Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed - New NFCU Platinum card

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice Needed - New NFCU Platinum card

@ronaldc33 wrote:

So I've been seeing all the praise for NFCU and their high limits on credit cards so I decided to join. I know I'm supposed to establish a relationship, but I got impatient and applied for a card almost immediately, really before I even funded my savings and checking account. Got a surprisingly low limit of $500. The teller at the branch suggested I wait 6 months before trying to raise it, but I'm hoping it won't take that long.

I recently started making a very high income (200k+) but I don't have the FICO scores to match (low 600s across all 3). Main issue is high utilization, around 60%, so obviously the high limit would be ideal. 

What do you all suggest I do to get a higher limit with NCFU? Or should I just be more patient?

1.  Congratulations on your NFCU membership and on the Platinum card, a great card.

2.  Use that 200k+ income to pay down all your existing revolving accounts.

3.  After 3 months statements and at least 91 days have passed, wait until your EQ FICO 9 score on the NFCU website resets, and when it does apply for a CLI.

BTW it is common for NFCU to start you off on your first card with a low SL. So don't think you're alone in this.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

@keekers to further add to this - add a CD account and add a pledge loan - combine those with the DD mentioned and your interenal score is going to shoot up giving you a better chance for a CLI in 91/3

OP doesn't really need to add those. Unless they have an actual use for them. Opening the SSL can hurt more than help because of the new account hit, high aggregate installment hit, and AoNA hit. CD is optional I guess. But I don't have anything (besides CCs) other than DD and even that I didn't get until I was about 6-8 months in with Navy. I started with just a secured card and nothing else and I'm doing just fine. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 19
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@arifjk wrote:

@ronaldc33 wrote:

So I've been seeing all the praise for NFCU and their high limits on credit cards so I decided to join. I know I'm supposed to establish a relationship, but I got impatient and applied for a card almost immediately, really before I even funded my savings and checking account. Got a surprisingly low limit of $500. The teller at the branch suggested I wait 6 months before trying to raise it, but I'm hoping it won't take that long.

I recently started making a very high income (200k+) but I don't have the FICO scores to match (low 600s across all 3). Main issue is high utilization, around 60%, so obviously the high limit would be ideal. 

What do you all suggest I do to get a higher limit with NCFU? Or should I just be more patient?

1. Use your income to pay down your cards. Goal: Each individual card is to be max 28% UTIL ratio, and aggragate to be less than 8%

2. At 91 days after 3 full statements, ask for 3x CLI for your Platinum card. At 183 days, ask for another 3x CLI.

3. If you INQ in the last 6 months are over 10, then it won't reduce anymore of your FICO points (this is from what I have read) since it won't matter anymore, but for sure Lenders/CC Issuers who are INQ sensitive are not going to extend any credits, but if you only have 1, don't add anymore until it passes 12 months, which then the score will go up since it will not count the previous 12 months. 

4. Don't open any new accounts, since it will lower your AAoA, and this will lower your score as well. 

The main thing that you can grow your score right now and very soon is your UTIL ratio, and since your income is high, you should be able to do this. 

I would ask for the full $8000 CLI when you ask after 91 days. If they don't feel comfortable with that, they'll counter with a lower number. DW's first NFCU card was a low limit, but she's grown it to $16,500 asking for large CLIs. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 13 of 19
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Solid advice in this thread.

I'm also new to NFCU and was denied a card last week... so am working on the internal score with new DDs as mentioned in this thread.  I am NOT opening a secured card... with nearly $50k in unsecured cards and less than 10% UTI I don't think it's necessary... nor is a pledge loan being I have multiple car loans both paid and current.

That NFCU internal score does matter though!  LOL... already learned it the hard way.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 14 of 19
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@ronaldc33 wrote:

NFCU puts a lot of importance where you are weak, DTI.

I was approved for the platinum in april fo only 1k but yesterday i got a cli to 3k after my 3rd full statement but my DTI is around 9 pct.

My problem is that bk7 on my reports and modest income, 36k

i was approved for the cash rewards last dec/21 for 3700 sl and that one is up to 9700 and its only 7 months old.

NFCU cards grow fast, if you get that DTI down you have a great chance with them.

If your cl is under 4k than cli's are limited to 3x, that means your first cli should bring you up to 1500 and the next one 6 months later 4500. 

they can grow fast.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 15 of 19
keekers
Established Contributor

I don't disagree with you in general, @OmarGB9 but in the context of the OP's intent (deepening the relationship specifically with NFCU) I think the SSL and/or CD recommendations are valid considerations.  Your experience with NFCU is valid, of course, however others (like mine) are a bit different.  I joined NFCU and quickly opened Flagship Checking with DD and a pledge loan.  I didn't need the pledge loan for my credit file but I opened it (and immediately paid back 92% to avoid a jump in my aggregate installment debt) purely to deepen the relationship.  As you know, NFCU appears to weight the relationship and DTI relatively heavily in it's credit decisions.  For me there wasn't much of a hit to my FICO scores; I was approved for the More Rewards card with a $25K SL after only maybe a month of NFCU membership with some derogs on my report (you can see from my sig that I don't have flawless credit) and then got approved for the Cash Rewards with another $25K SL only a few months later .  Would I have been approved without the SSL?  Maybe...who knows.  Of course, it also depends on the individual credit profile (like everything else, right? Smiley LOL).  If nothing else, I have a long credit history and significant mix that helped me.  What I'm getting at is that while your points are certainly valid, I wouldn't dismiss the CD and SSL ideas out of hand.  Cheers.

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

@keekers to further add to this - add a CD account and add a pledge loan - combine those with the DD mentioned and your interenal score is going to shoot up giving you a better chance for a CLI in 91/3

OP doesn't really need to add those. Unless they have an actual use for them. Opening the SSL can hurt more than help because of the new account hit, high aggregate installment hit, and AoNA hit. CD is optional I guess. But I don't have anything (besides CCs) other than DD and even that I didn't get until I was about 6-8 months in with Navy. I started with just a secured card and nothing else and I'm doing just fine. 

Message 16 of 19
Bmac66
Frequent Contributor

@ronaldc33 wrote:

They are strict on CLI. Have to wait 6 months in between. If you click the CLI button before 6 months they will tell you you're not eligible for 6 months....

Message 17 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Bmac66 wrote:

@ronaldc33 wrote:

They are strict on CLI. Have to wait 6 months in between. If you click the CLI button before 6 months they will tell you you're not eligible for 6 months....

Yes, but at least it doesn't reset the CLI clock. You can still ask at the appropriate time.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 18 of 19
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@ronaldc33 you've gotten fantastic advice here. Following any of it will get you where you want with NFCU in a technical sense. I would refer to the last words of your original post as the wisest advice you can follow.... calm down.  

There's an inbuilt tendency for all of us to get crazy sometimes but patience is our best friend in this arena. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.