Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Fraud Notification on Paypal Mastercard cash back credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account Fraud Notification on Paypal Mastercard cash back credit card

I have the 2% cash back Mastercard issued by Synchrony Bank via Paypal. Today, out of the blue, Paypal mailed me a replacement credit card. The new card has the the same credit card number as the old credit card, but the CVV security number is different. Also, the old card expires in in 2021 while the new card expires in 2023.

A small dark pinkish, magenta flyer was included in the envelope titled "Account Fraud Notification". The flyer goes on to say my credit card account information may have been compromised and I should activate the new card and destroy the old one.

I immediately reconciled this credit card's statement and found no fraudulent charges. I don't see anything, what so ever, to indicate any thing wrong. A similar situation occurred, about 12 years ago, at another financial institution. But unlike the Paypal Mastercard it was obvious that there were fraudulent charges and I was contacted first before an new credit card was issued with a different credit card number.

I am going to contact Synchrony bank tomorrow and make sure this is legit.

Is it odd that Paypal sent me a new credit card, with the same credit card number but different CVV number, before contacting me first? If their reason is being proactive in preventing fraud, would they not issue a new credit card number?

This is the flyer referencedThis is the flyer referenced

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Account Fraud Notification on Paypal Mastercard cash back credit card

That’s a new one — issuing the same number with a fraud notice. 

Keep us posted, that’s definitely weird. 

Message 2 of 18
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

I got the same thing, a few months back. I called in to find out what was going on. Was told there was a data breach and my account was one of those involved so new card was sent out.

Message 3 of 18
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

I just looked at your flyer, mine was different. I got a hot pink colored enclosure about the size of the envelope everything came in. Threw it away already but it referenced the data breach.

Message 4 of 18
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@2GreenThumbs wrote:
I just looked at your flyer, mine was different. I got a hot pink colored enclosure about the size of the envelope everything came in. Threw it away already but it referenced the data breach.

Yikes!  Never throw away a fraud notification!  You might need it to protect yourself in the event that your card is fraudulently used.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 18
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

I had a notice when I logged into Discover the other week saying that a new card was shipped out to me due to fraudulent activity on my account. I never disputed anything, nor were there any fraudulent charges... Also, I never even received a new card! I really need to call them about that lol. My card still works, though, and like I said, there were no charges that I didn't personally make, so maybe that's why I didn't really care.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 6 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the 2% cash back Mastercard issued by Synchrony Bank via Paypal. Today, out of the blue, Paypal mailed me a replacement credit card. The new card has the the same credit card number as the old credit card, but the CVV security number is different. Also, the old card expires in in 2021 while the new card expires in 2023.

A small dark pinkish, magenta flyer was included in the envelope titled "Account Fraud Notification". The flyer goes on to say my credit card account information may have been compromised and I should activate the new card and destroy the old one.

I immediately reconciled this credit card's statement and found no fraudulent charges. I don't see anything, what so ever, to indicate any thing wrong. A similar situation occurred, about 12 years ago, at another financial institution. But unlike the Paypal Mastercard it was obvious that there were fraudulent charges and I was contacted first before an new credit card was issued with a different credit card number.

I am going to contact Synchrony bank tomorrow and make sure this is legit.

Is it odd that Paypal sent me a new credit card, with the same credit card number but different CVV number, before contacting me first? If their reason is being proactive in preventing fraud, would they not issue a new credit card number?

This is the flyer referencedThis is the flyer referenced

No worries, it's legit.

The replacement was sent by Synchrony Bank so there's no need to contact Paypal.  A couple of years ago Synchrony sent me a new Sam's Club MasterCard with a similar note, and it was also the same account number but with a different CVV and expiration date.

It's slightly inconvenient, but since they know stuff we don't (data breaches, etc.) I do appreciate them being proactive rather than waiting until the fraud actually occurs. 

Message 7 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

FWIW. The CVV is generated using the exp date and an issuer specific seed, so if the exp date so will CVV.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2GreenThumbs wrote:
I got the same thing, a few months back. I called in to find out what was going on. Was told there was a data breach and my account was one of those involved so new card was sent out.

I called Synchrony Bank and everything checked out. The new card was sent out because of unauthorized access issues. The new card was activated.

But still it is dumbfounding, at least to me, for  Synchrony bank to be spooked and proactive enough to automatically send me a new card but change the card number. The CVV number are three digits 000-999. The month part of the date is two digits 01-12. The year part of the date is 01-99, however if I were an ID thief I would first try 2-4 year increments from the current year since that is usually how long credit cards' set their expiration year. So I would first try 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, By my calculation 48000 (1000 CVV * 12 months * 4 years) different combos of CVV, months and years.

Assuming, the who ever caused this data breach still has my credit card number and is aware that Synchrony bank does not issue new credit cards numbers, how hard would it be to brute force hack with 48000 combos?

What really sucks is this credit card was my catch call, cash back card for non category spending that did earn better on another card. Now all automatic payments using the old Mastercard have to be changed.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the merchant would be blocked way before 48000 combinations could be done. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.