Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account backdating

tag
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Account backdating

I have seen several posts about AMEX backdating the opening of a new account to the date open of a previous account opening date. Has anyone had any other creditor do this for them besides AMEX?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Account backdating

@AndySoCal wrote:

I have seen several posts about AMEX backdating the opening of a new account to the date open of a previous account opening date. Has anyone had any other creditor do this for them besides AMEX?

I couldn't say with absolute certainty, but I sincerely doubt it.  This is a unique Amex policy.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:
I couldn't say with absolute certainty, but I sincerely doubt it.  This is a unique Amex policy

+1

I've asked Cap1 if I apped for the Venture Card if they would use the opening date of my first card with them, and was told nope.

Message 3 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The way that AmEx gets to do this is that they call their cardholders "members."

The cards say "member since", so if you first joined in 1989 (in diapers, while waiting for your strained apricots Smiley Wink), that year gets used on any following cards.

But since we aren't "members" of BofA, Chase, Citi, CapOne, and so forth, this doesn't happen.

Hmmm, I'm a member of USAA, and they don't do this... Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, it's a nice use of semantics by American Express to extend a perk to their members, 99.9% of whom are probably not aware of its significance for their credit profiles.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

The way that AmEx gets to do this is that they call their cardholders "members."

The cards say "member since", so if you first joined in 1989 (in diapers, while waiting for your strained apricots Smiley Wink), that year gets used on any following cards.

But since we aren't "members" of BofA, Chase, Citi, CapOne, and so forth, this doesn't happen.

Hmmm, I'm a member of USAA, and they don't do this... Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, it's a nice use of semantics by American Express to extend a perk to their members, 99.9% of whom are probably not aware of its significance for their credit profiles.

My BOA AMEX card says member since 08.  My Citi Platinum says member since 09.    PenFed uses member since, too.  I posted an explanation about how AMEX is able to back date accounts.  The member since date is when one first entered  AMEX's system. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked thru my CC's and my Discover More says "Member Since 11" BoA CC says "Cardholder Since 11"

Message 6 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just looked thru my CC's and my Discover More says "Member Since 11" BoA CC says "Cardholder Since 11"

Cards that says member since are prime cards.  Cards that says cardholder since are suprime cards.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cards that says member since are prime cards.  Cards that says cardholder since are suprime cards.  Smiley Very Happy

Hmm... I just looked at my Dillard's Amex. It says "Member Since 11" -- and yet I know that many people don't consider GEMB backed cards to be prime. Maybe not, but with a $1700 CL and no AF, it's "prime" enough for me at this point in time. Smiley Wink

Seriously though, I don't think that you're implying that BoA is subprime, are you?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm... I just looked at my Dillard's Amex. It says "Member Since 11" -- and yet I know that many people don't consider GEMB backed cards to be prime. Maybe not, but with a $1700 CL and no AF, it's "prime" enough for me at this point in time. Smiley Wink

Seriously though, I don't think that you're implying that BoA is subprime, are you?

No, not all.  I was referring to certain cards.  But that post was just a joke. 

Message 9 of 11
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@DI wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, not all.  I was referring to certain cards.  But that post was just a joke. 

I kind of thought so. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.