Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achieving Very Large Amex Personal Revolving Limits

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Achieving Very Large Amex Personal Revolving Limits

I honestly do wonder since they take your entire AMEX account as a whole on how many/often CLIs you can request if it affects said increases and as well as what SLs you receive for new apps. I think it does to some extent even if those with biz cards it can make things clouded. I only have three revolvers combining at +$100k at present with CLIs only totallying $5k every time but I don't think I would be stiffed if I applied for a new card on the SL either. Maybe in two years once tax records catch up to new earnings I'll bite on 4506-T again and see what it gets me if I don't apply for any revolvers by then

Message 71 of 82
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Yeah, @K-in-Boston you need to be patient. 

Credit is a marathon, not sprint! 

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

I'm looking for shortcuts, though.  Where can I find cheat codes

Ok, since you asked nicely... as you're submitting the app:  up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

Message 72 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NimbusIII wrote:

I had a conversation with a very nice American express Executive on a flight a year ago that told me they cap at 100K or less on revolving lines .  When asked what the guidelines for that were he was vague, and said roughly 4x that in income.  However he did say with with business cards if you can show both a need and the ability to cover the expenses that a rep can adjust the limit. I have no definitive answer for you, but I would try talking to a rep from the need perspective and see if it gets you further. If you can explain to them that rolling 30k+ over on a 100K limit card would damage your credit rating then they may get that you have a good understanding a reason. This is if the rep has a clue.  This had worked well for me in the past with Chase.

When you said 4 times that of income do you mean if income is 100,000 it'd be a 25,000 limit? New on here. 🤷‍♂️

Message 73 of 82
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous I hope you don't mind, but I edited to your post to include a quote of the post you were referring to as it was unclear.  What I understood from that statement was that American Express generally caps revolving credit lines for personal accounts at around $100,000, unless someone has at least roughly 4x that in income (~$400k).

Message 74 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous I hope you don't mind, but I edited to your post to include a quote of the post you were referring to as it was unclear.  What I understood from that statement was that American Express generally caps revolving credit lines for personal accounts at around $100,000, unless someone has at least roughly 4x that in income (~$400k).

But that does NOT mean necessarily mean that someone with $100k is capped at 25K, right? I think it's more that limits up to $100k are based on history and spending?

Message 75 of 82
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

No, not at all.  That was part of my playful exasperation early on in this thread with the ratio of amount of annual spend to credit lines compared to others.  No shortage of data points here of people making $40,000 a year with $30,000 Blue Cash Preferred cards that they spend $3,000 a year on for 6% back on groceries, or people with $150k of income that have Amex limits in the neighborhood of mine (~$75k) with very limited spend.

At the end of the day, it looks like unless someone has a subsantially high income or is running decent business spending through their cards, Amex doesn't appear to really scale credit lines based on income and spend after a certain point.  Whenever I next get around to opening a new revolver with them, it'll still be interesting to see if they extend more revolving credit to me or if I need to reallocate.  Again, even after that first denied CLI request they still gave me another $48,000 between new cards and CLIs.

Message 76 of 82
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

For me what helped the most was getting new cards. I was denied my first CLI but then they had no problems approving me for new cards with high limits. I know it's not ideal but that's what worked for me. I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but don't forget that you can move your limits between your cards, just NOT business to personal.

Also, I would suggest getting the business cards since those are treated differently regarding their limits.

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 77 of 82
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MrCreditInternational wrote:

For me what helped the most was getting new cards. I was denied my first CLI but then they had no problems approving me for new cards with high limits. I know it's not ideal but that's what worked for me. I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but don't forget that you can move your limits between your cards, just NOT business to personal.

Also, I would suggest getting the business cards since those are treated differently regarding their limits.

Speaking of CLs and reallocations, (and sorry for the O/T sidebar @K-in-Boston). 

So, I attempted a CL reallocation online earlier this month from the plain HHonors account to Delta Platinum (both personal revolvers), and the default minimum $500 CL selection auto-populated for HHonors (CL $9,500).  I figured I'll leave it as $500 and eventually close it once the  $9,000 goes through.  Click Click, Submit. Womp Womp.

So, I figured...maybe too many revolvers? Or, the system is tracking overall exposure (even with reallocation)?  Now, I've done it before with my other revolvers and they went smooth.

Got the letter and the reason stated:

° Reallocating available credit from the requested account would cause its line of credit to fall below the minimum allowed per American Express policy. 

So, is there a minimum threshold for the plain HHonors? 🤔 (the system initially gave the option to go as low as $500).  And, how soon can this be re-attempted?  Best to try it again online or call?  I'm in no hurry of course, but daddy needs to consolidate to ummmm... yes 😁

Message 78 of 82
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Speaking of CLs and reallocations, (and sorry for the O/T sidebar @K-in-Boston). 

So, I attempted a CL reallocation online earlier this month from the plain HHonors account to Delta Platinum (both personal revolvers), and the default minimum $500 CL selection auto-populated for HHonors (CL $9,500).  I figured I'll leave it as $500 and eventually close it once the  $9,000 goes through.  Click Click, Submit. Womp Womp.

So, I figured...maybe too many revolvers? Or, the system is tracking overall exposure (even with reallocation)?  Now, I've done it before with my other revolvers and they went smooth.

° Reallocating available credit from the requested account would cause its line of credit to fall below the minimum allowed per American Express policy. 

So, is there a minimum threshold for the plain HHonors? 🤔 (the system initially gave the option to go as low as $500).  And, how soon can this be re-attempted?  Best to try it again online or call?  I'm in no hurry of course, but daddy needs to consolidate to ummmm... yes 😁

YMMV @FinStar , I believe it is $1K on the HH plain. I am sure because it did not go through, you can re-attempt anytime.

Message 79 of 82
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

YMMV @FinStar , I believe it is $1K on the HH plain. I am sure because it did not go through, you can re-attempt anytime.

Ok, thanks for the tip @M_Smart007

Since this is the first time I've seen this, I wasn't sure if the reallocation didn't go through (for the above reason), if it followed the same 30-day guideline as whenever a successful one goes through 👍😁

Message 80 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.