Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice Needed..

Hello Everyone..

I am new to the forum but I have been reading it from long time as a guest Smiley Happy . I read all your valuble suggestions. Now I need a suggestion for myself. I hope you all will guide me through..

I have 3 creditcards.

BOA Visa - 1000--> CLI made it -->2500 ( August 2010)  limit -- from 2years 9 months

Citi Visa - 500 limit from 2 years

Discover - 1000 limit from 2 years

I have never asked for a CLI on any other else.

I have all 3 buearues more than 715 ish.. 

Pulled EQ for an auto loan by DCU. EQ --> 716 Approved 30k at 2.9% and 5k visa at 9.2%....

I have no inquiries except for my phone and apartment. one on EX and the other on EQ.

I want to raise my credit limits on my credit cards.. Does Taking Hard pull hurt bad?

what is the credit card I should look for if I need a 8k+ CL ..? I will not use my inquiries for 2 more years again. Please help me on this.

My monthly paystub is 9900... 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice Needed..

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone..

I am new to the forum but I have been reading it from long time as a guest Smiley Happy . I read all your valuble suggestions. Now I need a suggestion for myself. I hope you all will guide me through..

I have 3 creditcards.

BOA Visa - 1000--> CLI made it -->2500 ( August 2010)  limit -- from 2years 9 months

Citi Visa - 500 limit from 2 years

Discover - 1000 limit from 2 years

I have never asked for a CLI on any other else.

I have all 3 buearues more than 715 ish.. 

Pulled EQ for an auto loan by DCU. EQ --> 716 Approved 30k at 2.9% and 5k visa at 9.2%....

I have no inquiries except for my phone and apartment. one on EX and the other on EQ.

I want to raise my credit limits on my credit cards.. Does Taking Hard pull hurt bad?

what is the credit card I should look for if I need a 8k+ CL ..? I will not use my inquiries for 2 more years again. Please help me on this.

My monthly paystub is 9900... 

What is your current AAoA? Since Amex HP EX....you may get a decent CL with them. Even if they start you out at $2-$4K, you'll be able to request a 3x CLI in 61 days, and that should bring you to $8K. CLI is all soft from Amex and you can hit the LUV button every 6 months. I have read a post here from another person that started out at $2K and currently sitting at $24K a few yrs later. And it appear you don't have a Amex card. Browse their website and see what card offer the rewards that fit your lifestyle. Amex BCE and BCP is a popular choice since most of us shop for groceries, gas, and department stores.

I am sure OP will chime in..........but from my personal experience with Amex, I started out with them in June, 2011. I apped for their SPG card and was rewarded with a CLI after 60 days - which brings my CL to $10K. On November, 2011, I apped for the Amex BCP and they started me out with a $10K CL. The card should be arriving any day now. I would be able to request a CLI in 61 days for the BCP card and I will ask for a total of $20K.

I also have 2 Chase CCs (Open in 2002, 2011) that started out $4K --------> $10K and Discover More that started out $2K --------> $14,500 (Open since 1999). But Amex have given me the biggiest CLI in the shortest period of time (less than 6 months). I would highly recommend Amex if you haven't app for one of their card already. Chase, Discover took me yrs to get to $10K and they are very frugal in terms of CLI imho. But YMMV.........

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. Happy Apping Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Citi, you need to be hitting that CLI button every 4 months!

BofA, when your new 9200 CL shows up on your credit you need to call back door and ask to be increased to this new card limit so you can make them your #1 card!

Discover I believe you can do automated phone every 6 months and it will be a soft and if they have to pull hard it will tansfer you and you can decline for that.

I might apply for like a new Citi Forward... they seem to be very generous with CL's

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much.. That advice boosted my confidence a lot.. 

I will definetly consider Amex now.. I was thinking about Barclays apple because I saw one of my friend being approved for 3500 on recon. I will wait for my 5K Visa to start reporting to the credit buearus. Do you think that is good idea? or do you want me to go ahead and do it.?

I cant really use Amex for outside world travel though but I will use here in the states much than any other and try to PIF... 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called in discover today and asked for 6k CLI and the rep asked me for a hardpull and I declined it.

I didnt try with Citi Yet because I feel like they will hardpull.. so

I have to check with BOA too in mean time...

Message 5 of 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

BOA has moved to a policy of a hard pull for CLI's recently and theres not a lot you can do to get around it.  Discover is tight, I'm not surprised they declined it with a soft.  I don't have any experience with Citi but it can't hurt to give them a call.  With your scores and income Amex would love you.  App with them and they will likely match your BOA limit and are very good at CLI's with heavy usage.  Get a BCE or BCP and wear it out, then on your 61st day call in for a CLI.  Amex loves the combo of good credit and high income.

Another suggestion is to go to a credit union.   Penfed is open to everyone and are generous with credit lines.  They are consertative on approvals but once you in their good graces the CL's are generous.  If you qualify for membership with Navy I wouldn't be surprised to see $20k.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably I should wait a week or so to apply for Amex I think.. I am approved by DCU for 5k visa at 9.2% apr.... I would love that if AMEX can match that.. normally how many days does it take to show up on the credit report for that 5k?... I will receive that card coming thursday... what do you suggest me on this...

Does AMEX has a combination of a card that I can use for both Balance Transfer and 0% apr for more than or equal to 12 months.. 

Please throw in some light...

Message 7 of 8
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much.. That advice boosted my confidence a lot.. 

I will definetly consider Amex now.. I was thinking about Barclays apple because I saw one of my friend being approved for 3500 on recon. I will wait for my 5K Visa to start reporting to the credit buearus. Do you think that is good idea? or do you want me to go ahead and do it.?

I cant really use Amex for outside world travel though but I will use here in the states much than any other and try to PIF... 

You have 2 Visa and 1 Discover....maybe find a MC and Amex to complete your collection.

Barclays has a couple of other cards you can look at that gives out decent CL. The Priceline Rewards Visa (you already have Visa) and Travelocity Amex. 

I believe Barclays mainly pull TU. Just remember one thing, know what lender pulls what report to give you a better idea on your approval chances.

Which ever is your cleaniest credit report, focus on a lender that will pull that report. Why? Because the cleaner it is...the better the approval chances and starting CL. And it's easier to get a CLI after approval or recon if declined.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.