Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abound CU Platinum Visa

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Abound CU Platinum Visa

@Taurus22 wrote:

@ChargedUp   Just as an FYI....I've also read that they are extremely sensitive to new accounts/INQ's. As with most FI's they want the majority of your banking to be with them.....but they are moreso sensitive about it.  I would try to be maybe 0/12 before applying.  That's what I plan to do, to be safe. Once I shore up everything else I want, I'll garden for 12 months to clear my pallet, then go for it.  YMMV, just putting it out there.

Additionally, I've heard they also start most CC's with $5k SL......and $10k seems to be the cap for most.

I'll be 0/12 next July... by that time $5K should cover a couple fill ups in California. 

Message 31 of 38
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@ChargedUp   Just as an FYI....I've also read that they are extremely sensitive to new accounts/INQ's. As with most FI's they want the majority of your banking to be with them.....but they are moreso sensitive about it.  I would try to be maybe 0/12 before applying.  That's what I plan to do, to be safe. Once I shore up everything else I want, I'll garden for 12 months to clear my pallet, then go for it.  YMMV, just putting it out there.

Additionally, I've heard they also start most CC's with $5k SL......and $10k seems to be the cap for most.

I'll be 0/12 next July... by that time $5K should cover a couple fill ups in California. 

Lol, right.  Smiley LOL  Maybe a couple....

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 32 of 38
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Lol, right.  Smiley LOL  Maybe a couple....

I wish I was kidding 😭

Message 33 of 38
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

This looks like a very solid card with 5% rotating category added. This might be something I look at later AFTER I go for the Chase Freedom Flex! I'm definitely going to hold out until I get to 4/24 again this time. I'm mean, that's absolutely, positively the the plan. I have no plans to app for anything else until I get the Freedom Flex, ya know, probably. 😉😂

Emphasis on probably? ROFL

Message 34 of 38
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

This looks like a very solid card with 5% rotating category added. This might be something I look at later AFTER I go for the Chase Freedom Flex! I'm definitely going to hold out until I get to 4/24 again this time. I'm mean, that's absolutely, positively the the plan. I have no plans to app for anything else until I get the Freedom Flex, ya know, probably. 😉😂

Stop it.  Smiley LOL

😂😂

I'm actually really good on gas right now, and that's my only minor hole right now. We added our son to our AMEX cards as an AU to start building his credit, and they both had the $50 statement credit to spend $1000 within 6 months offer, and that will stack on top of the standard rewards. That basically means the Cash Magnet will earn 6.5% and the BCP will earn 8%. This will last around 5 months, and it won't be long after that it will be the 5% Disco gas quarter. 

The additional 5% PayPal quarter on the Freedom Flex is actually my most sought after category I want to add right now. 

Exactly this. I already have my PP Key now, so Freedom Flex is a high priority for me too, at least by QTR 3 next year, in case they change the rotation. And your first year after applying for Flex, you get 9% Grocery (during the Grocery quarter) so it's a solid hitter there.....going to try to time my app for one month prior to their Grocery quarter and in time for the PayPal quarter......assuming they continue that. (fingers crossed)

9? Should be 10. Ours says 5% back on groceries for the first year up to 12k and if there is a grocery quarter at 5% that makes 10%, no?

Message 35 of 38
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Crowhelm wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

Stop it.  Smiley LOL

😂😂

I'm actually really good on gas right now, and that's my only minor hole right now. We added our son to our AMEX cards as an AU to start building his credit, and they both had the $50 statement credit to spend $1000 within 6 months offer, and that will stack on top of the standard rewards. That basically means the Cash Magnet will earn 6.5% and the BCP will earn 8%. This will last around 5 months, and it won't be long after that it will be the 5% Disco gas quarter. 

The additional 5% PayPal quarter on the Freedom Flex is actually my most sought after category I want to add right now. 

Exactly this. I already have my PP Key now, so Freedom Flex is a high priority for me too, at least by QTR 3 next year, in case they change the rotation. And your first year after applying for Flex, you get 9% Grocery (during the Grocery quarter) so it's a solid hitter there.....going to try to time my app for one month prior to their Grocery quarter and in time for the PayPal quarter......assuming they continue that. (fingers crossed)

9? Should be 10. Ours says 5% back on groceries for the first year up to 12k and if there is a grocery quarter at 5% that makes 10%, no?

@Crowhelm 

In the terms it actually reads like: The 5% Rotating category is actually (4%) + (1% default)

The 5% Grocery category is (4%) + (1% default)

Combined it would be (4% Grocery) + (4% Rotating) + (1% default) = 9%

You only get the 1% default once, plus the double 4% for the bonus categories. You can see this when you read the CFF disclosure.  Still, 9% is pretty hot for Grocery spend either way.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 36 of 38
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Crowhelm wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

Stop it.  Smiley LOL

😂😂

@Crowhelm 

In the terms it actually reads like: The 5% Rotating category is actually (4%) + (1% default)

The 5% Grocery category is (4%) + (1% default)

Combined it would be (4% Grocery) + (4% Rotating) + (1% default) = 9%

You only get the 1% default once, plus the double 4% for the bonus categories. You can see this when you read the CFF disclosure.  Still, 9% is pretty hot for Grocery spend either way.

@Taurus22  Sigh, why am I not surprised that a bank makes things this complicated. Thanks for the clarification. 

Message 37 of 38
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Let's keep this thread on topic folks.  The last few comments have strayed from the original discussion that the OP had posted.  And, while there can be some general comparisons with peer products based on rewards structures, the topic of discussion is about "Abound CU Platinum Visa", not Chase Freedom Flex.

Thank you.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.