Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentally opened NFCU Secured card

tag
difringe
Established Contributor

Accidentally opened NFCU Secured card

So I told a friend they should join NFCU since both parents served; they then bought a car, so they'll be driving much more than they were in the past, so I recommended they get the NFCU More Rewards card to get the 3x points.  Said friend app'd for the nRewards secured card instead...when they spoke to the csr, they said they won't be able to get a new card for 6 months. I understand that the secured card won't graduate for 6 months (and also that this is a very weird question), but does getting a secured card prevent you from getting your second card at 91/3?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Accidentally opened NFCU Secured card

No, it doesn't. They can be approved for a second card while the first is still secured

Message 2 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@difringe, They can still apply for a 2nd un-secured card after 91/3.

Message 3 of 11
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

No judgement, how do you open a secure card accidentially?

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 4 of 11
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@FalconSteve wrote:

One way is by using Navy Fed's online pre-qual tool, and it pre-quals you for the secured nRewards card (even though you would probably get approved for an unsecured CC).  So you apply for the secured nRewards card.

Navy Fed's online pre-qual tool isn't reliable.

FICOs:

Message 5 of 11
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@difringe wrote:

So I told a friend they should join NFCU since both parents served; they then bought a car, so they'll be driving much more than they were in the past, so I recommended they get the NFCU More Rewards card to get the 3x points.  Said friend app'd for the nRewards secured card instead...when they spoke to the csr, they said they won't be able to get a new card for 6 months. I understand that the secured card won't graduate for 6 months (and also that this is a very weird question), but does getting a secured card prevent you from getting your second card at 91/3?

That's a bummer on the card mix-up.

Your friend will be good to apply for the 2nd card after 91 days and 3 statements. Usually most people make sure they have 3 FULL statements just to be safe.

Usually the earliest we start seeing Navy secured cards graduate is around the 7th month.

Keep us updated, good luck to your friend.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 6 of 11
difringe
Established Contributor

@FalconSteve wrote:

what happened was somehow when they opened their account with nfcu, their birth date was entered incorrectly from their driver's license...so they were calling customer service to get that taken care of and figured that while they were on the phone they could go ahead and see their pre-quals. my friend isn't really good at paying attention to detail, so when the csr said nrewards, they just thought 'rewards, right that's the card that he told me i should get' and accepted the card.

on one hand, my friend just really doesn't take any of this stuff seriously, so they didn't use the caution that one should always use when dealing with anything financial, but on the other hand, my friend's tu8 was 788, so i'm wondering why the csr would even think about suggesting that card to someone with 4 unsecured credit cards (at 12% utilization), a charge card, and a 788 tu8 score lol. guess the internal stuff really is wonky

of course the funniest part is i'm over here getting extra animated about it bc i literally sent like 4 screenshots from this forum and the nfcu website about the card, but my friend is just like 'meh, worse **bleep** has happened' hahaha

Message 7 of 11
sznthescore
Established Contributor

And what was the accidental credit limit your friend told that CSR they wanted to start with?  I'm sure the CSR had to inform your friend that the funds would need to be in their savings account and that a hold would be placed on those funds.

With a 788 FICO score I dont see the need for secured. IMO

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 8 of 11
sznthescore
Established Contributor

@difringe wrote:

@FalconSteve wrote:

what happened was somehow when they opened their account with nfcu, their birth date was entered incorrectly from their driver's license...so they were calling customer service to get that taken care of and figured that while they were on the phone they could go ahead and see their pre-quals. my friend isn't really good at paying attention to detail, so when the csr said nrewards, they just thought 'rewards, right that's the card that he told me i should get' and accepted the card.

on one hand, my friend just really doesn't take any of this stuff seriously, so they didn't use the caution that one should always use when dealing with anything financial, but on the other hand, my friend's tu8 was 788, so i'm wondering why the csr would even think about suggesting that card to someone with 4 unsecured credit cards (at 12% utilization), a charge card, and a 788 tu8 score lol. guess the internal stuff really is wonky

of course the funniest part is i'm over here getting extra animated about it bc i literally sent like 4 screenshots from this forum and the nfcu website about the card, but my friend is just like 'meh, worse **bleep** has happened' hahaha

@difringe Wrong DOB!? So how did your said friend pass identity verification to open the accounts in the first place? NFCU is too big of a credit union to let something like that slip by... IMO  Then to just call up and have it corrected. Hmmmmm..... 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 9 of 11
difringe
Established Contributor

@sznthescore wrote:

@difringe wrote:

@FalconSteve wrote:

@difringe Wrong DOB!? So how did your said friend pass identity verification to open the accounts in the first place? NFCU is too big of a credit union to let something like that slip by... IMO  Then to just all up and have it corrected. Hmmmmm..... 

i have no freaking idea lol. from what they told me, they sent in images of their id, and they pulled the expiration date of the id as the dob (which of course makes sense hahaha). that being said, considering they offered a secured card to someone with an almost 800 tu8 score, i'm not super surprised there were other errors

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.