Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About inquiries, Approved for CSP last, and approved for the Explorer today

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

About inquiries, Approved for CSP last, and approved for the Explorer today

Hello forum!

Haven't been chasing sign up bonuses for quite some time now.

Just this week decided to take advantage of Chase's generosity when it comes to sign up bonuses:

-Chase Sapphire Preferred: 80k UR points.

-Chase Explorer: 60k mileageplus points.

THATS POTENTIALLY $2K OR MORE IF USED WISELY!

So I was approved last night for the CSP, $16,500, immediately got a inquiry alert from Experian. Tried applying for the Explorer last night as well and the site wouldn't let me and was giving me a pending status.

Decided to check this morning for the app status and it wasn't there... So, considering how determined and dumb I am I decided to apply for the Explorer today and was approved immediately, $16,000, this time I didn't get an alert from any of the credit bureaus...

Such long post just to ask a simple question: it's there a possibility they didn't pull my credit today since they pulled it yesterday? I wouldn't mind the inquiry but it would be way better if they don't post it.

This is just for my own knowledge since I achieved my goal anyway.

Thanks in advance

31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: About inquiries, Approved for CSP last, and approved for the Explorer today

Applying for two chase cards back to back is not a good idea. You run the chance of both being shut down. 

Take the CSP and UE with your good limit and put the brakes on. Fingers crossed they don’t take action 

Congrats on your approval  btw

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only restrictions they had according to what I read in the application was about applying for 2 Sapphire products within the last 48 months... Didn't see anything conflicting involving the Explorer.

But you are right, perhaps that was the reason the website was preventinge from applying again last night... Fingers crossed!

PS: I had the CSP and freedom and cancelled them 20 months ago due to bad service, combined limits at that time was $28,500. So the current lines make sense, at least to me lol

Message 3 of 32
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applying for two chase cards back to back is not a good idea. You run the chance of both being shut down. 

Take the CSP and UE with your good limit and put the brakes on. Fingers crossed they don’t take action 

Congrats on your approval  btw

+1

Congrats on your approvals!! I hope they aren't closed. Many threads on that happening, but YMMV.

Its best to wait at least 3 months between Chase apps. Also considering their 5/24 rule.

Chase will be doing SP pulls for next couple of months. I would suggest you refrain from further apps. Let them age and fly below radar.

Message 4 of 32
800wannabe420
Regular Contributor

I thought you couldn't collect multiple subs within the same family if you held that card within the previous 48 months?  I could be mistaken...

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all! 

Last time I applied was September last year for a WF card. Only that inquiry in my report.

Yes, if they remain open, definitely under the radar.

Oh and I didn't apply withing the last 48 months, I had it for 7 years before applying again

Message 6 of 32
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Are you planning on keeping the Explorer card for the long term? Aside from the the first $3k spend to earn the SUB, it doesn't seem like there's any reason to put any spend on it after that. The 2 annual lounge passes and free checked bag are nice if you don't otherwise have any United status though, so that might make it worthwile to toss it a few bucks occasionally to keep it active/open.

Also agree with the above advice to garden for a while now, at least 90 days. Chase gets scared very easily, with anything they perceive to be "aggressive credit seeking behavior". It's generally advised to not apply for 2 Chase cards within 90-180 days of each other (although, like you, I ignored that advice and got lucky, so hopefully you do as well)

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 7 of 32
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

Are you planning on keeping the Explorer card for the long term? Aside from the the first $3k spend to earn the SUB, it doesn't seem like there's any reason to put any spend on it after that. The 2 annual lounge passes and free checked bag are nice if you don't otherwise have any United status though, so that might make it worthwile to toss it a few bucks occasionally to keep it active/open.

With no status there's also group 2 or 3 boarding(can't remember), expanded award space, and the reason I want the card, 25% bonus on MileagePlusX purchases. Not a bad deal.

Message 8 of 32
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@800wannabe420 wrote:

I thought you couldn't collect multiple subs within the same family if you held that card within the previous 48 months?  I could be mistaken...

You can now only hold 1 card within the Sapphire family although anyone who held both before the restriction was put in place was grandfathered in and there have been various loopholes that some people have been able to exploit.

In addition once you collect a SUB within the Sapphire family you cannot collect another one for another 48 months, where the 48 month window starts when the 1st SUB is earned and not when the 1st card is approved.

As for approval for 2 Chase cards in a day, it's much more likely that the 1st card will remain intact with only the 2nd one closed than it is for both to be closed.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 32
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@CaptJOB wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

With no status there's also group 2 or 3 boarding(can't remember), expanded award space, and the reason I want the card, 25% bonus on MileagePlusX purchases. Not a bad deal.

Explorer and Club cards get you Group 2 boarding.  There's no requirement to have purchased the ticket with your United card. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.