Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Please. . .

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice Please. . .

I re-established my credit a few years ago 100% thanks to the myfico community and am now in the process of cleaning up my husbands.  He applied for a few cards online and of course got the, "We're processing your application.  You will receive notification in a few weeks."  So we forgot about it and a couple of weeks later he got two cards in the mail.  One is a CapOne card with a $300 limit and the other is CreditOne (1st time I've heard of them) also with a $300 limit.  The CreditOne card has a $75 annual fee the first year then it goes up to $99/year.  Such a rip off. 

He activated the Cap1 and we used it for dinner the other night.  I plan on leaving a $5 balance on it every month.  But I'm thinking I should just cancel the Credit1 card.  My inquiry is two fold:

1.  Would it be better to keep both cards and endure the annual fee on the Credit1 for a couple of years or should I cancel it and just try to establish his credit with the Cap1?  Would keeping both cards be better for his credit?

2.  If I decide to cancel the Credit1 card can I do so without having to pay the annual fee we've already been billed for?  The Terms and Conditions say we must cancel in writing so apparently I can't just call and do it over the phone.  We have not even activated the card.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice Please. . .

If you can cancel the card without paying the fee I'd do so and then go find a different option for a second card; that said, if you can't, keep it for eleven months and plan to upgrade your husband's tradelines (if needed) at the year mark.  A large number of quality credit cards in the current market open up around there, and the CreditOne card does report to all three bureaus AFAIK.

        
Message 2 of 5
mpswirl
Valued Member

credit one is a rip off, gid rid of it as soon as you can. i believe you pay interest on everything you buy with that card no matter if you pay it the next day

ex 669 tu 689 eq 658
these scores are a few months old
goal 700 club
Message 3 of 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

You likely have been billed the first AF already. If that is the case keep it for 11 months and cancel it.

If you call up credit one and find out the AF has not been charged or can be refunded, then cancel it.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your input.  Sounds like we'll be calling CreditOne tomorrow and if they make us pay the fee we'll keep the card until we can get my hubby a better one.  I really appreciate you guys!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.