Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Mom as AU?

tag
k-s
Regular Contributor

Adding Mom as AU?

Hey all! 

my Mom is 62 yrs old and has decent credit (mid-high 600s) now, but is not able to get any credit cards. she has a BK7 from over 10 yrs ago (her business collapsed and unfortunately, it ripped apart her personal finances as well), but she has handled her credit responsibly since. she has a couple of store cards and a CapOne, but she has recently applied for a Walmart card and an Amex Blue and she was instantly declined for both. the Amex was apped for via a mail offer, which we thought might be a good sign, but still declined. 

she's discouraged about her future credit options and honestly, she's quite jealous that her 20 yr old daughter is approved for every prime card she apps for. I'm considering adding her as an AU on one of my cards to help her show some history with large limits on prime cards, but I don't know if this could have any negative affect on my credit profile? Just to be clear, I would not be giving her the card.

EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding Mom as AU?

Greetings and welcome to the forum. It would affect you if she upped the utilization on the card. However since you will not be giving her the card, it should not affect you at all. Good luck.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 2 of 3
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding Mom as AU?

@k-s wrote:

Hey all! 

my Mom is 62 yrs old and has decent credit (mid-high 600s) now, but is not able to get any credit cards. she has a BK7 from over 10 yrs ago (her business collapsed and unfortunately, it ripped apart her personal finances as well), but she has handled her credit responsibly since. she has a couple of store cards and a CapOne, but she has recently applied for a Walmart card and an Amex Blue and she was instantly declined for both. the Amex was apped for via a mail offer, which we thought might be a good sign, but still declined. 

she's discouraged about her future credit options and honestly, she's quite jealous that her 20 yr old daughter is approved for every prime card she apps for. I'm considering adding her as an AU on one of my cards to help her show some history with large limits on prime cards, but I don't know if this could have any negative affect on my credit profile? Just to be clear, I would not be giving her the card.

nope, won't hurt you since you're not giving her the card. Chase doesn't count AU accounts, so that wouldn't help her with any Chase approvals. 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.