Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for Capital One Upgrade

tag
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

Advice for Capital One Upgrade

I have been following some other recent threads and would be interested in some feedback on what is the best way to most likely end up with a product change option from Capital One. I have a Platinum MC from 2002 which was my first credit card and had a starting credit line of $5K. Not knowing anything about credit cards at that time, I carried a balance for years while paying off part each month without ever paying it off in full until early last year when I discovered credit card rewards. In February 2016, I received an automatic CLI to $8K. I also received another CLI to $12.5K in December 2019 when I asked for a CLI for my second Capital One card but was denied for that one and given a CLI for this card. It has an annual fee of $5/month and a 14.9% variable APR. I just accepted a 0% offer on all purchases until June 2022 but never use the card at all since early 2021 because it has no rewards and I have lots of other cards that earn rewards. It would appear that this card is not bucketed.

I also have a QuicksilverOne Visa from 2003 that was originally a Platinum Visa until June 2021 when I discovered a product change via adding /productupgrade to the URL for the card's page. This card had a $750 credit line from opening date until June 2020 when I requested a CLI after heavily using it and also requesting CLIs several times before. That CLI was for $100. Several requests since have yielded no CLI. I suspect this card is definitely bucketed. The APR is 12.15% variable with a $49 annual fee from the beginning.

I also asked for a CLI for both of these cards last week and was denied on both due to, "Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low."

What I would really like is to product change the Platinum MC to a Savor (even SavorOne) or Venture but I recognize that this seems nearly impossible for the Savor and probably unlikely for the Venture. I would even be okay with a product change to a regular Quicksilver if nothing else. What is the best way to most likely get an option for an upgrade? I was recently denied for the Capital One Spark Cash Plus (see my thread about that) and they listed my EQ5 as 760. My FICO 8 are all 799-815 right now. Is heavy spend the most likely way to possibly get an upgrade? What would heavy spend look like? Is it high usage, more transactions, or what?

I am tempted to close both cards but since my next oldest card was opened in November of 2019, I am hesistant to do that. Those cards and a few AU cards help my AAoA a lot even though I have opened a number of cards in the last two years. I am interested in the product change options mostly because of Chase 5/24 and not wanting to open another personal card to delay getting under 5/24 in January.

Bold are regularly used for spending
AOD Visa Signature | Curve Card | X1 Credit Card | Target RedCard | Venmo Card
AMEX: Schwab Platinum | 2 x Gold | Green | 2 x Business Platinum | 2 x Business Gold | Blue Business Plus
AMEX: Amazon Business Prime | Delta Reserve | Delta Reserve Business | Marriott Bonvoy Business
Chase: Aeroplan | Amazon Prime | World of Hyatt | World of Hyatt Business | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase: Ink Business Cash | Ink Business Preferred | Southwest Performance Business
BofA: Alaska Airlines Business | Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards
Citi AAdvantage Executive | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Business
U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards | U.S. Bank Business Platinum | GM Business Card
Apple Card | Navy Federal Flagship Rewards | PenFed Gold | PenFed Platinum Rewards
Capital One Platinum | Capital One QuicksilverOne | FNBO Evergreen Business
Player 2: Delta Platinum AMEX | Chase Freedom | 2 x Chase Freedom Flex | Apple Card
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice for Capital One Upgrade

As far as Savor or SavorOne, might as well place that aside as an option for PC. It likely won't happen unless they lax the PC restrictions for some cardholders and somehow miraculously you get a targeted invite or an upgrade offer when you call them. 

Best bet is to look for a Venture One or QS upgrade/PC. I don't think I've seen a straight-off Venture upgrade (from a Platinum MC) as an option, but I'm sure some folks can chime in with their experiences. I would say definitely keep trying until both of them can be PC'd. The Quicksilver One is usually the most challenging to PC from what I've read. Also, if you don't see your option online, call them. Anecdotal evidence has shown that some folks have had success calling for a PC when the online method doesn't yield any results, but results will vary.

If your goals are still geared towards Chase, and because of 5/24, don't close them (or if you prefer to close one or any dead weight that's up to you). Closed accounts still factor into AAoA for a very long time.

Message 2 of 10
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

Recently, they have been urging me to upgrade on their own. When you log in, do you have any pop ups or banners offering the upgrade?

A while ago, someone posted a link for a webpage that would allow you to inquire about a PC but I think Capital One closed that loop.

In my opinion, Capital One is one of, if not the best, credit card bank for rebuilding unsecured credit. Their terms are fair and they are an honest and ethical bank. Having said that though, rebuilder Capital One cards have a sell-by date. Meaning, they served their purpose for building or rebuilding credit. Capital One's very odd and perverse business model is that for many of these rebuilder cards, they will never grow. And at that time, it is appropriate to close the accounts. 

Easy for me to say because I would never want to part with my oldest credit card; but paying annual fees to them after nearly 20 years of cardmembership for no reason is unacceptable. I really wish they would get some new leadership over there and learn to grow with their cardmembers. 

As FinStar said, the closed accounts will continue to report and be included in your AAoA for up to 10 years. By then, that 2019 card will have aged nicely. 

Message 3 of 10
Trini88
Established Contributor

You were able to PC your Platinum Visa into a QuicksilverOne Visa. Now you are trying to PC your Platinum MasterCard into a Savor or SavorOne/Venture or VentureOne.

From what I read on here that's not possible to product change into a Savor or SavorOne but my husband was able to product change his regular Quicksilver into a Venture or VentureOne (don't remember, I don't pay attention to his cards too well). But that's from him first product changing his Platinum MC into a Quicksilver and then Quicksilver into the Venture Family.

Goal Cards:
Message 4 of 10
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the responses. It's also good to hear that at least product change success is possible from Quicksilver to Venture or VentureOne. I'm going to try doing more spend on the card. I'm still hesitant to cancel both cards due to the eventual AAoA effects. Hopefully I can get a product change on at least the Platinum to a Quicksilver if nothing else if I start using it for more spend. I'm going to try a few hundred dollars a month so I don't have significant opportunity costs by using these no rewards or low reward cards and see what happens.

AMEX: Schwab Platinum | 2 x Gold | Green | 2 x Business Platinum | 2 x Business Gold | Blue Business Plus
AMEX: Amazon Business Prime | Delta Reserve | Delta Reserve Business | Marriott Bonvoy Business
Chase: Aeroplan | Amazon Prime | World of Hyatt | World of Hyatt Business | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase: Ink Business Cash | Ink Business Preferred | Southwest Performance Business
U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards | U.S. Bank Business Platinum | GM Business Card
Apple Card | Navy Federal Flagship Rewards | PenFed Gold | PenFed Platinum Rewards
Player 2: Delta Platinum AMEX | Chase Freedom | 2 x Chase Freedom Flex | Apple Card
Message 5 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Alephbet wrote:

Thanks for the responses. It's also good to hear that at least product change success is possible from Quicksilver to Venture or VentureOne. I'm going to try doing more spend on the card. I'm still hesitant to cancel both cards due to the eventual AAoA effects. Hopefully I can get a product change on at least the Platinum to a Quicksilver if nothing else if I start using it for more spend. I'm going to try a few hundred dollars a month so I don't have significant opportunity costs by using these no rewards or low reward cards and see what happens.

On oct 13th i was able to upgrade my platinum to the QS no af thru the /productupgrade method. 2 days later at 6 months i got a cli from 300-1800, a big raise for a starter card.

i read a ton of cap 1 cli posts on this forum and came to the consensus that if you spend 30-45 percent of your limit per month and then pif after the statement cut was the best method for a cli. it worked i got a nice cli, or it was just dumb luck.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 6 of 10
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Alephbet wrote:

On oct 13th i was able to upgrade my platinum to the QS no af thru the /productupgrade method. 2 days later at 6 months i got a cli from 300-1800, a big raise for a starter card.

i read a ton of cap 1 cli posts on this forum and came to the consensus that if you spend 30-45 percent of your limit per month and then pif after the statement cut was the best method for a cli. it worked i got a nice cli, or it was just dumb luck.

That's good to hear. I don't really want a CLI until I get a product change since I already have a $12.5K credit line on the Platinum MC. I'm hesitant to spend $3750-$5625 per month on a no reward card though. I'll try a smaller amount and see what happens. On the QuicksilverOne, I can do 100% of the credit line every month but I don't want anything over 29% or preferably 9% balance at statement cut though so would PIF before the statement closed typically. Thanks for the confirmation that it is possible!

Message 7 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Yes i understand, spending 30-45 percent a month on a big balance card would be hard to pull off for an extended time for the average person. i'm dying to see someone with a low limit cap 1 do the 30-45 spend per month and pif after the statement cut just to see if they get a nice cli after 6 months. maybe someone with a cl from 300-1000

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 8 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Message 9 of 10
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Try the link and see what it tells you:

https://verified.capitalone.com/auth/signin#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgradehttps://verif... 

No HP.

I have tried this link before but it hasn't worked for several months for me. What does work, although I always get "no upgrade available," is going to the page for one of my cards after logging in and then adding /productupgrade to the end of the URL. That will show "no upgrade available" and then often show a "something went wrong" or something like that error after that. My Platinum Visa to QuicksilverOne Visa upgrade happened this way. Thank you for the suggestion!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.