU x4 | 60.5K | Bank of America 1997 Americard World Rewards + 2017 3% Gas Cash Rewards + 2019 3% Online Purchases + 2020 Travel Rewards

NaN
MAY 21 | no credit history

PLAN
2023 | NET 30 ACCT | CreditStrong [DB SBFE EXP EQ PayNet] + Costco [DB SBFE EXP] + CEO Creative [DB EXP Credit Safe] + Creative Analytics [DB EQ Credit Safe]
2023 | BUS CARD | L&N Visa Platinum Business Card | 5% gas
2023 | BUS CARD | Chase Ink Business Cash | 5% office + utilities
2024 | PER LOAN | NFCU Secured 15 YR | 97% immediate prepayment + $5/mo
Message 11 of 38
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

I hadn't checked out this CU in a while since they converted from Fort Knox to Abound. Went to the website and found they still carry their 5% Gas Platinum card. It's always in the back of my mind.....what will I do if FNBO ever discontinues the grandfathered Ducks UNL card?  PNC has been on my radar as a potential @ 4% as well....

But after looking at the card again, I noticed this:

ZZ Abound CU Extra QTR Rewards - July-Sept 2021.PNG

ZZ Abound Cashback Fine Print.PNG

Since this is stating valid July 1 - Sept 30, this seems to infer QTR 3 of a rotating schedule. Having a rotating schedule on top of the 5% Gas would make this a very intriguing card.  I was hoping maybe some Abound members could chime in and verify if this IS what it looks like?  If so, what bonuses do the other QTR's offer?

The checking/savings products aren't really anything to sneeze at, but a (5% Gas + Rotator) CC might merit parking some small amounts just for that benefit. The CU is also in the Co-Op network and evidently still accepts out-of-state membership, from previous posts.

I know @batsy71  and @Rockysocks  are current members, maybe they could shed some light?.....and if anyone else is a member or has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.... Smiley Happy

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 12 of 38
batsy71
Regular Contributor

Weirdly, I did not receive any email notifications about this. I dug through my emails to check and found one offer from them in Oct 2020, when they gave 5% cash back on Amazon from Oct 13-14.

Besides that, they once offered complimentary  ID Navigator Powered by NortonLifeLock service around Feb 2021.

I also checked my last cc statement and checked through my abound online portal and found no signs or notifications of quarterly categories.

If they offer a permanent quarterly 5% rotator category that would be pretty solid. We can only wait and watch.

Message 13 of 38
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the feedback @batsy71 . If you happen to get anymore information from the CU on this, please let us know. I am very intrigued.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 14 of 38
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

It also shows this:

Abound.PNG

"Periodic rotation of additional cash back specials" ......this really looks like they are adding Rotators. This could be a really big thing...

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 15 of 38
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

Sorry I'm late!! I first saw those extra offers in Q4 of 2020. I've seen them for restaurants, home improvement, and, I think, summer outdoor activities like camping and amusement parks. I never knew they started the extra offerings until I stumbled upon it.

Message 16 of 38
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Rockysocks   Wow. So this looks to be a permanent rotation then?  I can see this taking off as one of the top Gas cards now.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 17 of 38
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

Yup, so far they've had a solid extra offer every quarter! I don't think they want to make it really official with advertisements and such just so they can as quietly end the program if unprofitable. I'm not complaining while it lasts lol.

Message 18 of 38
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Rockysocks   This is very similar to the Affinity FCU card....Affinity's card has (5% Amazon & Bookstores + 5% Rotating Categories)....and I wonder if it's the next evolution in CU-based CC's. (5% Fixed category + 5% Rotating)

And with most CU's being member-owned, they are able to offer cards like this because they are somewhat less profit-based than the big banks. It's working for AOD, Affinity, US Alliance and others. And I would imagine the myFICO wave for each CU has certainly boosted their ability to maintain it.

I'm keeping my eye on this.... Thanks for the feedback @Rockysocks 

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 19 of 38
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

You're welcome!!! 

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.