Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added as AU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Added as AU

A family member has generously offered to add me as an AU to one of their 20+ year old credit card accounts.

I am relatively new to credit.  Two cards at 4 months and 1 month respectively.  I do not want many credit cards and I have two excellent cash back cards right now.

So this considerable boost to my AAoA will allow me to do what now?  The CF and CSP are my goal cards.  Will I qualify for them due to this, in 4 to 5 months?  I figure I should wait at least that after just opening my BoA 321.

Also, with my existing cards, will it increase my ability to get larger CLI?  I am unsure as to the benefits of applying with such a boost to my score.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: Added as AU

What card were you added to?  If it was a Chase you should be good for at least the Freedom in just a few months.  Scores might help with CLI but Cap One seems to be pretty well set in what they are going to give you beforehand.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I won't know until I go over for dinner next week what the details are about the card. That's when we're going to add me.  I had to cut the conversation short and go back into work.

Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

It might be nice to be added as an au on a 20+ year history, but i would highly recommend just building your own credit file based on yourself first as you seem to be off to a good start.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would the drawback be of doing this?  I am willing to reconsider and build on my own, but you seem to be implying there may be some adverse effects?  She has a credit rating of over 800+ and is very financialy secure, so I am not worried about her credit hurting mine.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I did more research. It seems because it's my grandmother at a different address with a different last name it may not even report. Am I correct in that?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't matter all that much who it is to you thats adding you. As for address it depends on what bank the card is. Chase spacificly will only report if its the same address. Discover and capital one will no matter what.

As for benefits or drawbacks; it might help, it might do nothing at all. Some banks and/or scoring models don't take AU cards into account at all since there is no responsibility to the AU to pay back anything spent. Ive read that Chase is pretty big on ignoring AU accounts.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.