Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed on Closing Rebuilders

tag
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Advice Needed on Closing Rebuilders

Hello everyone. I would appreciate some advice on closing my two rebuilder cards, the Capital One Quicksilver. and the Merrick Double Line.  I got the QS in 10/21 with a starting limit of $500. I've paid in full and on time each month, but was twice turned down for a cli. Considering how Cap One buckets their cards, I do not think this card will grow with me. They also do not have any offers for me. The Merrick card is at $1,400, but there are no rewards or perks, and I pay $3 per month. I got it in 11/21. 

With my recent Citi approval for the Rewards +, I have a $3,300 sl that makes my rebuilders unnecessary. I also have a HH at $1,000 and a Green. In your opinion, when should I close my rebuilders?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice Needed on Closing Rebuilders

Provided your utilization is very minimal and would not skyrocket or escalate by the closing of these 2 particular cards, you can close them at any time. Just be sure to obtain confirmation from both that the accounts are closed and make sure the balances are $0. If they have fulfilled their purpose with rebuilding, there's nothing wrong with moving on.

Message 2 of 17
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Provided your utilization is very minimal and would not skyrocket or escalate by the closing of these 2 particular cards, you can close them at any time. Just be sure to obtain confirmation from both that the accounts are closed and make sure the balances are $0. If they have fulfilled their purpose with rebuilding, there's nothing wrong with moving on.

Thank you, that was my thought, as well. As for utilization, I have been keeping it pretty low, mostly less than 10%. 

Message 3 of 17
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

I closed all my rebuilders (close to a dozen) a couple of years ago and have never regretted it.

Message 4 of 17
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@NYC_Fella wrote:

I closed all my rebuilders (close to a dozen) a couple of years ago and have never regretted it.

Fantastic! Did you close them simultaneously, or space it out over a few months?

Message 5 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@shalimarcat wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Thank you, that was my thought, as well. As for utilization, I have been keeping it pretty low, mostly less than 10%. 

Since it's only 2 cards, there is no harm in closing them at the same time. They do not need to be staggered.

Message 6 of 17
citymunky
Established Contributor

If you have the no annual fee Cap1 QS, I would still consider still consider keeping it open as it's one of your foundation cards for your average age of accounts which you don't have to pay to keep open. The other card I would cost ASAP due to that monthly fee.

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 7 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@citymunky wrote:

If you have the no annual fee Cap1 QS, I would still consider still consider keeping it open as it's one of your foundation cards for your average age of accounts which you don't have to pay to keep open. The other card I would cost ASAP due to that monthly fee.

The OP appears to have scored some decent CCs recently. Aside from that, it's not like the closure of QS or Merrick stop the aging process or metrics.

If the QS account was 5+ years age-wise, maybe. But, if the OP wants more flexibility and less aggravation in the future with the $500 limit, there's really no loss, even without AF. The closed account(s) will still be factored into their AAoA until they drop off CRs (give or take up to ~10 years).

Message 8 of 17
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

@shalimarcat i closed all my 3 subprime rebuilding cards within a 6 month time frame - there was no reason for it as closing the card had NO impact on my credit score or utilization, but i just wanted to space them out just so it didn't look like i open cards just to close them (that was my own personal choice , there's no reason why you can't just close them down at the same time) 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 9 of 17
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

I closed my 3 rebuilders (Ollo, Mercury and Merrick) in September 2022 and October 2022. I would have closed all 3 at the same time but had to wait for Merrick to fix its EQ reporting issue. I needed to ensure that Merrick reported zero balance when closed. I had initially gotten a Cap One Platinum very early in my rebuild, and was quickly converted to a QS. I don't know if I would call mine a rebuilder but it will be going bye-bye soon as I have moved on and never use it.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.