cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addicted to credit cards. How many is too many?

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Addicted to credit cars. How many is too many?

@Anonymous wrote:

I can not reallly close the ones that I dont like since they are around 30 years old and they are my oldest open trade lines.

The newer cards have much better rewards. Most of the old cards have no rewards at all.

However, 1.7 million available credit on 1500 cards seems really low. I have more available credit then that on my 42 cards.

You're welcome, glad to offer advice.

You can close some of the older cards ... as long as you close some newer ones also.  It's relative, so you just need to keep a good "average" age on your account.  If your credit age is up to 10 years or more old on average, that is a "high" age of accounts.  More than that isn't really helping a lot with scores or credit factors.   You just wouldn't want to close ALL your oldest accounts. (*Edit: And as @Anonymous  mentioned, the accounts will continue to age your report for ten years.)

As for rewards, have you looked into product changes?  (ALL) of those oldest cards I mentioned have been "product-changed" to an updated more current product with better rewards or terms.  My oldest current account is my Discover which started out as the original version which didn't even earn a full 1%, but still was a game-changer in its' day.  I've changed it to Discover More, Discover IT Chrome, and now just the Discover IT.  My Bank of America card was opened as a basic Bankamericard Visa with no rewards.  It was changed to a Cash Rewards.  My Chase Slate Visa started out with no rewards and was transitioned to a Freedom Unlimited.  And my AFBA/UMB card originally had no rewards, then a simple 1% CU Rewards program, and finally upgraded to the UMB Simply Rewards program that pays up to 3% rewards.  All PCs were done while maintaining the age of accounts. 

If you have $1.7 Million on 42 cards, that's an average credit line of over $40K per card!!  I would love to see you list of cards and limits.  What are a few of your oldest cards and highest limit cards?  What is your lowest limit? 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 21 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am glad I did this post. I had no idea that a closed account counts towards the age of ones credit.

I have a very old Chase card and a Citi card that are 30 to 32 years old.

I do use them to keep them active but for very small amounts.

Since they are free would it be a good idea to keep them open or close them?

I have a system where I check every one of my cards on line once a week to be sure there is no fraud and that everything looks correct.

I only have had one problem with a card from Syncrony Marvel Mastercard. There was a charge on there for $5.47 from Amazon in January. I called Marvel Mastercard and they closed the account and sent me a new card. I have no idea how that card was breached since I only used this card for some electric bills on line.

Message 22 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

My old Chase and Citi cards have lines of $30K to $75K

My old MBNA cards are now with Bank of America and where switched to cash rewards cards. These too have good lines of $50K to 90K

I do have one card with a line of $250K but I do pay an annual fee for that with Barclays of $195. It is the Luxury card. Rewards are only 1% but they offer so many services that the card is more then worth it.

I am a Forensic Pathologist so I have job security as long as people , hmm, ok enough said LOL

Message 23 of 50
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

It get's a little tough to keep track and to put spend on them all.

Everyone has a different tolerance level from @pinkandgrey to @Gmood1 Smiley Very Happy

@M_Smart007 

You rang?😆

OP it's your credit and your choice.

Most posters in this thread that claim what it will do and what it won't do to your credit. Have never had that many cards at one time or ever.

We both know, some of it is what people think happens. For example, low SLs and higher aprs. 

This is simply not true in all cases.

Many times I get the lowest APR offered by lenders. Many lenders could care less about the number of CCs I have.

Some folks collect baseball cards, some coins, comic books..you name it.

I collect cards. It's not something every one should do, try or can.

It's certainly not as easy to do as some would think. Great scores doesn't guarantee approvals.

It is the people like myself in this forum, who aren't afraid to take a HP or a denial. That come back to let the rest know how certain FIs operate. 

I've been through many, none of them are the same. While most have to guess how a lot of these bank's and CUs loan departments operate.

I know first hand how they do.

I can't do that being afraid to use my credit. And I like coming back here to share any data points that may help others.

Everyone in my immediate family as well as co-workers, previous co-workers contact me when it comes to this stuff. 

OP, sounds like you handle your CCs well. As long as you are not hurting anyone. Do what you do!😉

There are far worse addictions in this world.

Message 24 of 50
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My old Chase and Citi cards have lines of $30K to $75K

My old MBNA cards are now with Bank of America and where switched to cash rewards cards. These too have good lines of $50K to 90K

I do have one card with a line of $250K but I do pay an annual fee for that with Barclays of $195. It is the Luxury card. Rewards are only 1% but they offer so many services that the card is more then worth it.

I am a Forensic Pathologist so I have job security as long as people , hmm, ok enough said LOL

What was the appeal of the Luxury Card (Titanium version)? It has a bit of a reputation as "more sizzle than steak". Most people here opt for Amex Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve instead. $250k is a very nice limit, though!

Having a high recession-resistant income definitely helps get high SLs.

Cards should be useful. It doesn't sound like you need the old mediocre ones to get property loans on good terms.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 25 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

You can close some of the older cards ... as long as you close some newer ones also.  It's relative, so you just need to keep a good "average" age on your account.  If your credit age is up to 10 years or more old on average, that is a "high" age of accounts.    

@Aim_High , not sure what you mean here.   If I close an old account (and we agree no immediate impact to AAoA) what is the advantage of closing a newer too?   I can't quite think of what you might mean, when both drop off in ~ 10 years AAoA looks better by doing this?  (if AAoA is now much greater than 10 years, maybe?)

Message 26 of 50
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Gmood1, And I/We greatly appreciate all those DP's and your helpSmiley Happy

Message 27 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Luxury card is made of heavy stainless steel. Came in a display box. There is nothing else out there that looks like it.  The high credit line was as promised for this card.  I have the Titanium card which is $195 a year. The gold card version is $995 a year. I would not pay that much for any card. The rewards are not that much better.

I only use it to pay property taxes twice a year to areas that do not charge me a credit card user fee.

Message 28 of 50
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Luxury card is made of heavy stainless steel. Came in a display box. There is nothing else out there that looks like it.  The high credit line was as promised for this card.  I have the Titanium card which is $195 a year. The gold card version is $995 a year. I would not pay that much for any card. The rewards are not that much better.

I only use it to pay property taxes twice a year to areas that do not charge me a credit card user fee.

I live in CA but have the BofA Premium Rewards card. For a $100 payment to state or local government I pay $2.30 in fees but earn $2.69 in rewards (2.625% of $102.30). So I don't mind the fee.

Amex Blue Business Plus can sometimes give more via airline redemptions, but it has a spend cap and I also have all the miles I need for now.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 29 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

You can close some of the older cards ... as long as you close some newer ones also.  It's relative, so you just need to keep a good "average" age on your account.  If your credit age is up to 10 years or more old on average, that is a "high" age of accounts.    

@Aim_High , not sure what you mean here.   If I close an old account (and we agree no immediate impact to AAoA) what is the advantage of closing a newer too?   I can't quite think of what you might mean, when both drop off in ~ 10 years AAoA looks better by doing this?  (if AAoA is now much greater than 10 years, maybe?)

Well, yes, it would help as they all age over ten years.  It was more about keeping a relative balance the "new" against the "old" and was specifically aimed at OP's concerns about the long term effects of closing many cards.  But yes, for the short term, probably would have little effect if the accounts stay on the report.  While credit bureaus typically keep accounts on file for about ten years, there is no requirement for them to do so.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.