Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Discover two tiers customers

tag
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

About Discover two tiers customers

Hi guys, just heard about the different treatment about Discover, recently post about this http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-2-Cashback-Bonus-offer-on-up-to-500-in-purchas...

How Discover make their standard? I am new to credit world, how long can I become prime? And will discover automatically low my APR in the future at I have long enough credit records?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: About Discover two tiers customers

This is presumably a targetted offer.  I didn't get it, even though I have been with Discover for four years, and have good credit.

I got a previous offer once, and I think it was based on the fact that I wasn't using my card much at the time.

So I'm not sure that there are Discover "tiers".

Message 2 of 16
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your reply, just curious about the disover.Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 16
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure Discover does not have customer tiers. I'm absolutely certain there's no "two tier" system that some people here have claimed.

Discover likes to give small offers and small gifts to its customers. If you notice, these things rarely amount to more than $5 or $10. Also, if you notice, different people get different things at different times.

If Discover has a "prime tier" of customers, then I'd probably be in it -- long history, lots of use, perfect payment, and I always run balances with them. Yet I seem to get about half of their little fun offers and miss about half.

Sure, there are undoubtedly internal standards by which they choose to make these gestures. But for heaven's sake, we should just just enjoy the fun and quit worrying about "tiers" or what criteria Discover is using. If we weren't here at MyFico comparing notes all the time, we'd never even have reason to feel we were being shorted or mistreated by not getting offers. We'd just get a smile if the offers or gift cards or whatever came our way.

Message 4 of 16
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Really impressed with your reply! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Discover does not have customer tiers. I'm absolutely certain there's no "two tier" system that some people here have claimed.

Discover likes to give small offers and small gifts to its customers. If you notice, these things rarely amount to more than $5 or $10. Also, if you notice, different people get different things at different times.

If Discover has a "prime tier" of customers, then I'd probably be in it -- long history, lots of use, perfect payment, and I always run balances with them. Yet I seem to get about half of their little fun offers and miss about half.

Sure, there are undoubtedly internal standards by which they choose to make these gestures. But for heaven's sake, we should just just enjoy the fun and quit worrying about "tiers" or what criteria Discover is using. If we weren't here at MyFico comparing notes all the time, we'd never even have reason to feel we were being shorted or mistreated by not getting offers. We'd just get a smile if the offers or gift cards or whatever came our way.

Well said Gunnar.

Message 6 of 16
mxp114
Valued Contributor

I got the offer for 2% for January but didn't get the previous few, it's probably based on usage and offered to encourage customers to use their card. About tiers, Discover (like all issuers) do segment cardholders into various groups. Discover offers enhanced services like concierge, free events, airport lounge access and other extras to the top tier accounts.

Message 7 of 16
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience! Really appreciated!

Message 8 of 16
linux007969
Established Contributor

Discover does have 2 tiers it actually differs in their card agreements...

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cardmember-agreement/?icmpgn=publichelpcenter

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 9 of 16
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

It's fun to see that I get an offer to spend $1500 a month over five months to earn $250, when my wife gets an offer asking her to spend $3500 to earn $500.

We had some recurring charges that met the $1500 threshold, and it would've been a challenge to find $3500 in merchants that took Discover, so we pursued my offer.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.