cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages/Strategy of carrying balance on cards?

tag
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Advantages/Strategy of carrying balance on cards?

As you can see from the screenshot below, I carry what is less than a 1% balance across my cards. I have been doing the AZEO thing a while, but PPMC's d@$n midcycle reporting keeps screwing that up (I actually had $-50.00 balance when the statement cut on the 16th due to the SUB credit) but they reported the $107 balance again on the 21st for reasons unknown to me.  

I did this early on to try to have the best score possible. My BCP and my PNC cards aren't reporting yet, but I keep them at $0 as well. 

My question is would I benefit in some way from carrying a larger balance on at least one card? And if so, what % would be optimum? I would obviously carry the balance on one of the cards with a 0% APR intro period (my new BB&T card comes to mind - 0% for 15 months) because it makes no financial sense to pay interest, but if carrying a balance helps me, I'm game as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

I don't need to do this in any way, but do lenders like to see cards being used a certain amount? Do other CCCs know if a card is in a introductory period? IOW, do they know (or care) that you aren't paying interest? I thought I remember reading that lenders like to see cards being used and I wondered how, if anything, does usage affect CLI's, SLs, etc. 

What say the experts? Should I be "using" more of my 60K CL, even if really it's just on paper? 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Advantages/Strategy of carrying balance on cards?

IMO with 1 potential exception there is no real advantage to carrying balances (i.e. you make partial payments over a period of several months until the debt is paid in full) other than people that do so help to subsidize rewards paid out to those who do not.  

If the balance carried is associated with a 0% APR promotion issuers tend to take note in a positive way if payments of at least several times (like at least 4-5x) the mininum due are reliably made every month.

The advantages of float i.e. letting a balance report and then PIF are that a) it is in effect a free short term loan, b) it demonstrates to issuers that you in fact do use credit issued, and c) you also demonstrate that you have the financial ability to pay your routine debts in full.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 50
JNA1
Valued Contributor

So, would letting $1K, $2 - whatever - report and then paying that off in full before the due date would be the best route?
Would it be best to do this on one card or several? Or would it be better to rotate cards? For example, I pay utilities with my BBVA card and I current have a balance of a little over $800 on it, but I always pay it off before the 15th when the statement cuts. Should I let that report this month and then and then let, say my BCP (typically around $700 monthly) report next month? Should I let one of them report at a time or let a couple of them per month report? My typically monthly spend is around $4500 across all 5 cards I’m currently using. I can move any of that around as needed if it benefits me.

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 3 of 50
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Also, should I let the ones I’m trying to grow the most (Disco, PPMC, PNC) report the bigger balances or not? What gives me the best chances for CLIs?
I ask because I cycled $45K+ through my Disco this year, but never reported any significant balance and they refuse to approve any significant CLIs. I get denied monthly.😢

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 4 of 50
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

The only thing I have read about carrying a heavy balance is when you have excellent credit and you want to get a Capital One card as some say you can have too good of credit for them. 

Message 5 of 50
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

Do you mean to carry a balance (month over month) or just allow a balance to report? Those are very different things.

Allowing a balance to report then PIF shows usage and ability to manage your credit. Allowing no balance to report means...you’re not using your cards (or could be seen as such).

It’s also somewhat mentally exhausting to manage zero reporting across multiple cards while monitoring for posted charges/posted payments/statement dates and attempting to maximize rewards (but knowing you should pay with such and such a card, but the statement cuts in 3 days but the charge won’t post for 2 and it takes 1-2 for the payment to post. Did you make it? Is it zero? Or did you choose to use a less desirable card (or no card) just to be safe and make sure the other reports zero). Or that was my experience and since abandoning that, my anxiety has dropped considerably. I no longer worry about how many times Synchrony decides to report in a given month.

If you can pay in full, and the balances that Report wouldn’t represent a large percentage of the CL, you might find it infinitely less stressful to just use your cards (focusing on maximizing rewards/benefits) and pay the bill in full after it posts. You won’t pay interest, you’ll show usage & ability to manage your cards and you’ll have oodles less stress (if you’re like me).

If you need to maximize your score for an application, you can AZEO for a month or so before you apply.
Message 6 of 50
NRB525
Super Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:
Also, should I let the ones I’m trying to grow the most (Disco, PPMC, PNC) report the bigger balances or not? What gives me the best chances for CLIs?
I ask because I cycled $45K+ through my Disco this year, but never reported any significant balance and they refuse to approve any significant CLIs. I get denied monthly.😢

You are in the garden. Your score does not matter until you apply for new credit. In just under 2 years, you've gathered a nice list of cards. The AU from Credit One raises questions but your own cards look good.

In some limited circumstances, letting 90% to 95% of your limit be used on one card ( high individual card utilization ) can cause issues, but in general, trying to pay everything before each statement is extra work that isn't benefiting you. 

In the case of Discover, if your file is fairly new, that may be a limit on how fast they want  the CL to increase.  If look back at your Discover spend, if you had just let the spending stay on the Discover each month, and then pay the Statement Balance by the due date shown for that statement, how much would your max utilization have been, relative to the Discover limit at the time?

Are you continuing to use the Discover at that rate, or was that only during the CB Match period?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 50
thornback
Senior Contributor

@I_Love_Cards wrote:
Do you mean to carry a balance (month over month) or just allow a balance to report? Those are very different things.

Allowing a balance to report then PIF shows usage and ability to manage your credit. Allowing no balance to report means...you’re not using your cards (or could be seen as such).

It’s also somewhat mentally exhausting to manage zero reporting across multiple cards while monitoring for posted charges/posted payments/statement dates and attempting to maximize rewards (but knowing you should pay with such and such a card, but the statement cuts in 3 days but the charge won’t post for 2 and it takes 1-2 for the payment to post. Did you make it? Is it zero? Or did you choose to use a less desirable card (or no card) just to be safe and make sure the other reports zero). Or that was my experience and since abandoning that, my anxiety has dropped considerably. I no longer worry about how many times Synchrony decides to report in a given month.

If you can pay in full, and the balances that Report wouldn’t represent a large percentage of the CL, you might find it infinitely less stressful to just use your cards (focusing on maximizing rewards/benefits) and pay the bill in full after it posts. You won’t pay interest, you’ll show usage & ability to manage your cards and you’ll have oodles less stress (if you’re like me).

If you need to maximize your score for an application, you can AZEO for a month or so before you apply.

+1 totally agree here.  There is no need to do AZEO all the time.   The one-time boost from AZEO can be gained right before you apply for something - no need to micromanage your accounts to maintain the AZEO benefit consistently.  The average person (those not spending time in credit forums) with solid credit uses their cards, lets all balances report, and pays their statement balance in full by the due date -  they don't even know AZEO is a thing. 

Use your cards the way they are meant to be used, take advantage of the grace period before your payment is actually due - and only pay down before the statement cuts if your util will be extraordinarily high (and even then it's not necessary but it may make you feel better) - otherwise, if you're not apping,  don't worry about it.   You'll see a slight dtop in scores initially (mostly from losing the AZEO boost) but that's OK because you'll know why it happened and how to regain those points easily if needbe.   Your scores will still rise over time and you'll show your creditors you can responsibly handle multiple lines and varying limits for the long term. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 8 of 50
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

If balances aren't being reported the initial inference is that you already have sufficient credit limits.  This isn't an exact science but you don't have to let cards report at 100% utilization nor need to put significant spend every single month on any given card.

Just be aware of the impact on scoring for the 8.9%/28.9%/48.9%/etc utilization thresholds and impact at having more than 50% of your tradelines reporting a balance at any given time as you may want to tweak them at some point in preparation for applying for additional credit.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 50
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@I_Love_Cards - On carrying a balance vs letting the the cards report and then PIF - that’s what I didn’t know if one was considered best or whatever. Your post describes me to the T! 😔 I tell my poor wife a days before the statement “Don’t use the PPMC until the 16th!” Or “Don’t use the Discover until the 22nd!” A few days before the statement date. I had been doing that to maximize my score, but it is exhausting! I think I’ll loosen the reigns on that, especially if it will help me!

@NRB525 - I had myself removed as an AU from the Credit One, and disputed it so it doesn’t show up on my report at all now. That was a misstep that I was ignorant to. I’m not an AU on either of her cards now, I just have them listed because manage all of our cards and we are in this together. I’m building her profile too, and she’s more than content for me to handle all of it and just tell her which card to use on what! 😂
On the Discover, if I had let it report, most months it would have been nearly 90% utilization early on monthly and would have still been probably 70+% until last month, when I started spreading my spend out on other cards. I’ve made 5 or 6 payments per month on this card many times!
Starting this month, I’m mostly just using it for 5% categories now since my first year just ended. Do you think not almost any balance report these last 12 months has hurt my CLI chances?

@thornback - Thanks, that’s what I needed to hear. My wife will love it too! She says I stress her out sometimes! 🙈😂

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.